Use AIS net beacon for PFD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting. I'm don't think it would be a very good replacement for a PLB though, but maybe as an adjunct to one. A PLB sends out a distress alarm along with position, similar to an EPIRB.

Would like to learn more.

Last edited:
How about this??? Apparently passagemaker has a problem with fishing AIS beacons.

https://www.passagemaker.com/technical/dangerous-ais-targets-fishing-beacons

I want to resurrect this thread, because I just found the relevant photo from last July

I would submit that while the Passagemaker writer has a point, his basic rant that AIS is a safety device, not a fishing tool is mis-guided.

My experience: While crossing the Gulf of Alaska, 45 miles offshore at twilight, we observed the following AIS targets depicted in the screenshot below. After my initial confusion, it became clear that they were indicating the location of halibut longlines set by a guy who was idling a few miles away.

First time I had seen such a thing, but as soon as I realized what they were, I was impressed by the utility of the thing and very glad that I wasn't likely to steam over one of his bouys in the dark. Traditionally, these things are marked at night by little D-cell flashlights which would be very easy to miss in any kind of a sea.

I vote for more of this, not less.
'Prof

Attachments

• halibut bouys.JPG
    halibut bouys.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 96
Has anyone looked at AIS net marker beacons?

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Fishi...pID=41oPu6nHFrL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I think they would be good for sewing onto a PFD in the event that they fall overboard. It should work over 200 hours and is rechargeable. It won't beat a MOB beacon or any of the MOB alarm systems but is is lower cost.

I see several problems with using one of these as a MOB tracker. The unit would have to either be left on all the time or turned on when the person went over. Updates every 3 minutes? That's a long time at night or in heavy seas plus no "alarm" would be generated when the person went over, just an increasing distance to the device. Each one is fairly expensive compared with purpose made and backed by well known companies in the business. These are made and backed by ?? Not only that, there is no worldwide standard that covers the use of these. That may change at any time, but in which direction?

I would much rather use something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Weems-Plath-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=47PN5EN68CFXW4WXMATW

Ken

It requires a smart device to be on and their app running for the alert to go out. Is it simply a Bluetooth device that alerts when the app gets dunked and out of range? what happens if you get out of range before it gets dunked? It says the battery life is non-replaceable and lasts 5 years, which means no polling to verify it is on and within range.

I found one a few months back that worked by RF distance from the sensor, and was built for outboards, but could be adapted to inboards. Any crewmember over 90' away from the boat generates an alarm that stops the engines.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom