Old 09-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #81
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: 1 engine or 2?

I personally think twins are more desirable in most respects but as I recall the original poster was shopping for a trawler and the issue of economical operation seems very important to the majority. And if economy is of great importance twins should be avoided. Singles will be much more economical and anyone keen on economy will be running at a speed that a single engined trawler can easily maintain w one engine. On most other counts the twin is better. I'm talking specifically about typical trawlers w one or two Ford Lehmans.

Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #82
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Eric, keel-protected propeller and rudder is a frequent attribute of single-engined vessels.* That was one of the three-highest criteria for my boat selection.* It's not merely the economy of purchase and operation.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:44 AM   #83
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Mark, thanks for reminding us*you have a single in your new vessel.

During the past year I talked to 3 recent and nearly sunk grounding skippers/yard owners*- all singles. In all cases the damage was severe. The issue was a hard grounding, falling tides and potential tip overs. Guess what - in one case the big Nordhavn was*auto steered to a misplaced way point! In another the sailing was too good to alter course. In the third, whale watching got in the way of prudence on a large commercial wooden vessel.

IMHO, singles vs twins nonsensical debates pale in comparison to poor decision making when underway. Thank God my wife has a good eye for crab pots.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #84
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

Quote:
Baker wrote:
Wowie....this is the humdinger of all topics and you will get opinions all over the map.

Actually, it's just the same old topic that keeps coming up every couple of months and ends up nowhere!! Really what difference does it make. There are two opposing opinions on the matter and nobody is going to change anyone elses mind. What it really boils down to, is which system you prefer and what you can afford.

So rather than have a bunch of pissed off people and hard feelings, let's all agree to disagree and leave it at that. :no:
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #85
Master and Commander

Since there is no correct or wrong answer as to whether single or dual engines are best, the "argument" can never end.* You pays your money and takes your choice.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #86
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Xraycharlie wrote:
I am planning to purchase a used trawler in the 40-45 foot range in the next few years. One of the things I am not sure about is going with one engine or two. I would feel safe with one engine while coastal crusing the ICW and Chesapeake bay but I want to go to the Bahamas, and going across the Gulfstream waters from Florida with only one motor makes me a little nervous. Can I get some input from my experienced friends on this site? What would happen if you lost power out in the Gulfstream? Or what would happen if you lost your only engine in the Bahamas, tow yourself in with a dingy? Can you get repairs done for a reasonable price in the Bahamas? At this point I feeling that it is worth the extra money and maintenence to have the second motor.
Charlie

If you'd like to pursue this further, you can click on the word "Search", just above here. White letters on the blue bar. Enter the search words "single vs twin" in the drop down box.*Many, if not all topics have been thoroughly discussed already on this forum. Take a look at the past discussions, and see if maybe you come up with new questions or comments.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #87
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
1 engine or 2?

For blue water cruising across large bodies of water and for MV less than say 75 feet, singles are the dominant choice and*"rule" the modern new build market. But wing engines abound (small twins if you may). The only blue water exception I've seen to this "rule" is the twin powered 65' Fleming Venture owned by Tony himself.

Dashew's 64 MV gets by for blue water cruisers without a stand alone wing engine by relying upon a jury rigged sail ala Coot. Since most of the Dashew buyers are sailors, this emergency option is*just *fine, but IMHO a non starter in coastal*waters where crab pots*and*leave-the-dock-quickly cruisers*(I'm one) abound.

The latest PMM has a nice article on wing engines. But also the magazine has an article on a 62 Horizon*which flies in the face of trawler logic. Steve D's final treatise on fuel additives was limp.*He also got taken to task by a reader who chided him for*a recent article on 120/240 and 3 phase.*At least Steve D puts himself out there!

-- Edited by sunchaser on Monday 12th of September 2011 06:52:11 AM
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #88
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:*At least Steve D puts himself out there!
More like PM magazine doesn't have anyone to fact check or is capable of editing a technical article.

The down side of publishing as many articles as SD is that he doesn't have time to research his material properly and the magazine doesn't differentiate between reportage and opinion or have a policy that requires*writers to inform the reader when technical writing becomes an editorial.*
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #89

I think in the future when this subject comes up (over and over and over...) I will just say I have two singles, everbody should be happy with that I think.
Avista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #90
Guru

Quote:
Avista wrote:
I think in the future when this subject comes up (over and over and over...) I will just say I have two singles, everbody should be happy with that I think.
*That's a good one
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #91
Master and Commander

Old 09-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #92
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

Exactly!! *It's like trying to keep childern from fighting. *You have to distract them with something. *

Maybe bring up somethng like the, dare I say it, the *. . . . . G. . . . U. . . . N *. . . . . . topic

they got stuck on for a while. *Not that I want to hear about that for the next six

months either!!
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #93
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

I have two engines, but I think 4 would be better.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #94
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986

The most I ever piloted was 6.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:01 AM   #95
FF
Guru

More like PM magazine doesn't have anyone to fact check or is capable of editing a technical article.

No problem , Cruising world is 30 years old and has no tech editor , and many, many hugely wrong articles.

Doesn't stop the add bucks tho.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote