gearbox
steering

Allan

AllanY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:02 AM   #2

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Trawler
RE: 120hp Lehman lube

engine depends on the water temp you are running in. in the northeast I use straight 30 wt. you may want 40 wt. transmission is just regular old ATF. and steering system is just ATF aswell. call american diesel.

albin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
Guru

Allan, Bob Smith at American Diesel has always recommended straight 30 wt. oil for that engine and that is what we use. You really should not put transmission fluid in your steering. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
120hp Lehman lube

Hiya,
** As a blanket statement I agree*trans*fluid should not be used as a "universal" fluid BUT I think some units DO use*trans fluid.* Best to check with the manufactuer or someone who REALLY knows what to use before adding possibly the wrong fluid

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Saturday 22nd of May 2010 07:50:08 PM
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: -
120hp Lehman lube

On the advice of our diesel shop and other people we know in the marine diesel business we have run Chevron Delo 400 30wt. in our Lehman 120s since buying the boat 12 years ago. We use the same oil in the Simms injector pump. The owners manual for the Lehman 120 contains a chart calling out the recommended oil weights for different climate temperatures. 30wt is the recommendation for the PNW climate.

It was strongly recommended to us by the aforementioned people not to use multi-viscosity oils or synthetic oils in our engines, so we never have. However, I do know of people who have used both of these types of oils in Lehman 120s and they claim to have had (so far) good success with them.

We have Borg Warner Velvet Drive transmissions and the only recommended fluid for them per our VD operators manual is ATF (Dexron). It's been pointed out on the GB owners forum that the VD manuals for later years still recommend ATF but also state that engine lube oil can be used. I know of a couple of GB owners who run the same Delo 400 30wt in their transmissions that they use in their engines. However I would recommend staying with the BW VD operator's manual recommendation and use ATF unless you simply cant' get it.

We don't have hydraulic steering so I have no idea what the recommended fluid for that would be.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 22nd of May 2010 07:59:25 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Marin wrote:On the advice of our diesel shop and other people we know in the marine diesel business we have run Chevron Delo 400 30wt. in our Lehman 120s since buying the boat 12 years ago.*
Ditto for me as well....used same brand oil in my last 7 boats.

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:43 AM   #7

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Trawler

my albin calls for atf in the steering system
albin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

I use straight Delo 400 40 wt. in my Lehman 135, since I'm in a warm climate (Texas). The borg warner tranny will take ATF or straight 30 wt. When I had it rebuilt, I switched over to the ATF. 8KW Westerbeke genset takes straight 30 wt.

To simplify matters, the PO used straight 30 wt. in all three and that seemed fine at 4000+ hrs.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Rotella-T SAE30 in the 120 Lehman and ATF in the BW tranny. At some point in the near future I will change to SAE30 synthetic.
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:23 AM   #10
FF
Guru

At some point in the near future I will change to SAE30 synthetic.

Many OTR trucks switch for the better fuel milage,

BUT on a boat I would be very cautious as the big advantage of synthetic , faster draining from surfaces , may cause severe rusting on not used engines.

A quart or two of synthetic will allow the better sheer strength of Synthetic with out the rusting cylinders.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
Guru

Every mechanic I have ever contacted and everyone involved in the Lehman 120, including American Diesel cautions NOT to use synthetic oil in these engines. Keep in mind with most posts from FF that he is referring to trucks and most of us are discussing boats. By his own post he cautions on using synthetic so one has to wonder why post the information other than add to your post count. It can get confusing.
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Quote:
FF wrote:

At some point in the near future I will change to SAE30 synthetic.

Many OTR trucks switch for the better fuel milage,

BUT on a boat I would be very cautious as the big advantage of synthetic , faster draining from surfaces , may cause severe rusting on not used engines.

A quart or two of synthetic will allow the better sheer strength of Synthetic with out the rusting cylinders.
FF, are you advocating mixing synthetic with dino oil?????
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #13
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

Rotella T, single wt. 30 for me.

But now it seems to be called Rotella T1 for some reason.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
120hp Lehman lube

Quote:
Baker wrote:FF, are you advocating mixing synthetic with dino oil?????
You will find that many (most?)*lube oils sold as "synthetic" and many not even*labled as synthetic*are a blend of mineral and*synthetics.

Find out what*base stock your favorite lube oil is made from.

-- Edited by RickB on Thursday 27th of May 2010 12:56:18 PM
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #15
Scraping Paint

City: -
120hp Lehman lube

I have seen occasional posts on the T&T list and on the GB forum from people who said they switched their FL120s to synthetic oil. They have cited no problems and listed benefits with less smoke being the primary one and probably other things, too that I don't remember. In most cases, while their engines sometimes had a fair number of hours on them when they switched, they had run the engines on synthetic oil for a few hundred hours at most at the time of their posts. I've not yet seen a post from anyone who's run an FL120 on synthetic oil*for many thousands of hours or many years

But all the people we know or have talked to who are familiar with the FL120 on a professional basis have recommended using a single weight, conventional oil, and so far as I know, there have been no problems with using this oil since the engine was first produced in the late 1950s. The FL120 has a reputation for being a 12,000 to 14,000 hour engine in well-maintained recreational service, and they have gone as much as 25,000 hours in continuous commercial service with the Washington State Ferry system according to American Diesel, all of it on the recommended "dinosaur" oil.

So it would seem that there aren't any penalties or even potential penalties for using the oil the engine was designed originally to use. On the other hand, there seem to be plenty of questions about and reccomendations against using synthetic oil (and some engine pros we've talked to even recommend against using multi-viscosity conventional oil in this engine).* So my way of thinking is that even if some of what the pros say is wrong or outdated, why take the risk, however small it may or may not be, when the risk can be eliminated by using what the manufacturer recommended at the outset?

If synthetic is all that's available in some area, so it's a matter of use it or not run the engine, then I guess one has no other choice. But where the recommended single-weight, conventional oil is available, why try to fix something that isn't broken?

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 27th of May 2010 05:38:11 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:50 AM   #16
FF
Guru

120hp Lehman lube

. Keep in mind with most posts from FF that he is referring to trucks and most of us are discussing boats.

The lorry or tractor based Lehman Econo-power marinizations are a good use on a fairly light duty engine for similar use burning a few GPH.

They do not suffer much from underloading and last a long time.

The usual fear with synthetic was LEAKS from the old gaskets on 30 year old engines.

Chemistry helps and many synthetics use the same stuff as an auto tranny gasket swelling stuff found at NAPA.

Weather its an industrial engine , truck engine or car transplant the use in most boats gives long , sometimes REALLY long periods of no use.

My point with Synthetics is any "benefits" will need to be evaluated vs the chance of rusting the internals .

Yes synthetic and dino oil are mixable , but I prefer to stick with the same brand when making the change over , one makeup quart at a time.

When allowd by the engine origional mfg , I* use single wt. dino oil .

-- Edited by FF on Friday 28th of May 2010 04:52:47 AM
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
120hp Lehman lube

Coming in a bit late here, but if memory serves, Allan's original query was re what oil in the tranny. My 35 yr old CHB Clipper 34 with FL 120 is mated to a Paragon tranny, as opposed to the Borg Warner, but definitely advises to use a Ford ATF Dexron type fluid, for what it's worth. However, I have been a bit intrigued re the discussion of what to use in the engine, and I admit, because I am a fan of the metal attracting/coating cold start protection technology involved, I have been using Castrol Magnatec Diesel oil in my engine. It is a 10/40W multigrade, as opposed to 30W single grade, but appears to work well, and I'm using it in the hope it does indeed give added cold start-up protection claimed, as this is the enemy of most engines which don't do a lot of long hot miles. So far, she is still running like clockwork after 8 ys since purchase, and using this oil, on original engine, never overhauled, and using virtually nothing between annual oil changes. Ok, I'm ducking already.......

Oh damn....we are now 2 goals down to Germany...I was hoping we would waste them.....

-- Edited by Peter B on Sunday 13th of June 2010 01:38:18 PM
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #18

City: Sidney, BC
Vessel Name: Penta
Vessel Model: 36' 1961 Sather ex-Gill Netter

One should be very careful to specify what transmission they are using when asking questions such as appropriate lube for them as it various considerably depending on the manufacturer.
In our case we have a Capitol gear and they specify Lubriplate APG-90 or if operating in low temperatures to use APG- 75.
I don't think ATF would do much for the insides of these gears and I for one am not about to experiment
As for the steering, well if its hydraulic I cannot see how it would vary much from any commercial equipment requirements and as such I use commercial equipment hydraulic oil in our Wagner gear and have done for years. I think that all the "packaged" specialty fluids such as put out by Seastar are just expensive variations of the commercial fluid.

John Tones "Penta"
Sidney, BC
Penta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #19
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
120hp Lehman lube

Fred,On 2 stroke engines synthetic oil really stays put on the pistons. You can see the oil through the exhaust ports * * ..looks like brush strokes on wet paint. And it stays on for a long time. Yea * .. the gasket problem (causing gaskets to shrink (actually I think it was an oil seal problem)) was fixed a long time ago by putting an additive in the syn oil that caused seals/and/or gaskets to swell as much as they were shrinking. As far as I know all syn lube has that additive. I see so few benefits from using syn oil in a boat I'd say save your money. It's like putting premium gas in your car that dos'nt ping on regular * * ..a waste of money. But if your'e running a racing engine that produces serious heat syn oil is almost (and in some cases is) a must. A very high output turbo'd engine running at or near WOT needs the temperature stability of a syn oil (lubericant). But I think there's only one downside to syn oil and that is cost.
Peter B
All those viscosity improvers in a 10-40W oil are not doing anything to lubricate your engine. We don't need or benefit from multi-vis oil. Even here in Alaska I don't see the need. If I was running a fire boat * * .. then yes.
I use Delo 30W in my engine, ATF in my BW and ATF in my hydraulic steering.

Eric

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Monday 14th of June 2010 04:49:15 PM
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #20

I use 15-40 Rotella in the FL 120, based on a discussion with Bob Smith, and 5-30 synthetic in my BW Velvet Drive tranny after I rebuilt it based on a conversation with the Velvet Drive distributor.

albin man is offline   Reply With Quote