Old 03-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #41
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
RE: 1 engine or 2?

And as far as the bow thruster goes....it could be considered an "extension" of sorts. I go to many waterside establishments by boat. I will say that most people do not get to see bow thrusters at work. Many don't even know what one is and wonder what the hell is going on up near the bow!!! And when I am using mine, the "peanut gallery" is quite enthralled with watching it work!!!...jus sayin'! IOW, you can show off with it to the not so informed. Obviously the informed will think you are cheating!!!

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #42

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Fluke
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
1 engine or 2?

Re: inflight diverts...

More 747s flying than 777s?

more 747 hours flown than 777s?

-- Edited by xfedex on Sunday 27th of March 2011 03:33:51 PM

xfedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #43

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse

Quote:
Baker wrote:...I have a single engine WITH a bow thruster!!!!!!**...
We have twin engines with both bow and stern thrusters.... no manliness issues on our boat - we just want to make it into our dock as easily as possible!
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #44
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
1 engine or 2?

Quote:
Delia Rosa wrote:Baker wrote:...I have a single engine WITH a bow thruster!!!!!!**...
We have twin engines with both bow and stern thrusters.... no manliness issues on our boat - we just want to make it into our dock as easily as possible!
*Double your pleasure.* Double your fun.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Sunday 27th of March 2011 04:52:35 PM
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #45
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Baker,

I'm not speak'in for myself or you either. I would'nt be making statements that intimate about anyone here**** ....I was speaking of people (guys) in general in our country. I'll bet a marketing expert would know all about it. And yes I prefer tall women too. I seem to marry the short ones though. The perfect woman is 5'8" and 160lbs. John, add a stern thruster and you'll be able to back up straight too. And if you had a twin you'd be better able to back up fairly straight in a cross wind. And if you're engine quits in a bad spot you've got options beyond the anchor. Just tooooo many advantages w twins.

Walt says:** "all boat decisions are mine as well as** the household budget" Sounds very traditional * * .....as in 1940.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #46
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.

I prefer single engines setup for all the usual reasons previously mentioned. I certainly would not let a good deal on a twin slip by just because it was a twin. Just my preference- no need to defend.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #47
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Quote:
Baker wrote:
And as far as the bow thruster goes....it could be considered an "extension" of sorts. I go to many waterside establishments by boat. I will say that most people do not get to see bow thrusters at work. Many don't even know what one is and wonder what the hell is going on up near the bow!!! And when I am using mine, the "peanut gallery" is quite enthralled with watching it work!!!...jus sayin'! IOW, you can show off with it to the not so informed. Obviously the informed will think you are cheating!!!
*BTW, did you hear Judge's closed up? All boarded up with a note "closed for winter". Now who's gonna believe that? Another note saying the dishwasher belongs to XXX and to call xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #48
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
And yes I prefer tall women too. I seem to marry the short ones though. The perfect woman is 5'8" and 160lbs
*My first wife was*two inches taller than me.* But believe, a five-foot-two female*is much better for us 68-incher-types, leastwhiles for me!

markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #49

1 engine or 2?

Just curious - do 767's have more flight diversions than 747's, on long haul flights? Or DC-10's? Perhaps the 777 have newer engine technology, so more reliable.
(I've always been a fan of 747's - my Dad worked for 36 years in VARIG, the Brazilian carrier).

And - as an aside - what's your thoughts on Aerobus and fly by wire?

-- Edited by 7tiger7 on Sunday 27th of March 2011 09:19:01 PM
7tiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #50
Guru

Quote:
7tiger7 wrote:

And - as an aside - what's your thoughts on Aerobus and fly by wire?

*Oh please don't go there.*

Fly by wire was designed for folks who don't know how to fly. Or perhaps big brother watching over you so you can't hurt yourself.*
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #51
TF Site Team

Xfedx, that was based on an average....on a per flight hour basis....not just a gross comparison.

Tiger...not sure about 767s...although that is what I fly. I had just read it in a particular article in AW&ST. It really wasn't an issue of engine technology...just about the reliability of flight ops as it relates to the number of engines.

Not a fan of Airbus either. There have been a couple of accidents that are not directly related to FBW but they are related to the philosophy of Airbus. But strangely, nobody brings it to light. My pure speculation ref the Air France flight out of Rio(147???) was an issue of "garbage in....garbage out". I do believe the pilots got themselves in a bad situation(flew into thunderstorms) and then the pitot tubes froze up....giving bad data to the "envelop protection"" computers and ultimately did not allow the pilots to fly out of the situations. And let's not mention that the entire crew had less total time than me....in total!!!! That is a RickB arguement. But ultimately, it was the pilot's fault(my speculation) and the "envelop protection" provided with bad data sealed their fate....again....total speculation on my part.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:58 AM   #52
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

It took me a while to figure out what that symbol on the hull meant.*

markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:51 AM   #53
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
It took me a while to figure out what that symbol on the hull meant.*

**********I think it shows where your bow thruster is?** Right?** JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:27 AM   #54
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

"Nuclear reactor here."
Tom.B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #55
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

I've always called boats like this a "penis extender."

Never thought about questioning my own masculinity, only other people's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	penis-extender.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	5497  
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #56
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

"Must......... get.......... to............. fish....................FAST!!!! Fish, Fish, Fish, Fish, Fish, Fish, Fish."
Tom.B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #57
TF Site Team

1 engine or 2?

Quote:
Egregious wrote:

*Woody, that is not really a penis extender. *That boat actually has a purpose. *It is the go fast boats that I call penis extenders. *Every time one flies by us...my wife holds up her hand with index finger and thumb out.....about an inch apart....haha

-- Edited by Baker on Monday 28th of March 2011 09:26:43 AM
Old 03-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #58
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

Quote:
Baker wrote:Egregious wrote:

*Woody, that is not really a penis extender. *That boat actually has a purpose. *It is the go fast boats that I call penis extenders. *Every time one flies by us...my wife holds up her hand with index finger and thumb out.....about an inch apart....haha

-- Edited by Baker on Monday 28th of March 2011 09:26:43 AM

My wife does the same thing!

I assume you're joking, right?* 4 X 300 HP and that is not a "go fast" boat?* Used to be a fishing boat meant it was comfortable in heavy seas and went fast enough to get you there.* I'm sorry, you can't drive 60MPH in even moderate seas and still be safe.* But my definition of fishing is a surf rig and some blood worms...
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #59
TF Site Team

I guess all I am saying is that I don't think he hung those engines just for the sole purpose of going fast....for going fast's sake. He did it to get to the fishing grounds faster. It is common around here because the deeper water starts about 60 miles from Galveston(Red Snapper....Tuna and Billfish you have to go 100 miles). There is a BIG difference between going 20 knots and going 50 kts when you have to cover 60+ miles going both ways. And it isn't always about going fast in "moderate seas". Most people don't enjoy fishing in "moderate seas" and don't even attempt it. But if you can cruise at 50-60kts you can sure get a lot of fishing done around these parts!!!!....and still make it back in the same day! THis isn't an issue if there is a drop off near where you fish....like in the Pacific...or even the canyons near New Orleans. Those guys just stick their nose out and they are in 6000ft of water. We live on a friggin sandbar up here!!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #60
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

Quote:
Xraycharlie wrote:If you get a twin you do have the option of using just one engine. This has been discussed before on this forum:*http://www.trawlerforum.com/forum.spark?aBID=115492&topicID=38913265&p=3
Howdy again, to*all...

Being late to this # of engines - VS - fuel-economy*topic/party, I can see by reading every entry on*Xraycharlie's link (see above), that the 1 or 2 engine quandary has been considerably*hashed over previously in detail!* Basic*harmony to many of the entries...*"What's good for the goose ain't necessarily good for the gander!" Or, "Different strokes for different folks!" Or, in finality...*"Each to their own!"

With that said - and without getting into geometric*formulas: Simply by hours run in accordance with miles traveled between identical locations using exact same travel course - as per gallons used between fill ups...*I KNOW that my 34'*Tollycraft tri cabin planing hull*gets considerably better GPNM running on either*single screw at just below hull speed; rather than single screw at hull speed, or twin screw at either speed, or twin at*any a planing speed. Cheers! Art

PS: BTW, just for interest sake Our Tolly runs on her very clean bottom with low hour, well tuned, 1977 Mercruiser 350 cid 255 HP, carbureted gas engines... 71C BW transmission w/ 1.51 reduction... 17 x 16 props on 1.25" shafts.* I alter the use of single engine per each hour running*while cruising on one screw at below hull speed (around 6.5 knts)... keeps all the drive line juices flowing and similar hours per engine.* At full hull speed or on planing speeds I use twin screw so that no one engine can be over taxed.* The single screw below hull speed cruise is utilized in SF Bay Area Deltas fresh water canals where there are often 5 MPH speed limits while passing mariners/towns and for common courtesy applied for wake reductions when passing island docks and/or shore berthed boats.* So... aint no need to go fast therein anyway!* And, after all, in a comfortable cruising boat its the enjoyment of the journey that is equally as important as the destination reached! ***

Art is offline   Reply With Quote