Old 02-10-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Sitka AK
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Nordlund 62
Wireless cameras on our boat?

We are just starting to look at installing cameras on our boat and trying to avoid as much wires as we can.

Recommendations, please!
cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: B
Vessel Name: Sugar
Vessel Model: Vripack
Depend if you are looking for a system to monitor while aboard/underway or for remote surveillance. If you are looking for a remote system, SimpliCam by SimpliSafe https://simplisafe.com/simplicam-security-camera is a no brainier, as long as you have WiFi available. Only need to plug it in to an outlet for power and set up via the app. It has a motion sensor and automatically records the event and saves it. You can also call up the camera remotely and see whats going on anytime. The night vision is pretty good too. You can also zoom in remotely and it is very clear.
Gotwex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Sitka AK
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Nordlund 62
Thank you
I definitely need to add more information

We will be using them mostly while underway without wifi.... backup camera, engine room gauges and the like.
cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Jade Panama'
Vessel Model: 2001 Rayburn Custom 76
We installed something like this. Put one on each rear corner for side and backup views, one dead center on rear deck for a true rear view picture, and one in engine room. then i can display them on my monitors/raymarine system for docking and when piloting from pilothouse where rear visibility is non existant. https://www.amazon.com/Expandable-Wi...s%2C206&sr=8-4
JadePanama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I use Dlink cameras. There is a easy to use app, and a variety of indoor, outdoor, fixed, and PTZ models. I can access the cameras and the recorded images from anywhere.

Here are a couple live shots
Attached Thumbnails
9B41084B-DBD6-4197-82CB-797DD0E07CEC.jpeg   9C95ECBC-5101-4B4E-B3ED-4E69B3A8EB0D.jpg   B10B92EE-3BBD-4765-AC46-4A7C61C7CF80.jpeg  
Attached Images

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:53 AM   #6

City: Rocky Point
Vessel Name: Livin The Dream
Vessel Model: Sea Ray
I would like to set up a camera to monitor my boat remotely. There is ample wifi in the area. Do I need some sort of router or can these cameras connect directly to the wifi and allow me to see the images on my smart phone?
larman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Jade Panama'
Vessel Model: 2001 Rayburn Custom 76
It honestly depends on the solution you choose. If you are wanting something more for security/monitoring, I would highly recommend Blink cameras (Amazon). they have nice functionality where you can trigger alarms etc, and mark zones on the camera to ignore etc. they also give temp which is nice.

for those you attach the base unit to a wifi network, and give it your own user/pass. so you could likely use that on a public wifi if its strong enough. The downside is they will disconnect everytime you leave the dock and will have to reconnect when you get back. i had mixed results with this on my first boat when doing this. For this boat, I bought an LTE router RUT950 and use netbuddy.co for an unlimited data for $60/mo and now have my own network that stays with the boat and gives internet even while cruising or anchored.

now i have the security cameras all throughout the boat, get notified of incidents, and used them to monitor temps through the winter etc.

if you really want to geek out, you can hook up some simple systems now to do automation for you if you have your own network. thinks like home automation. i tied in my engine/block heaters to some smart home outlets and can remotely turn them on a day prior so they are warm, can control my heat and ac to warm/cool it before we arrive etc.
JadePanama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:05 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by larman View Post
I would like to set up a camera to monitor my boat remotely. There is ample wifi in the area. Do I need some sort of router or can these cameras connect directly to the wifi and allow me to see the images on my smart phone?
I would set up a router on your boat. That router can use marina wifi as it’s internet, but I prefer to use my cellular shared data plan as it’s more reliable.

I use Dlink cameras and their app. Here is a live shot. I am a couple hundred miles away.

Here is a link to a good description of my boats alarm system as well.

https://www.liveaboard-boats.com/for...t-alarm-system
Attached Thumbnails
5F5D7621-9871-4D89-85FD-D2052B72635A.jpeg  
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2019, 02:11 PM   #9
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Kevin, when you leave the dock what setup works the cameras ?
I would like to have a camera in my engine and generator spaces with a pilothouse monitor using 12 vdc power for use underway.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:50 PM   #10

City: Rocky Point
Vessel Name: Livin The Dream
Vessel Model: Sea Ray
I have heard the WiFi is good at my location. I will be mooring so no dock. I have heard there are WiFi cameras that have interior battery that lasts over s year. I just want to be able to check in also being able to have two conversation would be nice.
larman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:00 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
Kevin, when you leave the dock what setup works the cameras ?
I would like to have a camera in my engine and generator spaces with a pilothouse monitor using 12 vdc power for use underway.
When I leave the marina the cameras work locally. same App, or use a web browser. They do not need internet access to view them.

Thats because I have a router on my boat.
Each of the cameras can use wired ethernet, but I use WIFI back to my boats network.

That is the same network that for example enables me to stream movies and music that are stored in my itunes library on my laptop to my apple TV
Old 04-26-2019, 10:29 PM   #12
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
We just installed a ring stick up camera on our boat last night. Ring is what we have at home. Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
AF62600B-C551-4270-8688-9A6412B4E57F.jpg  
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:16 PM   #13
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I uses a Blink camera to monitor my front door. It is powered by a couple of AA batteries that last six months or more. It is motion activated. The camera talks to a box inside that is plugged into house current. The box talks to WiFi and sends me a message when ever the camera triggers. It’s cheap and seems to work well.

I do get a lot of videos of lizard bellies.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:08 AM   #14
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I just installed Blink cameras at my house. Ridiculously easy to set up and they work well.

Think I will install one on the boat. Blink does require 110V for the wireless hub so keep that in mind if wanting to use it while underway or at a mooring.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #15

City: Plymouth
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I just installed Blink cameras at my house. Ridiculously easy to set up and they work well.

Think I will install one on the boat. Blink does require 110V for the wireless hub so keep that in mind if wanting to use it while underway or at a mooring.
Checked my Blink hub at home (love them BTW) and the power cord is micro USB. 99% sure that'd run off a 12v micro USB adapter.

PS: the best thing about them is no wires, and the batteries last way longer than they should. The guys that invented them created their own camera board specifically to save power. They succeeded in my book. I use rechargeables in them and they last more than a year, maybe a couple.
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:14 AM   #16
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Wireless cameras on our boat?

Good idea on the 12v USB adapter for using underway or at anchor!
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:52 AM   #17
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
I finally got around to setting up some Blink XT cameras on our Eastbay. Right now it's just paired with the marina's Wi-Fi. The motion sensing can be narrowed via grid sections, to avoid too many false triggers. The windows have their covers installed, so outside views are limited, of course.

An added perk is the cameras have a thermometer in them, so I can see ambient temp in the space too.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20190716-084054_Blink.jpg   Screenshot_20190717-091547_Blink.jpg   Screenshot_20190717-091623_Blink.jpg  
Old 12-07-2019, 05:40 PM   #18
WDR

City: Pensacola
Vessel Model: 1983 Albin 36
I bought this Power Over Ethernet system for my boat and I can power it and the 32” tv monitor using a small 300 watt inverter while underway.

Since it is POE, only one cable is required per camera to deliver a 4K video feed. I was able to easily fish it through existing chases and down to engine room.

Reolink 8CH 5MP PoE Home Security Camera System, 4pcs Wired 5MP Outdoor PoE IP Cameras, 5MP 8-Channel NVR Security System with 2TB HDD for 24/7 Recording, RLK8-410B4-5MP https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016UCNP3A..._lsd7Db3S7XZ2E
Attached Thumbnails
947875FF-8A40-472F-9860-9BCEB440340B.jpg   2F0BBC3A-F59B-473C-B58F-964CF9C04D4C.jpg  
WDR is offline   Reply With Quote