Old 05-16-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Waked in San Augustine

This morning at 0800 a commercial boat apparently a tour boat or party fishing boat sent a massive wake through the mooring field in front of the San Augistine city Marina. He was trying...successfully to beat the Bridge of Lions draw bridge. No one really seemed to know if there is a recourse with the Coast Guard or the local police. No one was happy with this tur* and frankly if he needs grief.

The bridge tender knows who he is, so there is a record. We're this a trucker on the road I would chase him down and have a discussion with his company safety man. Not possible here.

I am having a hard time letting this go, I want a piece of him, I want to hurt him professionally, any suggestions?
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #2

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
I think the best recourse, if you really feel it's necessary, is get the company name from the bridge tender and call the company. If they're a reputable company, they don't want their Captains pissing off the locals (just like a trucking company). If there was actual damage to any boats, you could call your insurance company and let them go after the offending company..Otherwise, you can always remember, that in any walk of life there are those types...centered in their "me" universe.
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:48 PM   #3
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
That was probably the same guy who waked me there a month ago.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Try being anchored off an island near Stonington, Maine, when the lobster boat fleet heads out at 5 a.m. It goes with the territory.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:44 PM   #5
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I have to say that getting waked on the ICW near bridges seems to be a popular thing these days. Sometimes it's because they are trying to make the opening like you noted above, but sometimes it's when they come down off full throttle just as they pass the "idle speed" signs before the bridge, right at the spot you have selected to wait patiently for the next opening. You see it coming and you know you're really going to get it, and so do they.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:49 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Try being anchored off an island near Stonington, Maine, when the lobster boat fleet heads out at 5 a.m. It goes with the territory.

I guess it does go with the territory to some extent.....but when a professional licensed captain does it, he has something to lose and it is up to the public to make law enforcement make him change his habits.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
I guess it does go with the territory to some extent.....but when a professional licensed captain does it, he has something to lose and it is up to the public to make law enforcement make him change his habits.
Yes he has something to loose, but unless he was in a no wake zone he is not in violation of any statute or navigation rule.

As far as the damage to boats or their contents, or even people again unless he was in a no wake zone he has zero libality.

While I feel for you, and I've been caught by suprise by large wakes myself, there is really no recourse in a situation like this.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #8
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
This is common at the town marina in St Augustine. The fish boats (AND YACHTS) come out of the San Sebastian river and try to make " the opening". Not saying its right, just a fact of life. Big tidal current makes for interesting bridge interactions.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:48 PM   #9
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
It goes with the territory.

That sentence says it all. We've all been waked and it sucks but that's part of boat ownership.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:52 PM   #10
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
War Story

We arrived first south bound at the Sunset Island Swing Bridge. We were clearly visible with the tide behind us. Several large SeaRay Sundancers started gathering on the north bound side of the bridge. It was some kind of brand cruise. As the bridge started to open, I got in position to go through. But, no. The first SeaRay started through with me backing against the current to get out of his way. As soon as he cleared the fenders he turned it on throwing a huge wake. The rest were close behind, and did the same thing.

After the washing machine calmed down we went through. I just got on the radio, and said, "that's why we just love SeaRays". Then I said, "be alert, they are headed north.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:45 PM   #11
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Well, Don...at least you've got the boat to wake them back.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:31 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
What's the law over there..? Over here in Aus, within 30 metres of any moored or anchored boat is meant to be a no-wake zone.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:34 AM   #13
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
We arrived first south bound at the Sunset Island Swing Bridge. We were clearly visible with the tide behind us. Several large SeaRay Sundancers started gathering on the north bound side of the bridge. It was some kind of brand cruise. As the bridge started to open, I got in position to go through. But, no. The first SeaRay started through with me backing against the current to get out of his way. As soon as he cleared the fenders he turned it on throwing a huge wake. The rest were close behind, and did the same thing.

After the washing machine calmed down we went through. I just got on the radio, and said, "that's why we just love SeaRays". Then I said, "be alert, they are headed north.
Suggestion .........
Securite, Securite, Securite, All mariners take heed. Several large Sea Rays (name of boats) driving in a dangerous manner southbound at Sunset Island swing bridge.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:25 AM   #14
FF
Guru

"I am having a hard time letting this go, I want a piece of him, I want to hurt him professionally, any suggestions?"

No surprise there! Would not his head on a Pike be your usual demand?

Next you will want the pilots license for making noise on take off when you anchor under a flight path!!

Wakes that cause DAMAGE might be a case,

but a wake that only discomforts is hardly cause for any action.

Maybe your coffee got spilled ,need a dime for replacement?

As wakes are sorta common on boats , if the stove is mounted along the hull, Gymbols are the centuries old solution. Our 50'fter has and needs them.

With a range along a bulkhead , fast foot work should keep from being scalded.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post

I am having a hard time letting this go, I want a piece of him, I want to hurt him professionally, any suggestions?
Wifey B: Let it go. See...it's like this..he caused you a little tiny bit of discomfort. You ruminating over it though has caused you much grief. Not worth it.

And the worst worst worst spots for wakes on the ICW, especially for home owners, is just at the border of no wake zones. The boats goin one way slowin down and waking you and the ones going the other way rising up on plane.

Glad the area by us is a minimum wake, not a no wake.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #16
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
In the past I've found that when I carry something (feelings of anger, revenge, etc) with me the only person it hurts is ME.

We all have choices about the way we respond to any situation. The other guy doesn't know about your hurt feelings and, if he did, he may not even care.

My suggestion is to relieve your burden, get rid of your anger, put on your big boy undies and go on with your life. We all get waked at times and if that's the worst thing that happened to you that day when you were out on the boat enjoying a cruise, then your day came off pretty nice.

Just saying.....
Old 05-17-2015, 12:54 PM   #17
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Mule, if you sustained injury or damage make a call to the local Coast Guard base, ask to speak to the OOD they will respond to document damages. Be prepared for a inspection of your boat when they visit.
Years ago while on the loop we where waked by a US Coast Guard cutter in the Carolina's ICW and had phsical damage which they documented. Worse part was the E-6 captain of the cutter was on a training mission for new boat crew members and was ordered to return to our location and eat crow over the incident. My Admiral cut him no slack in front of his crew, I bet he and the crew will remember that wake for ever !
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:49 PM   #18
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
This high-speed boat gave me the worst wake ever, with water entering the stern deck due to severe roll. This occurred when the boat passed from the stern about 100 feet away. I wasn't paying enough attention to take evasive action to reduce the wake's effect. On the boat's return (when picture was taken), I was prepared, turning into the wake and moving the throttle to idle!

Old 05-17-2015, 03:08 PM   #19
Guru

Well, FF, always...ALWAYS my adversary , even when I am RIGHT on OTDE, now here. WE, yes WE got him. Yesterday afternoon the Harbormaster of the Marina summoned the owner of the commercial boat(s) responsible. He (owner) tried to make excuses as any good boss would. But have no fear the pilots had a come to Jesus meeting over this one. This was not just a wake....it was a violent assault, dangerous and had the potential to deal out serious injury. Few,if any, were prepared for it as you would be underway.

THe harbormaster invited him (owner) over for coffee between 0745 and 0815 to see for himself. Seems the occupied boats in the mooring field gave the Harbormaster the what for. Harbormaster told me it had been an ongoing problem with this company for some time. The Harbormaster is very influential in San Augustine, bet he knows all of the water cops... A concentrated effort targeting this company by officials could REALLY hurt their business. A safety inspection could be drawn out to an hour...each DAY.

I did not put his head on the end of a Pike... He did it himself.

Some things in life, I feel, are too blatant to just shrug and "let go" without at least an attempt for retribution. If all just "let it go" there would never be a change in behavior. I had my ducks in a row before the Harbormaster took over the battle, I gladly cede the battle to him. He has more arrows in his quiver.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:35 PM   #20
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: bout’ time
Vessel Model: Grady White 282 Sailfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Yes he has something to loose, but unless he was in a no wake zone he is not in violation of any statute or navigation rule.

As far as the damage to boats or their contents, or even people again unless he was in a no wake zone he has zero libality.

While I feel for you, and I've been caught by suprise by large wakes myself, there is really no recourse in a situation like this.
And here I thought you were responsible for your own boat wake, anytime anywhere...