What is the difference between Standing on and Giving way?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kids need something to drive.... :D

Hope you gave him 5 short for nothing else than to need to change underwear for being stupid.

This is my standard, go-to maneuver. I have do this at least once every time I transit the Detroit and St. Clair rivers. On a nice sunny summer weekend afternoon, I might have to do this 15 times a day. I can't tell you how many times people didn't even look up to see me until I blew the doubt/danger signal. So many people don't even try starting their engines until they're about to disappear under my bow.

It just boggles my mind. I'll never understand it, and I'll never see the end of it. Some things are absolutes in life: Death, taxes, the garden hose always wants to spray you directly in the face, and there will always be oblivious morons fishing in the middle of the channel with their fingers in their ears and their eyes closed.

I think a big part of the issue is what Howard posted below. I don't think we ships look nearly as scary as we think we do/should.

Part of the problem is perspective. Many rec boaters have no conception about how fast a ship is moving. I learned that lesson yesrs ago when I crossed in front of a ferry that looked really faraway to me. By the time I cleared the ferry I was at WOT and needed a change of BVDs. I received a scolding via VHF which I certainly deserved.

The real problem is most yachties are terrible mariners. They don't run a wheel watch in a competent manner, they don't plan or look ahead, don't have any idea of the rules of the road, their marine radios are turned down or off, don't know the radio channels commercial traffic uses, and so on. Private, non commercial boats can be bought and run by anyone, without any training or licensing until you get into really large vessels.

Sailboats are the worst. Many think they have the right-of-way in all circumstances. Moving a ship or barge in ports with a lot of sailboats requires creeping at dead slow to avoid a collision.

I think some sort of license should be required for boat operation over a certain size. Something beyond the state boaters card. Probably with a day long classroom.
I don't recall where I found this pic, but the sailboat thought it had the right-of way. One of my favorite pics.

Attachments

• Right_of_Way.jpg
    Right_of_Way.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 115
My late father taught me early about right of way. We were crossing the street in a pedestrian crosswalk and I said “cars have to stop if a pedestrian is in the crosswalk.”
He said “What if they don’t? You would be dead right.”

Never argue with a moving car, boat, etc.

Lepke, what you say may be true. I do think it is unfortunate that commercial vessels are not required to monitor 16 when they are within a VTS area.

If you are going to hail a commercial vessel South of Bush Point, what frequency would you use? 14 or 13?

The real problem is most yachties are terrible mariners. They don't run a wheel watch in a competent manner, they don't plan or look ahead, don't have any idea of the rules of the road, their marine radios are turned down or off, don't know the radio channels commercial traffic uses, and so on. Private, non commercial boats can be bought and run by anyone, without any training or licensing until you get into really large vessels.

Sailboats are the worst. Many think they have the right-of-way in all circumstances. Moving a ship or barge in ports with a lot of sailboats requires creeping at dead slow to avoid a collision.

I think some sort of license should be required for boat operation over a certain size. Something beyond the state boaters card. Probably with a day long classroom.
I don't recall where I found this pic, but the sailboat thought it had the right-of way. One of my favorite pics.
“Sailboats ALWAYS have the right of way” yelled the operator of a large Hobie Cat as he over took us up the starboard side. He then cut to port a couple feet off our bow.
“Except when overtaking “ I yelled back.
“SAILBOATS ALWAYS HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY” he tried again now facing aft while crossing the harbor channel traffic.
“Read the Nav Rules, read the rules!!!
Everyone make mistakes but the guy was militantly forcing his erroneous belief. That was about five years ago. Now I just smile and wave.

"You would be dead right.”

This reminds me of the old joke about two vessels narrowing avoiding a collision.

Captain #1: (Yelling) "I had the right of way"

Captain #2: (Yelling back) "That would look good on your tombstone"

Lepke, what you say may be true. I do think it is unfortunate that commercial vessels are not required to monitor 16 when they are within a VTS area.

If you are going to hail a commercial vessel South of Bush Point, what frequency would you use? 14 or 13?

I don’t think that’s correct. I think you are always obligated to monitor 16

[emoji106]

Generally when hailing commercial traffic if they don't quickly answer 16 try 13. Use the VTS channel only if you must, it's primary use is communications between vessels and the VTS. But, listening to the local VTS channel will provide you with a wealth of information. Every VTS has specific rules and VHF frequencies. Here's a link to the Seattle VTS area. You'll find that south of Bush Pt it's channel 14, north of Bush Pt it's Channel 5A. Seattle VTS is a cooperative agreement with Canadian systems so you have to learn their channels and rules as well when you cruise BC waters.

You can find the Seattle VTS user manual by Googling "Seattle VTS user manual"

For other areas start here:
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=vtsLocations#VTS_PS

Here's an excerpt from the Seattle VTS manual regarding VHF 16
How do I communicate with the VTS?
Using the appropriate VTS frequency listen for a moment before keying the radio, and
with the use of low power, address the VTS as “Seattle Traffic” followed by the name
of your vessel.

(a) Each VMRS user and VTS user must have a combination of radio equipment
capable of operating from the navigational bridge, that simultaneously maintains
a listening watch on Channel 13 (156.650Mhz), and the designated VTS
frequency.
(b) A single VHF/FM radio capable of scanning, or with "dual watch" capability,
will not meet the requirement of two radios.

(c) A VHF watch on Channel 16 is not required on vessels subject to the Vessel
Bridge-to-Bridge Radio Telephone Act, during participation with the VTS while
maintaining a watch on Channel 13, and the VTS frequency. (Bold type face is my emphasis)

(d) A person required to maintain a listening watch must be able to communicate in
the English language. Use of Message Markers is recommended when
necessary.
(e) Any fixed or portable radiotelephone equipment capable of transmitting and
receiving on the designated VHF frequency may be used.
This link U.S. VHF Channel Information gives good info on proper channel use.

A quote from the link:
"Boaters should normally use channels listed as Non-Commercial. Channel 16 is used for calling other stations or for distress alerting. Channel 13 should be used to contact a ship when there is danger of collision. All ships of length 20m or greater are required to guard VHF channel 13, in addition to VHF channel 16, when operating within U.S. territorial waters. Users may be fined by the FCC for improper use of these channels. See Marine Radio Watch Requirements for further information."

Last edited:
In my opinion ( and it’s worth what you pay for it!). If you are seeing a large vessel at this aspect everything’s fine.

FWIW.... if I see a tanker that large, no matter the angle, I'm staying as far away as possible until its nearly a dot on the horizon. The captain driving anything bigger than my boat can go right on ahead. I'll hang back. LOL

I don’t think that’s correct. I think you are always obligated to monitor 16

Unfortunately, no. Vessels that are required to participate in the VTS system must monitor channel 13 and the applicable VTS traffic frequency. The VTS frequency is in leu of monitoring channel 16.

47CFR 80.148

Generally when hailing commercial traffic if they don't quickly answer 16 try 13. Use the VTS channel only if you must, it's primary use is communications between vessels and the VTS. But, listening to the local VTS channel will provide you with a wealth of information. Every VTS has specific rules and VHF frequencies. Here's a link to the Seattle VTS area. You'll find that south of Bush Pt it's channel 14, north of Bush Pt it's Channel 5A. Seattle VTS is a cooperative agreement with Canadian systems so you have to learn their channels and rules as well when you cruise BC waters.

Thanks, great information. I have found that monitoring the VTS frequency is helpful, particularly in the Straits and entering Admiralty Inlet. I will try and remember thought to initiate contact on channel 13.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom