Old 12-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #41

City: Hong Kong
Vessel Name: Sea Vixen
Vessel Model: Clipper 48
There is a really good alternative that I have had on my boat for over a year now, its made by Daniamant and is called the Odeo flare Mk 3. It is battery powered and uses LED's. It is the most powerful LED flare on the market.

https://daniamant.com/product/produc...ds/odeo-flare/
harvardrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:40 PM   #42
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
I think I'll keep my flairs, too, but looks like some neat alternatives or to be used in addition to.

Another thing not mentioned, is the flair gun can be used to deter intruders and requires no license or permits.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:56 PM   #43
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Another thing not mentioned, is the flair gun can be used to deter intruders
In movies maybe.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:23 AM   #44
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I might add that in addition to the LED torches. sunshine orange torch is certainly more visible, I believe also in the dark. I believe nothing is too much then, like a real emergency, I would also like to think of mere financial savings.

great that the development does not continue ...

we have been approved in land waters, the coast and the open sea is not accepted as the only, required still pyro flare and parachute flares
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:36 AM   #45
Guru

I checked a little bit of this case. I found the test with the laser (LED?) sos and a traditional torch. Unfortunately, this affects the new toy. you can watch this video

Old 12-25-2016, 08:20 AM   #46
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvardrvr View Post
There is a really good alternative that I have had on my boat for over a year now, its made by Daniamant and is called the Odeo flare Mk 3. It is battery powered and uses LED's. It is the most powerful LED flare on the market.

https://daniamant.com/product/produc...ds/odeo-flare/
But is it USCG approved as a replacement for pyrotechnic flares?

This is from their website:
Quote:
Regulations
The Odeo Flare™ is designed with consideration to SOLAS requirements, making it a genuine alternative to the pyrotechnic red hand held flare. The US Coast Guard is now leading the world in developing standards for electronic Visual Distress Signals (eVDS) as a replacement for the hand held pyrotechnic flare. The Odeo Flare™ also outputs an SOS signal during its flash pattern as described in Annex 4 to COLREGS, and is thus an internationally recognised distress signal.

It seems to say a lot while leaving official approval out.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:24 AM   #47
Guru

It would be interesting to know how many people here have actually had to use and rely on flares to be rescued from a sinking boat. Tell the truth now.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:50 AM   #48
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
It would be interesting to know how many people here have actually had to use and rely on flares to be rescued from a sinking boat. Tell the truth now.
Probably right up there with how many people have used a pfd to keep from drowning. No to both for me.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Read this u.s coastcard statistic 2015, emergency signs may be needed at other times to sink. machines break down, sick case, etc ...

surprising number of you have died at sea each year of

Accident Statistic

I had boat insurance over 30v I never needed ... is not aaioita which must be in order. In addition to existing international maritime rules and strict liability of the master of the vessel it is big or small.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:00 AM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
Read this u.s coastcard statistic 2015, emergency signs may be needed at other times to sink. machines break down, sick case, etc ...

Accident Statistic

I had boat insurance over 30v I never needed ... is not aaioita which must be in order. In addition to existing international maritime rules and strict liability of the master of the vessel it is big or small.
Interesting stats, but often hard to interpret, or meaningless. Need more "rates" instead of raw numbers. For example a fiberglass boat has WAY hight number of accidents than a wooden boat, doesn't mean it's less safe. And most of the boats in accidents are small... doesn't mean they're dangerous... there's just a lot more of them. But fun to play with it anyway.

Now operator inattention, incompetent or poor lookout are high on the list... we can all learn from that.

However, safety is getting better. Overall, if one pays attention and is competent, boating can be extremely safe.

As for insurance, has little to do with safety, perhaps a negative effect... one doesn't worry quite as much if it's uninsured. As a general rule, I don't insure anything, except for basic liability and can argue strongly for that. I'll spend my money on training.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:13 AM   #51
Guru

Quote:
My point is, with VHF, DSC and other devices, the likelihood of a pyrotechnic flare being the device that stands between you and death seems pretty slim to me.

A guy at my marina installed a new VHF on his boat and decided to see what would happen if h pushed the little red DSC emergency button.

Within a few minutes, a USCG RIB with ten crew members, flashing lights and a machine gun came flying up the river at WOT and pulled into the slip next to him.

It's about ten miles from their base and there's no chance they would have seen a flare.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:15 AM   #52
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post

Accident Statistic

I love statistics.

Fatality rate per 100,000 registered boats went up in 2015 over 2014. We could be less safe in 2015. More likely we used are boats more in 2015 as fuel cost dropped 50%

Apparently the larger the boat, the safer you are (less fatalities). More likely the number of boats in a given size range decreases as the size gets larger.

Boats without motors (canoes and kayaks) appear to be quite dangerous. Apparently 30% of all boating fatalities occurred on boats without motors.

Hope the government didn't spend a lot of money producing this.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:28 AM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I love statistics.

Fatality rate per 100,000 registered boats went up in 2015 over 2014. We could be less safe in 2015. More likely we used are boats more in 2015 as fuel cost dropped 50%

Apparently the larger the boat, the safer you are (less fatalities). More likely the number of boats in a given size range decreases as the size gets larger.

Boats without motors (canoes and kayaks) appear to be quite dangerous. Apparently 30% of all boating fatalities occurred on boats without motors.

Hope the government didn't spend a lot of money producing this.

Ted
Ted, Yes, I am aware of the kayak and canoe stats, and quite frankly they scare me. I'm an avid kayaker, probably 2 to 4 times per week, and hang out with a group of other kayakers. I get a bit nervous when one of use drinks a bit too much... seems that's where the high risk is.

However, we are safety conscious..... most of us use portable VHFs, have the life jackets (and throw pillows), and more than the required lights at night. Thinking of an epirb, but have never failed to hail someone on the VHF if needed. However, the CG answers calls, they are not good at responding.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:38 PM   #54
Guru

I do CGAUX safety checks and will accept by CG req. both flares and the lights. I personally carry a light and orange smoke flares or smoke canisters and advise others to do the same. My reasoning is as follows during the day flares or lights are not all that visible that is why the orange day distress flag comes with the light. while orange smoke is very visible. At night how long does a flare last? Not long the light unit has a long life. Does everybody aboard know how to deploy a flare will they burn themselves or ignite something? The light is easy to deploy with no further danger to ship or crew. I personally think it is time to ditch the flares for inland and near coastal waters. Large parachute flares that can be seen from afar may still have a place in open waters along with a light for rescue crews to home in on. I hope all are aware of the CG app for cell phones if not its free check it out. One of the many features is a distress button, press it and the nearest CG responds. At one time the CG discouraged the use of cell phones things change check this out even kayakers and paddle boarders may be carrying cell phones.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 03:39 PM   #55
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
But is it USCG approved as a replacement for pyrotechnic flares?

This is from their website:

It seems to say a lot while leaving official approval out.[/LEFT]
That's because it is not approved.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #56
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Orange smokes are good if the wind is light, over 10 to 15 knots and they are really only good to tell the helo which way the wind is blowing.

Pyro blows most electric lights away, but a laser pointed in the right direction on a clear night is pretty amazing.

In 20 years of searching for craft, very few flares were actually the distress signal that initiated a successful rescue, and even less directed me to the distressed craft.

Not sure how night vision goggles have changed the game...not much from case studies I have been reading.

I have the minimum flares required and rely on redundant electronics to really save me.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:03 PM   #57
Veteran Member

City: Arnaudville, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Anticipation
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
LED Flare

It does flash a sos signal and is very bright.
gotfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:15 PM   #58
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
The concept of distress lights are 2 fold...

1. Alert.....alert someone you are in trouble. Lights are dimmer usually than Pyro, but last longer.

2. Locate.... search units are already alerted, and if nearby, the visual will bring them in.

Electronic means will alert, then bring them in from WAYYYYY further away than any visual means would. Plus weather is much less of a factor for electronic.

I would never remotely bet my life on a flare or light. I carry the minimum required plus oldies and spend a few months beer money on DSC radios with good antennas and plbs. EPIIRB on the close horizon.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:20 PM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We in the CGAUX have been instructed to accept those lights that meet CG requirements as stated on manufacturers labeling. The individual lights do not carry a specific approval but will be accepted as flair replacement provided the day signal is also aboard. I keep my old flairs. so I have belt and suspenders flares- light -flag - smoke bombs-three radios one mobile and two cell phones with CG apps. maybe I should also put a laser in my flare box?
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 06:10 PM   #60

City: Hong Kong
Vessel Name: Sea Vixen
Vessel Model: Clipper 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
That video is old, you can no longer get the laser flare. For obvious reasons, there was a major design flaw, lasers and aircraft don't mix at night, especially on NVG's, so LED's replaced the laser. As for the USCG certification, as it was made in the UK and certified there, I'm not sure if the manufacturer has done the USCG certification process yet.
harvardrvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flares, pyrotecnics