1983 Ocean 40 engine hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drew murray

I have two Ford Lewhman 120's on my Ocean 40. The Port has far fewer hours than the stbd and I was thinking of cruising for a bit with the Port only running for a time. Are there any negatives to doing this?

35 year old boat with only 3000 ish hours. I am guessing this is post a reset??

You can do it safely, but there are two things you need to watch:

1. You will probably let the non running engine freewheel in neutral. You can't do this safely with some transmissions, but the ubiquitous Velvet Drive is ok.

2. You will be putting more load on the running engine, similar to severe over propping. That is probably ok for the Lehman if you keep it down to 1,800 rpm or less, but any higher and you are probably putting too much stress on the engine.

David

I have two Ford Lewhman 120's on my Ocean 40. The Port has far fewer hours than the stbd and I was thinking of cruising for a bit with the Port only running for a time. Are there any negatives to doing this?

Why? I mean, how many hours are we talking here? In the grand scheme of things, would having the different hours on the clock make any difference to you or even a potential buyer? Sounds more like an OCD thing to me ;-)

Sounds like the Hobbs meter was replaced at some point. Put 12VDC to it, and let it catch up.

Greetings,
˙pɹɐoqɐ ǝɯoɔlǝM

Mr. dm. Some things come to mind...
-3000 hours on a 35 year old boat (~100hrs/yr) is average in a lot of places.
-How do you know the discrepancy is not a true indication of hours?
-Concur with Mr. TJ. Put 12V to it. Save the excess wear on the "low" engine.
-As Mr. TB asked "What's the problem"

I can FULLY appreciate IF the "problem" is, in fact, OCD. I've been known to be a just a bit anal on occasion...

200w.gif

Last edited:
Hour meters are meant to record actual engine hours.

Having two that read identically the same is unnecessary and misleading, as it would indicate an OCD condition around always starting and stopping the engines together, and the generally false condition of never having had anything done to either engine. 1983 is 35 years of a variety of Sh*t happening to one or both engines, so identical readings just look false. 3000 hours in 35 yrs indicate much lower than average use in some or many of those 35 years. You just can't go that many years without SOMETHING happening to one or both.
Easy to learn to live with the different readings.

When I got my boat, one hour meter read around 3000 hours, the other was not functional, so I paid so little attention to the reading that I no longer recall what it was. I put in a pair of new Hobbs meters and by the time they read 1500 or so, I swapped out the engines. The newer engines came with their own hour meters, integral to the tachometers, so I have a new baseline, accurate on each at the lower helm. Up top, I had to hunt up a new pair of tachometers, each with integral hour meters. Those came from different sources, so have random readings. If I were truly OCD I would have connected them to 12v dc for the time it takes to make them the same as those on the lower helm. They are now in place 18 years, so I doubt that will ever occur.
Last week I had an insurance survey, after 7 yrs. The surveyor reported hours on the helm, tach, meters. Luckily I was there, or he would have reported on the Hobbs that are now disconnected. I doubt anyone reads that part of the survey report, but it is a source of history.
Those readings are now around 150 hours apart, as I had a major failure at the beginning of the season and ran on one engine from the end of June until mid Sept, when I took the boat in for repairs to that engine. Hour meters track that difference.

One of my engines has 25% more hours than the other. Mechanic finally realized why and told me that one side had been repowered probably in the early days (no log from early days) as the serial numbers had a large variance. Not sure of it’s true but sounded reasonable!

You might expect close serial number on two engine but that doesn't have to be true. A builder may have an engine in stock for a while then order another much later.

If you really want the meter to be close just turn on the key but don't start the engine for the required hours.

IMO a few hours difference is normal.

As long as they are both working well I wouldn't worry.
Service them meticulously and the only points I would raise on the Ford engines is to keep anti-freeze in all year round, this keeps the galleries clean and keeps the liner seals from hardening.

IF you find you are making oil ie level rising on the dipstick without adding any.

Remove the rocker cover and run the engine slowly, check the injector leak of pipe brazed joins for cracking(leaking).
If it continues check the lift pump seal. Other than that great engine, we used many for driving large pumps and compressors.

By the way the engines are still manufactured in Turkey, the best Ford man in the UK is Mike Bellamy Marine.co.uk.

Lots of hour meters are erratic or inaccurate. Got a box of dead or crappy ones in my shop.

Before you go through gyrations to even out the numbers, make sure the meters are clocking accurately on your next run.

FORGETABOUTIT , install 2 new meters and use then to clock PM.

Back
Top Bottom