Is Wrangell Narrows on your initiatory this summer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Sea Fever
Vessel Make
Defever 49 RPH
Thanks for posting that. I've transitted the Narrows three times now and have not found it to be particularly intimidating...well, there was my initial trip to Alaska on the Columbia when we met the Matanuska going the other way.

The passage where I have felt really squoze a couple times is Peril Strait near Sitka.

While I understand why the Marine Highway crews cannot be deterred by adverse currents or weather, I can think of no reason why one of us TF folks would attempt this passage in fog, or even darkness; another night in Petersburg isn't that expensive. (And yes, I do have all the aids, skills and experience for all-weather navigation)

Aw yes, the Christmas tree passage, very familiar with the stretch of waterway. Pay attention and its a great passage, gets shallow in a hurry if you dont stay on course.

We have pulled over for a ferry to pass. At low tide, I had to use my horn a lot to clear tourist/fisherman out of the very skinny channel. Crusty loved the challenge.

Been through many times and never had a problem. However in the winter there may not be suffcient time during daylight hours to transit the narrows. Worked on the ferries in the 70’s and the maze of nav lights looks like a Christmas display. I wouldn’t want to thread that needle. However one’s chart plotter would deliver as long as it kept working.

We encountered a dog once that seemed intent on comming aboard. And a deer (also swiming) that was doing a “see and avoid” and running out of steam. Got out but I think it was on the shore he came from.

As to the ferries fishboats get right alongside and the ferry boat just ignores boats all around.

Never done it w radar but if you’re dialed into your system that shouldn’t be a problem either.

Slow boats like our Willard 30 do need to assure there is plenty of daylight time to get through with the predicted tidal current.

A5B67853-54AE-4788-AA1C-B19B4FCEFAEE.jpeg

Tug 120’ + Tow 50’ + Barge 300’ = Fun in Wrangell Narrows

Last summer on Helen Marie we did Wrangell Narrows, Rocky Pass, and Dry Pass/El Capitan. A real nostalgia trip for me.

Looks like Western Towboat to me...

Yup, me too. I pulled a log raft over one of the buoys, luckily the light was still working when it popped up on the other side. Our Skipper opted not to report it. Bud Coolidge on the Samson.

Last edited:
Hi Dave, when I just started going mate there at WTB, the skipper, a new guy also. One morning as I am getting ready to go off watch he says to me stick around while we go thru Wrangell Narrows. OK, says I. Broad daylight, I am ready for the sack, been up all night. He wants to go thru on radar the whole way, and me to stand by just in case. Not sure in case of what, maybe like, hey look there is a ferry ten feet of the port bow? LOL. So anyway, off we went. I think he only looked up once, blinked in the sunlight a couple times and back into the hood. Interesting morning...

Preparing himself for his next fog trip...lol...Fun times. I sure miss the old low h.p. boats.

I once made a gravel pit trip on one of the oldest tugs around, the BEE. Built before the turn of the century, the 20th that is. 65' long and had one of those early Cats in it, 240HP or something I think. It was with my dad, and another tugboater name Cliff Thompson, no relation I suppose. He was a good friend of dads and of the Shrewsburys. Seattle to Steilacoom and back. This was mid to late 60's I think.

AIS is almost as useful as radar in Wrangell Narrows as well as the straits going into Sitka. You can see the bigger boats before they are visible on radar and plan accordingly. Same with Rocky Pass and Dry Pass.

Tom

We have pulled over for a ferry to pass. At low tide, I had to use my horn a lot to clear tourist/fisherman out of the very skinny channel. Crusty loved the challenge.
That sounds a lot like coming out of Bonneville Lock when you're headed downstream during fishing season, or around Hood River when the winds are blowing and there are a bazillion wind surfers playing chicken with you.

Yeah, thought so. Green AML barge, yellow bulwarks and red decks. Worked there for about 10 years.

I once made a gravel pit trip on one of the oldest tugs around, the BEE. Built before the turn of the century, the 20th that is. 65' long and had one of those early Cats in it, 240HP or something I think. It was with my dad, and another tugboater name Cliff Thompson, no relation I suppose. He was a good friend of dads and of the Shrewsburys. Seattle to Steilacoom and back. This was mid to late 60's I think.

Here's a 2012 pic of the BEE anchored off Wrangell. More recently, saw her in Heritage Harbor under cover and under major reconstruction - don't know if she will survive the refit.

Attachments

• Wrangell02.jpg
    Wrangell02.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 82
Hi Dave, when I just started going mate there at WTB, the skipper, a new guy also. One morning as I am getting ready to go off watch he says to me stick around while we go thru Wrangell Narrows. OK, says I. Broad daylight, I am ready for the sack, been up all night. He wants to go thru on radar the whole way, and me to stand by just in case. Not sure in case of what, maybe like, hey look there is a ferry ten feet of the port bow? LOL. So anyway, off we went. I think he only looked up once, blinked in the sunlight a couple times and back into the hood. Interesting morning...

Did the same thing in the late seventies when I flew out of Seattle to relieve the Captain on the Dean Foss (towing a loaded gas/diesel barge) who had to get off in KTN with pneumonia. Fortunately, the first two times through were education, the next several trips were foggy, especially at Blind Slough.

Jay, Dave and Puget, When you tow through Wrangell Narrows, how do you time the tides? I'd guess you'd want the current on your nose for steerage (?), although you've got 18 miles to cover at slow speed so you'll see much of a tide cycle. Take us through your logic of the timing of the tide you want to go through there. We can learn from your experiences.:thumb:

We enter on last half of a rising tide. Time it to arrive about at marker 44 or 46, where tides meet, at high slack. You'll have a boost on the way in, and again on the way out. If you're doing 7-8 knots relative to water, you have no steering problem.

Might be "a bit" more complicated for the tug/tow. How fast do they travel in WN?

Last edited:
I haven't been thru there in over 20 years, but like most places like that you want to try to time it so as much as possible is slack, and not too much current one way or the other. Modern tugs with lots of HP can buck some current but with a barge behind, running with it can get interesting if its nearing max. The WTB fleet has many new and very powerful boats. When I started working there in the early 80's, they had 4 boats, the most powerful had about 1200 HP. Now they run something like 20 boats with the big ones close to 5000HP I believe. Most of the newer class boats also have Z drive systems, instead of more conventional shaft and prop.

2FEA7E00-7BA4-40B2-8F57-180BC65CB3DE.jpeg

78CF617A-BCC7-4E19-9BB7-6F77129AA840.jpeg

Cat 3516’s @ 2200hp each with Ulstein Z drives

Jay, Dave and Puget, When you tow through Wrangell Narrows, how do you time the tides? I'd guess you'd want the current on your nose for steerage (?), although you've got 18 miles to cover at slow speed so you'll see much of a tide cycle. Take us through your logic of the timing of the tide you want to go through there. We can learn from your experiences.:thumb:

Hi Ken - Well, I remember what it is for WESTERLY! Going with the current is the preferred mode.

Be at Pt Alexander northbound at Petersburg HW - 1:30. At 7 kts water speed, this gets you to Papke's Landing or even Mountain Point where the ebb starts, and you will dock on the early ebb at Petersburg. If wanting to arrive at Petersburg at HW slack, you will want to enter a little earlier, and will end up bucking the last stretch from Scow Bay into Petersburg. Also, you can enter the narrows a lot earlier if desired, and kill some time in Scow Bay before continuing to Petersburg.

Of course, these times may not work as well for faster boats. Also, note that atmospherics and variations in tidal exchanges can effect current velocity, and where the current changes.

Southbound from Petersburg: Depart at Petersburg HW - :30. Even with WESTERLY's cruise at 7.2 knots, the ebb will push you past Pt Baker on a large tide.

Transiting the narrows with a loaded oil barge is not too much different than the times above. There is a relationship between the weight of the tug, the power of the tug, and the weight of the barge to maintain a speed where you can keep the barge in the channel (assuming a short towline). Generally about 70% power allowed sufficient reserves with a fully loaded barge.

The critical timing was to be off the old Union Oil dock in Petersburg north harbor at HW slack, and it was always desirable to transit during a rising tide.

As noted by others, there are much larger and more powerful tugs towing larger barges through the narrows these days, capable of increased speeds and control.

Been through there numerous times over the years with factory trawlers up to 225' with no problems, planning ahead a bit is your friend as is VTS. Lot's tighter spots in the Northeast, I used to go through Woods hole all the time with draggers, narrower and more tide.

Last edited:
Been through there numerous times over the years with factory trawlers up to 225' with no problems, planning ahead a bit is your friend as is VTS. Lot's tighter spots in the Northeast, I used to go through Woods hole all the time with draggers, narrower and more tide.

So here is my Woods Hole story
Going through from east to west against a strong current.....cans are mostly underwater. (This is for pleasure on a bluebird day.)

Coming the other way (down current) is “Bucky”. “Bucky” is a tug with a barge loaded with cement in a short tow. (“Bucky” is a slave to that current. If he ever tried to slow or stop, the barge would roll over him and keep on going.) I flip over to channel 13. We hear “Bucky” tell a ferry that is entering Woods Hole channel from the dock, and I quote....you should be ok captain. :facepalm:

So here is my Woods Hole story
Going through from east to west against a strong current.....cans are mostly underwater. (This is for pleasure on a bluebird day.)

Coming the other way (down current) is “Bucky”. “Bucky” is a tug with a barge loaded with cement in a short tow. (“Bucky” is a slave to that current. If he ever tried to slow or stop, the barge would roll over him and keep on going.) I flip over to channel 13. We hear “Bucky” tell a ferry that is entering Woods Hole channel from the dock, and I quote....you should be ok captain. :facepalm:

I've heard some pretty upset pleasure boaters on the VHF when they see those cans underwater making a wake like 40 foot sportfisherman while standing still. Quicks is better for pleasure boats.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom