Old 12-25-2016, 07:24 PM   #61
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
We in the CGAUX have been instructed to accept those lights that meet CG requirements as stated on manufacturers labeling. The individual lights do not carry a specific approval but will be accepted as flair replacement provided the day signal is also aboard. I keep my old flairs. so I have belt and suspenders flares- light -flag - smoke bombs-three radios one mobile and two cell phones with CG apps. maybe I should also put a laser in my flare box?
I wasn't referring to all, just the specific one being discussed.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:32 PM   #62
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The concept of distress lights are 2 fold...

1. Alert.....alert someone you are in trouble. Lights are dimmer usually than Pyro, but last longer.

2. Locate.... search units are already alerted, and if nearby, the visual will bring them in.

Electronic means will alert, then bring them in from WAYYYYY further away than any visual means would. Plus weather is much less of a factor for electronic.

I would never remotely bet my life on a flare or light. I carry the minimum required plus oldies and spend a few months beer money on DSC radios with good antennas and plbs. EPIIRB on the close horizon.
Flares are an outmoded technology from another era and were only of very limited use even then. Too many better means of communication today. I am with you that I would never bank of a flare or light, but instead have multiple electronic means of communication. Now electronic flares could be helpful after alerting to help rescuers see you.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:44 PM   #63
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I have one SOLAS orange flare (expired). I have plenty of flares on board but am allowing those to expire. I have the approved led strobe night signal.

I like the smoke signals as I think they are a lot more visible than the flares during the day. I like the led night signal since it won't expire.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:21 PM   #64

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Flares are an outmoded technology from another era and were only of very limited use even then. Too many better means of communication today. I am with you that I would never bank of a flare or light, but instead have multiple electronic means of communication. Now electronic flares could be helpful after alerting to help rescuers see you.

system electronics is good if you have built a ship's electric Organize them like a ship. most of our battery bank under boat, if the leakage of water will short-circuit the electronics and says good-bye to you.

traditional pyro emergency equipment operating in the wet. the only un success of the pyro is if the best before date expired, they may work, but not always, and also a small risk of fire or personal injury, if you have the old pyro safety equipment. this has been studied so it was not an opinion but a fact.

have you ignored the batteries your electronics to place as high as possible in mind sinking allowing you to speak or send a VHF DSC distress message when the water rising above the battery?
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:08 AM   #65
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
system electronics is good if you have built a ship's electric Organize them like a ship. most of our battery bank under boat, if the leakage of water will short-circuit the electronics and says good-bye to you.

traditional pyro emergency equipment operating in the wet. the only un success of the pyro is if the best before date expired, they may work, but not always, and also a small risk of fire or personal injury, if you have the old pyro safety equipment. this has been studied so it was not an opinion but a fact.

have you ignored the batteries your electronics to place as high as possible in mind sinking allowing you to speak or send a VHF DSC distress message when the water rising above the battery?
No, i haven't ignored anything.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:53 AM   #66
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
EPIIRB, PLB batteries are self contained and remain the top of the rescue equipment pyramid right beside or maybe just under the human brain.

Redundancy and knowing what circumstances would limit their effectiveness is key
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:43 AM   #67
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
EPIIRB, PLB batteries are self contained and remain the top of the rescue equipment pyramid right beside or maybe just under the human brain.

Redundancy and knowing what circumstances would limit their effectiveness is key
Combine those with electronics with trip plans and communication of them with family or friends and you have a system for notification there are problems and for locating. Alert and locate as you listed above. Far better than leaving it to the chance observation of a flare and then finding that location.

We have tools today that just weren't available decades and centuries ago when flares were the best we had.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:34 AM   #68
Guru

But for the guy in a tin skiff in the ICW, most everything else is way more expensive and depending where and when, overkill.

Like some ABYC standards, USCG requirements of one size fits all is not appropriate.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #69
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Laser. Interesting. Never thought of a laser as a directional attention getting item. But for the eyesight issue for pilots.........
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #70
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Moon River
Vessel Model: Devlin 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
Laser. Interesting. Never thought of a laser as a directional attention getting item. But for the eyesight issue for pilots.........
That issue may have been addressed by my fuzzy memory I think a safe unit has been developed.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:48 PM   #71
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
This is the company making the laser flares. They say that it is eye safe at distances greater than 13 feet. It projects a line of light, not a point.
How do Greatland Laser rescue lasers work?
Old 12-27-2016, 12:11 AM   #72
Guru

Anything that avoids finding somewhere to dispose of the last but one set of flares will be welcome. I keep the last expired lot in the hope they might still do some good. Gone are the days you could try the expired ones on NYE.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:25 AM   #73
Guru

I've just been reading about those laser flares and they suggest another use besides signaling for help. They say you can use them to search for things that have retroreflective material on them. You could spot markers or life jackets at greater distances than you could with a spotlight.

No Coast Guard or SOLAS approval so they don't replace pyrotechnics.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:19 AM   #74
Guru

True about using them to spot channel markers.

Disposal isn't all that hard, split and soak the handheld. Shoot 12ga into a body of water or water sand barrel.

25mm flares or rocket flares I would just request a training session from rescue agency nearby, and show family friends how they work.

Easy,?....we'll depends on one's motivation and creativity.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:17 AM   #75

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
HopCar how much are they??
kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #76
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sea Q
Vessel Model: Westport Mc Queen
I have had not real good luck using LED's in bad weather .
The light is very easily absorbed by the rain and fog .
Great in good weather.
I think with all the electronics on our boats flares are the last ditch options
Sea Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer View Post
HopCar how much are they??
They run $110 and $125 for the red ones and $300 for the green one.
I'm not a dealer but I'm thinking about it. If they'd get a USCG or Solas approval, I'd be all over them. It looks like they mostly market them in the avation industry.
Products - Greatland Laser
Old 12-27-2016, 04:56 PM   #78
Guru

City: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Q View Post
I have had not real good luck using LED's in bad weather .
The light is very easily absorbed by the rain and fog .
Great in good weather.
I think with all the electronics on our boats flares are the last ditch options
How many times have you had to use your LED flare substitute in bad weather? How many times in total have you had to use it?
WesK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:58 PM   #79
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Helen Marie
Vessel Model: DeFever Passage Maker 34
Is the Weems product accepted by the Canadian C.G.?
Old 03-03-2017, 10:14 PM   #80

City: Boston Area
I think the safety concern of carrying flares on board is being overblown. Think of how many boats are out there with flares on them, and how many accidental ignitions there have been. I'd guess that we are in the statistical neighborhood of damage by falling space debris.

I like the idea of the "LED Flare", but for the cost, reliability and most importantly the visual range, I can't see how I'd ever regret having flares on board.

Don't forget that your dsc usually depends on your electrical system, and dsc in a handheld is great but the range is limited and so is the audience.

When it all goes bad, more options is a good thing.

Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flares, pyrotecnics