Old 01-09-2019, 06:25 PM   #1

City: PDX
Vessel Name: Lady Anne
Vessel Model: GB 52 Europa
Yaquina Bay bar accident

Another crabbing boat went down crossing one of the easier bars on the West Coast. Even with the Coast Guard boat standing by. Sad story.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2019...xperience.html

gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:09 PM   #2
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Been over that bar a few times on a big tug towing a lumber barge up and down the coast. First time we crossed weather was fine, just a little lump coming in. Skipper nor I had crossed it before, I was mate. So he had me in the wheel house keeping the boat over to one side of the channel, quite close to the jetty, while he was aft bringing in the wire, of which we had a bit too much of out still. Pucker factor elevated very quickly when an outbound troller decided to go between the jetty and the barge which was very close to the other side jetty! I saw him go out of sight behind the barge and thought, "he's a goner". We were literally taking up the whole channel from side to side. I saw a big blast of black smoke come out behind the barge, he had hooked it on, then out he came from behind, going full speed ahead to stay off the jetty! I was shaking like a dog s****n carpet tacks! We finally got the wire in and the barge closer to us and proceeded into Newport. I wont ever forget that day.

78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:12 PM   #3
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
WOW, when I first saw this thread I read Yaquina Gay Bar accident. Disappointed I am!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:20 PM   #4
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
Been over that bar a few times on a big tug towing a lumber barge up and down the coast. First time we crossed weather was fine, just a little lump coming in. Skipper nor I had crossed it before, I was mate. So he had me in the wheel house keeping the boat over to one side of the channel, quite close to the jetty, while he was aft bringing in the wire, of which we had a bit too much of out still. Pucker factor elevated very quickly when an outbound troller decided to go between the jetty and the barge which was very close to the other side jetty! I saw him go out of sight behind the barge and thought, "he's a goner". We were literally taking up the whole channel from side to side. I saw a big blast of black smoke come out behind the barge, he had hooked it on, then out he came from behind, going full speed ahead to stay off the jetty! I was shaking like a dog s****n carpet tacks! We finally got the wire in and the barge closer to us and proceeded into Newport. I wont ever forget that day.

Really exciting post, but if you could explain it in laymans terms perhaps the rest of us could appreciate what you're saying.... thx.

"carpet tacks" "hooked on it" "got the wire" "bringing in the wire"
" go between the jetty and the barge which was very close to the other side jetty" ..... means little to us laymen. However, sounds exciting.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:27 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Really exciting post, but if you could explain it in laymans terms perhaps the rest of us could appreciate what you're saying.... thx.

"carpet tacks" "hooked on it" "got the wire" "bringing in the wire"
" go between the jetty and the barge which was very close to the other side jetty" ..... means little to us laymen. However, sounds exciting.
Sorry about that! "hooked it on", accelerated. "wire in", most of the tow wire on the drum. Jetty is two sides of rockpile. Barge was very close to one side and the tug clear over to the other side with the tow wire connecting the two. Like I said we were taking up the whole channel with too much wire out. The carpet tack thing is an old joke. Visualize a dog defecating carpet tacks. LOL.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:32 PM   #6
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Tow line is the wire. Bringing it in is shortening it.

Hooked it on, is throttled up. Hence the exhaust smoke.

Didn't see any reference to "got the wire."

Dig shitting carpet tacks - is similar to the saying "shitting a brick."

Outgoing vessel went between the barge and the jetty which was a very narrow space.

Being very close to the other side of the jetty meant they could not move over to give him space and they were already against the other side of the channel.

menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:02 PM   #7

City: PDX
Vessel Name: Lady Anne
Vessel Model: GB 52 Europa
Here is an aerial view of Yaquina Bay. It is pretty place in good weather. You come in between the jetties under the gothic-inspired bay bridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USACE_Yaquina_Bay_Oregon.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	84508  
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:46 PM   #8
Guru

Here is a pic of our tug and the barge. And a pic of leaving that place, jetty to either side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190121_0002.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	84509   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190121_0003.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	84510  
Old 01-22-2019, 09:45 AM   #9
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Thanks for all the explanations.....

It's too bad that such a pretty place can be so lethal. I guess there's a lot of places that can be bad when the wx is bad, however.