Zika in the Eastern Caribbean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bay Pelican

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Bay Pelican
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
While our group of friends, all retired, does not have to worry about the threat of Zika to unborn children we have been hit hard by this virus. In the last two weeks four friends have come down with strong symptoms. Yesterday one was taken to a hospital (and released). So far these are cases in St. Lucia and Martinique.

While life does not seem be threatened, the problem come in when the person who does the mechanical work on the boat is incapacitated. Leaks, broken pumps, water making all are ignored or left undone for ten days. We are all at anchor. So far we have all covered for each other.

I have long advocated that the woman on board should be able to launch and operate the dinghy and start the outboard. We have a case now where the woman is unable to do so and her husband is laid up. We are providing taxi service, but it is unsettling as to how isolated she has become.

Our anchorage does not have a marina. There is one in a neighboring town and yesterday the boat with the fellow who went into the hospital was moved to the marina by a couple of friends (med mooring is fun they say - like a parachute jump). But most of the cases have stayed at anchor.

Interesting point, wife is helpless without her husband. Almost seems selfish and irresponsible to follow your dream and drag your spouse along as a helpless partner. I have seen this more often than not in recreation boating. Maybe it's a ego thing, but it's stupid to not spend as much effort as it takes to get your partner proficient in understanding and running most of the systems on your boat. At home it's probably the norm to divide responsibilities, you know the man does the man stuff and the little woman does the woman's work, not a good idea to live in isolation and play the roll thing.
Last year an Australian couple anchored near me with a McGragor 55 sailboat. I asked them to come over for a visit that evening. It turns out the owner had had both of his hands blown up in Vietnam disarming a bomb. He and his wife sailed that 55 alone around the world. This is not a slow cruising boat but a planing 55ft sled. They hit over 18knts crossing from Hawaii to Alaska. Believe me his wife could do anything on that boat.
Last year I was disabled with a high fever over the fourth of July weekend, I was too sick to get out of bed. My daughter was able to get the boat home and to the dock. My wife is afraid to leave the dock unless we have additional person on board to handle lines, this is partly because she doesn't feel like she can handle the boat alone, I think if she felt comfortable running the boat she would be more willing cruise in the remote places I dream of. I'm working on getting her up to speed.

Bay Pelican; said:
...we have been hit hard by this virus.
Sorry to hear that, Marty.
How is it presenting and how quickly does it disable?
Good luck with it.

Last edited:
Scary; said:
Interesting point, wife is helpless without her husband. My wife is afraid to leave the dock unless we have additional person on board to handle lines, this is partly because she doesn't feel like she can handle the boat alone, I think if she felt comfortable running the boat she would be more willing cruise in the remote places I dream of. I'm working on getting her up to speed.
Is there a local Power Squadron that you could take together? Especially one that has on the water sessions.

Interesting point, wife is helpless without her husband. Almost seems selfish and irresponsible to follow your dream and drag your spouse along as a helpless partner. I have seen this more often than not in recreation boating. Maybe it's a ego thing, but it's stupid to not spend as much effort as it takes to get your partner proficient in understanding and running most of the systems on your boat. At home it's probably the norm to divide responsibilities, you know the man does the man stuff and the little woman does the woman's work, not a good idea to live in isolation and play the roll thing.
Last year an Australian couple anchored near me with a McGragor 55 sailboat. I asked them to come over for a visit that evening. It turns out the owner had had both of his hands blown up in Vietnam disarming a bomb. He and his wife sailed that 55 alone around the world. This is not a slow cruising boat but a planing 55ft sled. They hit over 18knts crossing from Hawaii to Alaska. Believe me his wife could do anything on that boat.
Last year I was disabled with a high fever over the fourth of July weekend, I was too sick to get out of bed. My daughter was able to get the boat home and to the dock. My wife is afraid to leave the dock unless we have additional person on board to handle lines, this is partly because she doesn't feel like she can handle the boat alone, I think if she felt comfortable running the boat she would be more willing cruise in the remote places I dream of. I'm working on getting her up to speed.

I think some gals enjoy the travels but do not want to learn how to manage the boat. If that is the case then the male captain needs to travel in such a way that would limit her exposure to being without help if he dies or becomes injured. If his dream is remote places, traveling in more populated areas is a sensitive compromise for her safety. But if she is willing then that is really great all the way around.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom