Old 03-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
RE: 1 engine or 2?

Seems to me having two engines increases the chance of fouling them several fold over a single.* Want/need that protective keel.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #22
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
1 engine or 2?

Quote:
Baker wrote:Wowie....this is the humdinger of all topics and you will get opinions all over the map. I am in the single engine camp.
Quote:
******* For the type of boating I presently do, I believe the single screw is**** the way to go, for all the reasons listed. However, If my cruising grounds**** were similar to Don moon's, (Moonstruck) I would definitely have twinscrews. (speed + redundancy) I've always enjoyed this argument but can't understand why it should apply to all kinds of cruising. It should not be a "different strokes for different folks" comparison, but rather it should be selecting the boat (single/twin) for the intended mission. One size does not fit all.
Quote:
Photo #1: Short trips, bay cruising, cocktail cruises, etc..............(Single)
Quote:
Photo #2 Offshore fishing, 70+ mile hops, time constraints, etc....(Twin)
Quote:
Photo #3 Semi liveaboard, longer trips, decent speed, etc............(Twin)
Quote:
These boats and more were owned by me at various stages of my boating life. I enjoyed them all but not one of them fullfilled all the missions I've experienced so far. (Oh, they all could have done it but not very efficiently.)
Quote:
<blockquote style="padding-left:30px;">*

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Saturday 26th of March 2011 12:37:35 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	offshore.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	5479   Click image for larger version

Name:	tiara 35.jpg
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	5480   Click image for larger version

Name:	seahorse ii.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	5481  

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #23
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

You can spend anywhere from 500k to 2million for a Krogen or Nordhavn with a single engine.* It is not about whether money is no object, it is about personal choice.

Maybe we should also debate, triple and quadruple engine vessels.* If one engine can fail can't two or more breakdown too?

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:Baker wrote:Wowie....this is the humdinger of all topics and you will get opinions all over the map. I am in the single engine camp.
Quote:
******* For the type of boating I presently do, I believe the single screw is**** the way to go, for all the reasons listed. However, If my cruising grounds**** were similar to Don moon's, (Moonstruck) I would definitely have twinscrews. (speed + redundancy) I've always enjoyed this argument but can't understand why it should apply to all kinds of cruising. It should not be a "different strokes for different folks" comparison, but rather it should be selecting the boat (single/twin) for the intended mission. One size does not fit all.
Walt, I'm starting to have to rethink this whole situation.* I just didn't know how the psychology (I only took one course) plays into the single vs. twin engine thing.* Does twins with 1000hp mean that I have a large member or is it a 3 cyl. single engine?**Does the large twin engines mean that I am insecure?* Eric, help me out here.* You seem to have given it some thought.** Or ......*am I conflicted because I have*both a twin and a single screw boat?* I'm really needing some kind of guidance!***

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Montreal
Vessel Name: septembre
Vessel Model: eagle 32'
1 engine or 2?

for me the safest thing to have connect on my motor is a pyrometer( exhaust temperature gauge).
When this thing go on ... it is not to late, generally you could fix the problem.I have one install on my main and the other one on my genset.
This was the first thing that i install on my boat.

-- Edited by septembre on Saturday 26th of March 2011 04:22:12 PM

-- Edited by septembre on Saturday 26th of March 2011 04:23:01 PM

-- Edited by septembre on Saturday 26th of March 2011 04:24:06 PM
septembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #26

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Fluke
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Nomadwilly, my bow thruster comment was meant to be in jest. It harkens back to a thread that disclosed some opinions that there is something wrong with using a thruster . I think they are handy. I use mine when ever I need to. Before I REALLY need to.

In the single vs twin debate, will all probably favor what we have. It is a big factor in deciding which boat we finally bought.
xfedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote: ......*am I conflicted because I have*both a twin and a single screw boat?* I'm really needing some kind of guidance!***
******** Don: Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't your Sabre (twin) the boat you run* offshore and your single, in inland waters? If that is correct, we are on the same page.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:Moonstruck wrote: ......*am I conflicted because I have*both a twin and a single screw boat?* I'm really needing some kind of guidance!***
******** Don: Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't your Sabre (twin) the boat you run* offshore and your single, in inland waters? If that is correct, we are on the same page.

*Walt, the Sabre is twin 500hp Yanmars.* The Blackfin is a single 3208 turbo Cat.* Just having some fun at Eric's expense I guess.* Just thought it was an interestig theory.* I have also owned a 34 Mainship Pilot single with a bow thruster.* Loved it.* To further complicate my quandry, the Sabre has twins and a bow thruster.*

Old 03-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #29
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
1 engine or 2?

Charlie,

Having no more info to go on than your original post, I'd say that you might be a twin guy. I, personally, prefer single, but I was new to it and didn't need the extra expense. Plus, I am just cruising the ICW for the foreseeable future, so a the so-called "get home" engine is unnecessary. Besides, one good motor is plenty for me. However, we don't know much about you. What is your experience? What is you budget? There are too many questions.

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Saturday 26th of March 2011 06:42:21 PM
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #30
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Well guys I hope we all had fun. fedex caught me off guard and I'm w him. At least I would be if I had a thruster or two. I'd use it lots. Most everybody seems to be happy w what they have**** ....no surprise as they/we bought what we bought. I seem to be a weird dude w a single and preferring a twin. I'm in situations where I feel the redundancy of the twin would clearly be the thing to have. When we came up here in 06 we came out of Slingsby Channel and turned north along the coast in front of and by Cape Caution w 25 knot onshore winds. We did that just after a leak in the cooling system was discovered and repaired that probably would have shut us down. Right then and there I would have loved to have had a twin. No doubt about it. I had'nt thought of it as a major issue in the twin/single debate but on reflection Walts point about what kind of boating one does is indeed a major issue. In the last single v/s twin debate I don't think it was brought up. So if you had a twin Walt I'd trade ya boats. Would be nice if it had a FB though. Mike, now that I've seen the trailing edge of your keel my opinion of the DeFever just went up ...* more than a notch.* Sure wish my Willard's keel looked like that. ************************************************** ************************************************** ***
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:04 AM   #31
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
1 engine or 2?

Quote:
Xraycharlie wrote:
I am planning to purchase a used trawler in the 40-45 foot range in the next few years. One of the things I am not sure about is going with one engine or two. *

*Can I get some input from my experienced friends on this site?*

*Charlie,

There are quite a few new folks on TF that have just purchased boats.

Perhaps they can give you some insight as to what influenced their decision.*** KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 27th of March 2011 12:10:02 AM
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #32
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Who started this again?!

Keith - in the single engine camp.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #33

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse
1 engine or 2?

We're in the twin engine camp....*

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Sunday 27th of March 2011 04:28:16 PM
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Xraycharlie wrote:
I am planning to purchase a used trawler in the 40-45 foot range in the next few years. One of the things I am not sure about is going with one engine or two.*
*A true trawler in the 40-45 ft range is easily powered by a single normally aspirated engine many with a track record of excellent service. With proper service the likely hood*of a surprise engine failure is very small and in my opinion well worth the risk, even in the Bahamas. The extra cost and maintenance of another engine just makes the negative aspects (more work) of boating more apparent. Regardless I would carry an EPIRB or other reliable communication device when boating in isolated areas, regardless of one or 2 engines. If for nothing else, medical emergencies.*

But I think there are more issues to consider. When searching for a boat for me and my wife, I could not fine a trawler in our price range that my wife liked. Most where all beat to h*ll and I could hardly get her to look at them, ever though I felt there was potential. We finally settled on a go fast twin and I have no regrets. She loves going on the boat and that means more to me than anything else.*

I know this discussion is not about going fast or not, and having come from many years as a sailor I really thought a trawler would suit my needs. However now with the capability of going 15-20 knots our cruising area has expanded*exponentially. Our favorite anchorage is about 30 miles and just was not do able on a weekend when sailing. However now that and many other areas are easily cruised to on weekends with plenty of time at the anchorage. If you have all the time in the world, the go fast aspect is not as important of course, but just the capability of getting somewhere before sun set that you might not otherwise be able to do is comforting.*

Choice of engines is another important factor one that is not normally discussed. A normally aspirated Perkins or Ford Lehman even if somewhat abused is still pretty reliable. Not so with a high*performance*turbo charged diesel with raw water-cooling. I have two of these high*performance*diesels and though I can go like h*ll they can be*temperamental. They are reliable if properly maintained, but I don't think I would get a single engine boat with one of these engines.*

If you get a twin you do have the option of using just one engine. This has been discussed before on this forum:*http://www.trawlerforum.com/forum.spark?aBID=115492&topicID=38913265&p=3

My experience shows significant fuel savings though if you read the above thread not all agree. Some will argue why buy a twin if you cruise on one. My reply: Options; to save fuel if desired or get there fast if necessary.* Blocking of the shaft on the unused engine is necessary and probably more work that its worth, but to each his own.

Good luck on your search and let us know what you get.*

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #35
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Mike, I think it is interesting how the twin engine hull appears to be ready for conversion to a single???!!!!! Just an observation.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #36
TF Site Team

1 engine or 2?

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
Our life style robs men of huge amounts of masculinity and many feel the need to fill that hole.*

*Willy, speak for yourself!!! *No empty holes here!!! *I'm so comfortable in my manliness I sport my baldness with pride and my disproportionately hot wife is about 3 inches taller than I am.......AND...I have a single engine WITH a bow thruster!!!!!! *There are lifestyles that provide plenty of ego enhancement!!!...

-- Edited by Baker on Sunday 27th of March 2011 10:24:35 AM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	5490   Click image for larger version

Name:	764a.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	5491   Click image for larger version

Name:	chrome dome.jpg
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	5492  
Old 03-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #37
TF Site Team

AND............................

FWIW....B747 aircraft(4 engine) have more diversions during extended range operations than B777s(2 engine) do!!! That is fact....deduct whatever you want out of that!!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Baker wrote:*Willy, speak for yourself!!! *No empty holes here!!! __________________________________________________ ______________
******* LMAO!* I love it!! I concur. None here either.....all boat decisions are mine as well as** the household budget. (Now, Jennifer, don't get bent out of shape. It's strictly a guy thing!)
Old 03-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #39
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Baker wrote:...I have a single engine WITH a bow thruster!!!!!!**...
*Ditto!*
<table class="genmed" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td width="100">*</td><td width="40"></td></tr></tbody></table>
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #40
Guru

1 engine or 2?

Quote:
Baker wrote:
AND............................

FWIW....B747 aircraft(4 engine) have more diversions during extended range operations than B777s(2 engine) do!!! That is fact....deduct whatever you want out of that!!!!
*Hey guys, we need to cut Baker a lot of slack.* He is working under great pressure.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Sunday 27th of March 2011 04:06:39 PM