Old 11-19-2016, 12:35 PM   #21
Guru

City: gulf coast
I consider close quarters waking rude, ignorant and boorish behaviour. Legal or not it is just ignorant. More often than not it seems sport fisherman and commercial operators at fault so they probably know there is not much to be done.

Given that, I have learned to be responsible for whatever happens on my boat. Everything is stored, strapped down or secured in some manner such that unexpected sea conditions or wakes will cause as little damage as possible. decade of sailing made this a habit. After leaving the dock is not the time for preparing.

The other issue is knowing what's coming at me. I often wanted some sort of rear facing mirrors or other device. The radar does help but aft visibility is never as good as forward. Constantly swiveling around to look aft is a PITA but necessary.

The guys throw wing big wakes are often also running point to point close to all nav aids. If the area is wide enough I set my route away from the shortest point to point path so that I am away from traffic.

None of this excuses wake throwing idiots, they will always be there, but it does reduce the stress of dealing with them.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #22
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
First of, I hope you heal up quickly and this kind of thing doesn't happen to you and your passengers ever again.

But....

I may take heat for this view but it appears you were not keeping as good of a watch as you could of, especially being in a tight area (I dont know your area at all so I assume it might of been a tight spot) Had you seen him coming either by sight or radar or AIS the outcome would of been different.

When I leave my marina I am always prepared for at least 5' wave/waves as it is common in Puget Sound and heading across to the San Juans because of both fast ship traffic and weather. Having said that I have been tossed by a close pass before and it changed my view on what MY responsibility is in operating my vessel. If stuff hits the floor in ANYTHING but a knockdown I feel I didn't do a adequate job of preparing the boat prior to leaving.

We all learn lessons ( I still am and I have been into all forms of boats for over 40 years) every time we boat and they all help us to grow in our abilities.

Again, I hope you and the crew bounce back from this and move forward
HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #23

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Beneteau, 44, Volvo D6 Mains
I also hope you feel better. Back issues are no fun.

I am also perplexed by yours, and many of the other responses damning the guy inthe fishing boat. I am not saying he is not an idiot for getting so close, but this is part of the deal.

Agree, people abuse this all the time. I have had my entire galley emptied out while at anchor, and taken some good poundings in the channel, as I am sure we all have.

If you are not in a restricted speed zone, then you should expect this, and keep an eye out for wakes, fast boats.

If you boat in San Diego harbor, the main channel is less than mile wide atpoints, and we have Navy Seals (some even run full speed at night with nolights), USCG, sporties, Tugs, and Aircraft Carriers, ie, every craft imaginable going 1-40 knots. It is common to get drilled out there, so I warn everyone to sit when I see a wake or a fast boat nearby. We have lost plenty of sodas, and bottles of wine (no alcohol for me until I hit the dock), but no one has fallen or been hurt by a wake.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 04:58 PM   #24

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Speedy recovery mule.
Dave.
Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:10 PM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Trouble is....yes...whether a jerk or fast response government vessels...you can get waked bad any time or place.

Many states and locales have wake laws that are muck stricter and more enforceable than anything in federal law.

While I hate complainers of typical wakes, the true damage creators should be accountable.

The million dollar questions are what agency rules, what proof is needed, how to proceed...etc.

Maybe a good lesson to all the whiners about nuisance wakes, is they need to realize they have diluted the concern of law enforcement to the true wrecking balls out there.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:21 PM   #26
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
The problem is not the wake itself but the stupid bloody idiot who is passing you in a range of 2 meters when he has a 2 miles wide channel. I crossed many boat far bigger than mine that took some distance before passing me, I see them, they see me, I have time to divert my route and take their wake correctly, no issue, no trouble everybody is happy. But when a brainless guy pass me at a distance I could shake his hand while the river is 2 or 3 miles wide... Sorry no excuse he is just a blocke.
When I see a fishing small boat, I take as much distance as I can, reduce my speed and look at my wake to be sure I will not throw him overboard.
That is what I call common sense, respect and courtesy for me. The same people who are acting like that are surely the same who are zigzaging and doing fishtail while driving on the highway.
Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:51 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
When running at fast cruise of 14 knts my boat throws a HUGE wake.

I am not going to come off step and try to get 40,000 pounds back on step just because some ding a ling decided to stop and fish at the narrowest spot for miles around. The tour boats don't come off plane. The ferries don't either. If they are that stupid they are going to get waked, and waked hard.

That said, I do my best to get some distance from other boats whenever possible. That doesnt mean a hundred feet, it means a half mile or more if possible. When overtaking someone in a narrow channel I always call them on the radio, even if its just a single callout to "white fishing boat in chicken pass, I'm overtaking you on your port side" as an example. We also broadcast AIS all the time.

I cannot imagine someone intentially coming close to you whern there is sea room to give them a little space, which equals time to turn prepare for it.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:54 PM   #28
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Mule: The only thing important right now is your healing. You'll have to be prepared that justice may never come for this guy and many like him. I probably have the best 360 degree visibility of any boat I know of and it's no where near good enough to be prepared for every FL ICW wake. With the many narrow channels, there's little hope for wake defense, even when you see them coming. Add to that, multiple boats passing on both sides at the same time. Multiply that by almost evil wealth from countries where the rich are above the law, piloting their massively huge toys for the first time while having no experience, no concept and/or no conscience about your welfare. When I lived in Key Biscayne, these were my neighbors.

You got caught, Bro. It wasn't the first and I doubt it will be the last time an inconsiderate idiot will hurt somebody. Keeping watch will take care of most of those situations, but sometimes you've got to just eat one. Hopefully you'll be ready next time, but as is often the case over there, that may not be enough either. Just get well.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:17 PM   #29
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I cannot imagine someone intentially coming close to you whern there is sea room to give them a little space, which equals time to turn prepare for it.
You should come here to see it. Most of boater here are occasional boater without much knowledge just trying to show their nice shining boat to everybody and there is fun to wake somebody... I am not telling everybody is like that, but after my first boat season I am so surprise to see how many stupid things I saw. Every time I am out on the river, there is either a bloke waking us by close encounter, or boat on collision track who do not care to take distance. I have even seen some cruisers towing 2 children on an inflatable buoy crossing my track less then 20m in front of me... Do they expect me to be able to divert if one of the kid fall in the water? I am sure they have not enough brain cell to think about that.
The reality is that some people care about their security, the security of others and care about being well educated people, and some don't... Some people are polite some are not... I do not think it is only related to boating, just social, education and mind.
Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
As to the offending boats responsiblity, most wake laws are base on what a prudent operator should do under the circumstances at the time.
In this case I think he could be found liable.
Certainly here is Oz, the regs say to not pass another vessel at speeds which could cause large wakes any closer than 30 metres.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:16 PM   #31
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If one of those truly bad wakes, and there is no doubt of recklessness, reasonably secured items have been displaced and anyone goes down or against an object.......

I agree, make the call to the USCG and get it recorded.

Use the words "operating in a negligent manner" as the word negligent is the official term for the USCG (at least it used to be). Also immediately say checking passengers for injuries and vessel for damage. That will start the dialogue or they will ask those questions if the watchstanders are doing their jobs.

It leave it open that future injuries or discovered damage will have more than a "I got waked bad" call.

The USCG usually bounces wake calls to state enforcement (I had that happen last year in NC when a sportfish broke out w sections of rub rail when the wake jumped the boat entirely over extra large fenders at a fuel dock).

It may or may not go anyplace but if law enforcement boats are out and about...it may help.

Pictures may be the only real help....so whatever means, including a loop recorder might be your best friend.

A huge problem is there are so many complaints of reasonable wakes, the truly "inexcusable" ones dilute the reasonable complaints.

My though on the call to the CG is at least as much for the offending boater to overhear as it is for the CG to hear. The recorded call will come in handy if there is any action to be taken, but I would not expect the CG to take any action unless there were an injury requiring assistance.

But if you were racing around in your sport fishing boat and overhead the boat that you just waked placing a call to the CG reporting the incident, identifying you, saying their was damage to the boat and injuries, etc. wouldn't that scare the crap out of you? I think it's just the sort of wake-up call, or "come to jesus" that's needed. Now this of course assumes he's monitoring 16, which may be a stretch.....
Old 11-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #32
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
I also hope you feel better. Back issues are no fun.

I am also perplexed by yours, and many of the other responses damning the guy inthe fishing boat. I am not saying he is not an idiot for getting so close, but this is part of the deal.
No, it's really not part of the deal. At least not everywhere.

While you should have you boat squared away for sea most anytime you're out, in a narrow channel like the ICW slow passes are really a necessity for safety for several reasons.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:49 PM   #33
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Nope...the sporty that broke up my rub rail said send him the bill in Manteo (rattled off an address too quick to copy) then denied that he went by with a wake.

Little chance he gave a dang either way.

T he ignorant or poor boat handler I can forgive, it is the arrogant that I just described I would love to choke the living breath out of.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #34
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Sorry to hear about your health. Recuperate quickly. You need more helm time to feel better!

Are you certain about vessel name? Damned, Damn? Found several damned yankee names. But no danny yankee. Asking because 'autocorrect' makes it easy to introduce errors into the keyboard.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:35 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
You should come here to see it. Most of boater here are occasional boater without much knowledge just trying to show their nice shining boat to everybody and there is fun to wake somebody... I am not telling everybody is like that, but after my first boat season I am so surprise to see how many stupid things I saw. Every time I am out on the river, there is either a bloke waking us by close encounter, or boat on collision track who do not care to take distance. I have even seen some cruisers towing 2 children on an inflatable buoy crossing my track less then 20m in front of me... Do they expect me to be able to divert if one of the kid fall in the water? I am sure they have not enough brain cell to think about that.
The reality is that some people care about their security, the security of others and care about being well educated people, and some don't... Some people are polite some are not... I do not think it is only related to boating, just social, education and mind.
Proof that Darwin was right.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:26 AM   #36
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
The boat had Danny Yankee written on the transom. I originally thought Damn Yankee that is what I imprinted during the incident, but the shock of it and all made the at the time imprint wrong. My friend 3-5 miles on up the river corrected me.

Next, no doubt I should have been more vigilant. I was flat footed in not seeing, in miles and miles of calm water a 35 knot boat overtaking from the rear. We were all on the bridge, just finished a snack lunch when the "Captain" overtook us. While at the time I was the pilot, I nor anyone else saw 'El Senior Asshat" barreling up on us. He was here, he was gone, all in a flash. I even had a tow but no slowpass. The wenches laying in the cockpit cheerfully waved, oblivious to the havoc their driver was causing.

Had I been more aware, I could have radioed, left the channel for shallower water, since I only Draw 4feet, I think I would have not bottomed, perhaps did a 150 degree turn, with tow, to hit the surf head on. Perhaps. Even stretched the trawler and tow across the marked channel to force a slowdown or collision. Perhaps. I have no good answer.

What I am certain about is that it is 2:25 AM, I am in the chair, not the bed posting, as I have been coming up on 2 weeks now and I am not happy with this guy. I, also am certain that I would never do what he did to me to another boater, even if I had the type of boat to do so.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:41 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Mule,I put to one side those who say DM behaved faultlessly and/or it`s your own fault. It`s plainly not so. DM had a duty of care to other users of the waterway, you included, and on those facts, he was way in breach of it.
I hope your back resolves. That you did not have immediate searing back and leg pain augurs well, good luck with it.
And I hope you find Danny. This is the time for you and others onboard and your friend upriver, to write down your recollections, perhaps with legal help if that works for you. There has to be a nearby boat owner lawyer who would delight in helping you with this.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #38

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
There ought to be a boat name that would tip off the offender that it was piloted by a bad dude.

2nd Amendment.

Sheriff's Day Off

Smith and Guess What
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #39
Guru

City: gulf coast
Quote:
Happens all the time.

Marine Max run "training" cruises for new owners. We were crossing from Key west to Naples, probably 40 miles from land when a string of boats led by a marine max cruise captain passed close to us at big wake speed. Imagine ten wakes in succession. No harm done but annoying and unnecessary and a bad example to the new boaters.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #40

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Beneteau, 44, Volvo D6 Mains
"Captain" Bill. Actually it is. Not excusing it, but as I said, if you are not in a restricted zone it happens a lot in my area. Take a look at a chart of SD harbor. Boats run full speed through the narrow parts and that includes naval, USCG, and harbor patrol vessels. Bottom line, you need to be prepared for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
No, it's really not part of the deal. At least not everywhere.

While you should have you boat squared away for sea most anytime you're out, in a narrow channel like the ICW slow passes are really a necessity for safety for several reasons.

Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote