Old 03-03-2015, 12:47 PM   #21
Guru

If money is not the issue a 3.5- 4KW unit with two or more cylinders in a sound box with exhaust separator would be best unless you have need for more power on a fairly regular basis while air is on.

eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Fort Pierce, FL
Vessel Name: Dot Calm
Vessel Model: 1982 32 Foot Island Gypsy Sedan
Send a message via Skype™ to islandgypsy
Will this do the trick?

I was told by the marina I bought the boat from to replace my current no working Inverter with this model:

AIMS Power PWRINV8KW12V New 8000 Watt Modified Sine Inverter - See more at: AIMS Power PWRINV8KW12V New 8000 Watt Modified Sine Inverter
AIMS 800 Power Inverter 8000 watt sine modified inverter for 12volt

The batteries are already on board.
Need this to power my AC, Refrig and a few lights when anchored.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Rick
PWRINV8KW12V New 8000 Watt Modified Sine Inverter

islandgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:35 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgypsy View Post
I was told by the marina I bought the boat from to replace my current no working Inverter with this model:

AIMS Power PWRINV8KW12V New 8000 Watt Modified Sine Inverter - See more at: AIMS Power PWRINV8KW12V New 8000 Watt Modified Sine Inverter
AIMS 800 Power Inverter 8000 watt sine modified inverter for 12volt

The batteries are already on board.
Need this to power my AC, Refrig and a few lights when anchored.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Rick
PWRINV8KW12V New 8000 Watt Modified Sine Inverter
8000 watts is huge!

How big is you battery bank and what do have for recharging?
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:36 PM   #24

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
How much battery power do you have? It's pretty hard to run an air conditioner all night with an inverter. Some electric motors (compressors) can have problems with a modified sine wave.
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #25
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Your marina is nuts to recommend that inverter.

Most of what you said in your post was wrong or nearly impossible. Lights and refrigerators don't run on alternating current. They run on DC (well mostly maybe you have a home refrigerator). AC which I suspect you mean air conditioning requires at least 1,000 amphours of battery capacity to run a 16,000 btu A/C unit overnight, not to mention how you are going to recharge those batteries for the next night. And where are you going to connect your A/C unit that draws more than the 15 amp rating of each of those four outlets?

That AIMS inverter is Chinese and doesn't meet UL or ABYC marine specs. Where is the chassis ground that ABYC requires be wired back to the boat's DC ground bus.

It will be lucky to make it through the warranty period before it fails. It will fail in a few hours if you try to run it any where near its 8,000 watt rated output. Can you imagine how much heat will build up inside it at 90% efficiency- eight 100 watt lightbulbs worth. And can you imagine how much DC current it could draw at that rate- 750 amps. It takes two pairs of 4/0 conductors to handle that much current safely. Where do you attach four 4/0 conductors to that inverter.

I could go on and on.

Again, whoever told you to install that inverter doesn't know the first thing about marine electrical systems.

And why is this post in a generator thread?

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:39 PM   #26

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
The original poster was asking about a small generator because his inverter has died. I think his marina has given him some unrealistic expectations regarding a new inverter and running an air conditioner. Not only would an ac require a battery capacity of around 1000ah to run overnight (especially in Florida), but it would take hours of engine running to recharge the batteries.

I wonder where his marina has proposed installing this 8000 watt inverter? It better be close to the batteries if they are going to use the recommended dual 4awg cable connections.
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #27

City: weehawken nj
purchasing a MT 40 with Honda EU 3000i hung on transom wired directly into the ac panel on board. Handles electric under way... quite and cheap to operate.. stove, fridge etc. HVAC is reverse cycle on boat circuit. Not long distance cruiser but works for us when traveling. Cheap to fix or replace when necessary compared to Onan or like down below
fnuttersny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:41 PM   #28

City: Portsmouth, NH
Vessel Name: Misfit Toy
Vessel Model: 79' Mainship 34 MKI
I have a NextGen 3.5kw model w/out a sound enclosure. An awesome unit that simply works. Besides generating electricity, it also does a good job at making noise too. I wouldn't buy one unless it is in an enclosure, especially since you want to run A/C with it. I'd assume that is while you are inside the boat trying to read, watch tv, or sleep. Non of which you can do with a diesel genset in that size boat IMO unless you have some stellar engine room sound deadening. It goes against everything I like because having a higher output genset that runs on diesel fuel is great, I'd make a Honda EU2000i work.

I actually plan on bringing mine out on the mooring because I will need some supplemental electric space heat and battery charging for a few weeks till the weather changes up north. I would rather run the little Honda all night than have the Kubota rattle my fillings out trying to sleep.

Of course my boat is all electric so I really am not going to change anything up, need the NextGen to make hot water, cook on the electric stove, and charge batteries with 2,000 watts.
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Fort Pierce, FL
Vessel Name: Dot Calm
Vessel Model: 1982 32 Foot Island Gypsy Sedan
Send a message via Skype™ to islandgypsy
Sounds like you answered my question
islandgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:20 AM   #30
FF
Guru

RED DOT and others do make DC air cond units for truck sleepers.

About 8000BTU , enough for a cabin but not for an entire boat with large glass areas.

An inverter to run air cond from batts is not realistic , Your batts will fail in minuets.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:03 AM   #31
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
Have same boat with a 4kw

Hi, I have a similar IG and have installed a 4kw Kohler with a 2cylinder Yanmar engine. I added the access hatch shown and have soundproofed it.

The unit is quiet, runs at 1800. Handles at 16k btu ac, easily!

Best of all bought it used for under a grand.

JohnP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03487.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	38418  
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:14 AM   #32
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
" I'd assume that is while you are inside the boat trying to read, watch tv, or sleep. Non of which you can do with a diesel genset in that size boat IMO unless you have some stellar engine room sound deadening. "

What rpm does the nextgen run at. I have a 4kw kohler which runs at 1800. It has no box but is pretty quiet and smooth. Can do all the things you describe right in the salon above.

I have done an upgrade to the soundproofing on the bottom of the salon sole and hatches.

JohnP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03487.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	38419  
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:21 AM   #33

The NextGen 3.5kw runs at 2,800 rpm. It is a belt driven system. Someone may have a sound enclosure and offer up better review or its operation.

My Mainship does have sound deadening material in the salon but probably could use a lot more along with sealing up certain spots.

My thought process is unless you need to run A/C or large electric appliances (like hot water or stove), I'd rather just spend the money on alternative means of electricity creation. I only like running the genset when I decide to dinghy to shore for a shower and laundry.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #34
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
The NextGen 3.5kw runs at 2,800 rpm. It is a belt driven system. Someone may have a sound enclosure and offer up better review or its operation.

My Mainship does have sound deadening material in the salon but probably could use a lot more along with sealing up certain spots.

Your genset is installed in the saloon somewhere? Ours on the '87 Mk III was in the lazarette....

FWIW, I've seen some soft sound "boxes" -- look like a fitted insulated blanket. Dunno more about 'em, but might be worth a look...

-Chris
Old 03-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #35

PO installed it at the rear of the engine room, probably more work than it's worth to move to the lazarette position. Plus I really like that spot for storing my gear. I think Mainship puts all generators in the engine room from the ones I've seen on yachtworld.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #36
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
PO installed it at the rear of the engine room, probably more work than it's worth to move to the lazarette position. Plus I really like that spot for storing my gear. I think Mainship puts all generators in the engine room from the ones I've seen on yachtworld.

I don't know if ours was an original or aftermarket installation...

I think I remember it was sort of (mostly) underneath part of the cockpit deck; I think the aft part. There was lots of space left in the lazaratte for the inflatable dink, outboard, etc.

-Chris
Old 03-21-2015, 05:44 PM   #37
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Quote:
I have the NextGen 3.5 generator installed in a sound enclosure on my Mainship Pilot 34. I use it for cooking, hot water heating, the coffee maker in the morning, and a bit of battery charging, but not for running the A/C all night long. It could do it but I don't.

You definitely could sleep in the forward berth with it running in its sound enclosure to the aft of the engine room. But I doubt if the guy anchored behind us could. It emits an annoying putt, putt from the exhaust which is audible behind the boat but not so much inside it. That is the nature of one cylinder engines.

This genset is small, compact, relatively cheap and is fairly well built. It is as small a genset as I would want to have in any size boat.

David

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote