Will this Replace Flares?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BandB, the Weems light is USCG approved as night signal. No flares required.
The flag that comes with it is approved as a day signal. No smoke signals needed.

Many of us PNW folks spend time in the B.C.Gulf islands, and in transit to Alaska. Do we still need our traditional flares etc., or is the Weem s light approved in Canada?

Last time I checked it was not approved in Canada.
I still have the 12 gauge pistol and flares.

Ted

Many of us PNW folks spend time in the B.C.Gulf islands, and in transit to Alaska. Do we still need our traditional flares etc., or is the Weem s light approved in Canada?
Ted is right, it is not approved by Transport Canada.

But...

US vessels are not subject to Canadian carriage requirements if the equipment they carry meets the US carriage requirements. Your life jackets, flares and rescue devices which are approved in the States but not in Canada, are OK for a US flagged vessel, but not for a Canadian flagged vessel, while in Canadian waters.

Last edited:
I think a red aerial flare people are going to notice more than a small blinking white light.

I think a red aerial flare people are going to notice more than a small blinking white light.
That`s misleading, online demos show they are anything but "a small blinking white light".

Unless very near coastal...both the light and an areal flare will hardly be noticed.

Even a parachute flare to 1000 feet and lasting 30 seconds or more are rarely noticed.

While useful to a degree...bet your life on electronics and set yourself up that way.

That`s misleading, online demos show they are anything but "a small blinking white light".

I posted a video, the blinking light they showed did look small. It is going to look even smaller if further away. A flare does not last long, but it does move and people notice them since they expect to see flares for emergency use. Not everyone seeing a blinking white light is going to think an emergency. One of the sales pitches is no expiration so USCG inspection you wont get in trouble but how about recognizing the situation, how effective is that versus a flare.

Notice the flare how much brighter and larger than the blinking light.
The flare arcs across the sky and reflects off the water.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2017-03-05 06-29-18.jpg
    Screenshot from 2017-03-05 06-29-18.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 67
Notice the flare how much brighter and larger than the blinking light.
The flare arcs across the sky and reflects off the water.

I switched to the electronic flare / light. Neither is worth having in the 21st century as almost every form of communication and notification we now have available to us, didn't exist when they became a requirement. The electronic version is more reliable and will be cheaper in the long run. Besides, most boaters seem to be too glued to their personal electronic devices to see your light signaling device anyway.

Ted

When my flares expire in a year, if this product (or a similar one) still exists and has some market traction, I'll definitely ditch flares for it.

A year has gone by, this product is still around, and I got a good deal so I've purchased one.

Anyone have a good bracket or other idea for storing it in the cabin? Would rather not just throw it into a locker.

ActiveCaptain introduced the Sirius Signal Flare nearly 2 years ago (since transferred to Weems & Plath). I set up a special forum with the CEO of the company who answered questions live. Defender bought all their stock and we aligned everything as a Defender 1st special with a one-week price of $79.99 announced at 7:30 am on our normal Wednesday newsletter day. I knew it was going to be a big hit.

By 11 am, Defender had sold all the units they purchased. Sirius worked overtime for more than a month to just fill the orders from that one week. Defender and Sirius warned that there would be a shipment delay of a week or more but everyone kept ordering it.

Defender told me that in their 70 years of business, nothing had ever sold so much, so fast.

I've had the product since just prior to that sale - I wanted to play with it before writing about it. I change the batteries every year. It's a wonderful product and I'd definitely reach for it first in an emergency - it's in my pilothouse drawer right now. I do also carry a full complement of pyrotechnic flares. I'd hate to have to use them in a real emergency with slag dripping down though - make sure you burn through a few to see what it's like. We did that at an MTOA rendezvous one year - it was very enlightening.

Bottom line - it's a fantastic product.

I remember, and was a buyer via this report from Activecaptain. I carry both the electric flare and traditional flares. Have had some old salts argue that the new type are non-compliant.

Anyone have a good bracket or other idea for storing it in the cabin? Would rather not just throw it into a locker.

Where did you keep your old flares?

The stairs that go to my pilothouse have hinged treads. Each opens to access a modest compartment. Common emergency items are stored there as they are centrally located and can't be buried behind other stuff.

Ted

I switched to the electronic flare / light. Neither is worth having in the 21st century as almost every form of communication and notification we now have available to us, didn't exist when they became a requirement. The electronic version is more reliable and will be cheaper in the long run. Besides, most boaters seem to be too glued to their personal electronic devices to see your light signaling device anyway.

Ted

Long ago, we broke down in James River and no radio, no gps but we called the USCG on the cell phone. They had no clue where we were, we said 'x' miles north of the James River bridge. We had handheld flares lit but they could not see them. But someone from shore in a house did see us and also called in for us using 911 to the USCG, which they told us. A handheld flare can be useful.

So they said throw one up into the air, then they saw us. They also agreed to tow us back to Denbigh Docks. There were 3 adults and 3 kids on that 17 foot boat at night but it was pleasant and calm. We had struck something underwater and cracked open the gear box on the stern drive.

Today, I have a gps, radio, phone, so when contacting USCG, etc... you can give them your position and they will come right to you regardless what type of light your showing. Even your cell phone you can install app to give your gps position.

I have 4 Orion orange containers worth of flares and flare guns to keep old flares. Two of them floated into my slip still dry on the inside. At my old marina oddly, everything seemed to float to the back on my boat.

I have a couple sealed ammo boxes, maybe paint them orange. I could put flares into if I run out of space. I likely have 15 hand held flares, some parachute flares and 30 cartridge flares and 2 flare guns. All these have accumulated from me and prior owners plus the freebies floating in on the tide.

Last edited:

Put it in your "ditch bag". If you don't have one it is a worthwhile investment. Great place for first aid, flares, handheld, knife, Epirb, etc. All the stuff you will need in one place when the sh** hits the fan.

Long ago, we broke down in James River and no radio, no gps but we called the USCG on the cell phone. They had no clue where we were, we said 'x' miles north of the James River bridge. We had handheld flares lit but they could not see them. But someone from shore in a house did see us and also called in for us using 911 to the USCG, which they told us. A handheld flare can be useful.

There will be the odd situation where a flare can make a difference.

Today, I have a gps, radio, phone, so when contacting USCG, etc... you can give them your position and they will come right to you regardless what type of light your showing. Even your cell phone you can install app to give your gps position.

I'm planning on those plus a DSC, a self deploying EPIRB, a PLB and a separate strobe on my life vest.

I have 4 Orion orange containers worth of flares and flare guns to keep old flares. Two of them floated into my slip still dry on the inside. At my old marina oddly, everything seemed to float to the back on my boat.

I have a couple sealed ammo boxes, maybe paint them orange. I could put flares into if I run out of space. I likely have 15 hand held flares, some parachute flares and 30 cartridge flares and 2 flare guns. All these have accumulated from me and prior owners plus the freebies floating in on the tide.

Sounds like 90+% of your flares are expired. Adding the electronic replacement doesn't obligate you to pitch the rest.

Ted

Was doing a snow survey in the mountains on a beautiful April morning. Dropped off by helicopter. Snowshoed around a bit. Was supposed to be picked up and transferred to another snow course at lunchtime. Pilots decided to swap jobs and sent another chopper to pick us up. Unfortunately the radio channels were different on the ground to air (as we found out later) in the second chopper. We could see him, but he couldn't see us. Decided to pop off a few flares for the pilot.

Almost had to shoot him out of the air for him to find us. It was our last one. All out of date flares from my partner's boat (a beautiful converted troller); all worked.

As I fly up and down the Malaspina Strait on a weekly basis, I look down and realize there is no way small boats or individual persons can be seen in anything more than a moderate sea state.

Like many, I had a bunch of old pyro on all my boats. The old flares are very hard to get rid of but this last year our YC sponsored an education day put on by the CG Auxillary (or the USPS, I can't recall which). I donated all my expired stuff for the class, keeping only the few unexpired ones. I also bought the Weems and Plath and will use it to stay compliant. I did keep a SOLAS smoke flare that was only recently expired.

I do like having the traditional flares on board in case of a situation where I feel they may be more effective than the night signal or day flag. I don't think that it is necessary to replace the pyro equipment on the day they expire. My plan, such as it is, is to always keep some shotgun aerial flares on board as well as the SOLAS floating smoke signal on hand. When they get more than a few years old, I will again try to find a place to donate them for training, and then replace them.

I guess that I want to be safe and I want to be compliant. I just don't think they are necessarily the same thing.

I had old flares dating back to the late 1970s. Must have been 15 or 20 pounds worth. I brought them to the local firehouse and said I'd like to drop them off for you guys to demonstrate with. The fireman on duty said thanks! I haven't been back there since.

I remember, and was a buyer via this report from Activecaptain. I carry both the electric flare and traditional flares. Have had some old salts argue that the new type are non-compliant.

Show the "old salts" the label right on the device that states that it is compliant.

My flares went out of date so I went to the marine supply store to pick up new ones. Hand held ones were 60 and 12 gauge were 40. So to replace both 100 bucks. :facepalm: The battery one was 95. It was a no brainer for me. I have a case that holds everything and the battery one fits. No need to pull out the old flares as they still work or should even though they are out of date. The case goes right under my seat. The nice thing about the battery operated flare is that I can test it several times a year. The old type once tested went into the trash. :trash:

My main concern about the "flare" lights is the people seeing them not knowing or understanding what they are or what is happening. Flares have been around long enough that everyone "knows" that something is wrong when they see one. Not sure the same can be said for the lights. Maybe in a few decades.

Great point! I intend to carry both.

I did the same, used A C to buy the battery signal so I don't have to buy new flares every few years. I still have a bunch of flares from many years past.

Not yet approved in Canada.
In the US, meets VDS (Visual Distress Signal) requirements at night only.
For daytime distress, Pyrotechnics, type A, B or C are still required, from the Safe Boating Guide

I bought one of the electronic flares. I still keep the pyro flares aboard. If we ever need to use them, I will have both and use both if appropriate. One of the problems with pyro flares is that they sit on the store shelves for a year before you buy them so they are about a third gone before they get to the boat. I have only ever had to use a flare once, but in 50 years of boating we have bought hundreds and then eventually you have to dispose of them. With the electronic flares maybe we won't have as many to get rid of in the future.

One of the problems with pyro flares is that they sit on the store shelves for a year before you buy them so they are about a third gone before they get to the boat. .

Why do you purchase ones that have set a year, or if ordering, why do you accept and keep them?

Well that was the most up to date flares that they had. They did discount them by one third, but that does not change the problem that sooner or later you have to dispose of the old flares. There are not that many places that will accept them since they are hazardous materials. The local stores don't have flares that are really up to date. You can go online and order them and maybe get more up to date flares, but usually then you have to pay a hazmat shipping charge. Either way not as good as having an electronic flare that does not go out of date except for the replaceable batteries. I will still carry both but will not have to buy more and more pyro flares due to the expiration date.

Why not just put old flares in a plastic bucket of water to soak for a month.
Should completely ruin them.
Then dump the water and throw in the trash.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom