Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
https://youtu.be/YZjsbPvqRPU

bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:21 PM   #22
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Pretty scary. A few feet more and the guy would have gone completely under the bow of the ship. Looks like no one on either boat was paying any attention at all. Unbelievable!

78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:11 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
Pretty scary. A few feet more and the guy would have gone completely under the bow of the ship. Looks like no one on either boat was paying any attention at all. Unbelievable!
The majority of all collisions could be avoided by either boat. That's rule number one, avoid a collision. All the other rules are just there to try to help you do so. However, ultimately, you do whatever it takes to avoid one and forget who is in the right or wrong. Now, allisions are much easier to establish the blame.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:24 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
However, ultimately, you do whatever it takes to avoid one and forget who is in the right or wrong. Now, allisions are much easier to establish the blame.
Ain't that the truth! And I've got a new anchor pulpit, rubrail and bottom paint to prove it!

Fleet Week San Francisco 2015....34 ft Californian LRC vs 60 ft Hatteras! Fortunately, my 15 kg Lewmar Claw held both me and a Hatt situated 90 degrees to my bow like a pickle on a fork. If it had failed, we would have been blown onto the rocks of Alcatraz Island or through the crowd of Fleet Week 2015 in the middle of the Blue Angels flight demonstration.

You can see the holes punched into the masonite panel above the port caprail.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:15 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce;
Today, heading in the middle of a mile-wide strait, a commercial tug about a mile and a half heading directly toward me, I turned 15 degrees to starboard.
A mile wide; a mile and a half away; that's a lot of water to play with. When he altered course to his port so far away, I would have accepted his silent communication of his intention of staying to that side of the "strait" and resumed my original heading. Otherwise, radio; slow down; get out of his way or all the above.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if, so far away, the tug was scratching his head at your intentions. A constant challenge for the commercial guys.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:40 PM   #26

may be he was looking to catch more of a push from the current on that side????
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:25 PM   #27
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jerry View Post
may be he was looking to catch more of a push from the current on that side????
When I travel C Strait against the current, I hug the shore for the current break on the inside of the curve. I can pick up a couple knots by taking advantage of the ebb. I bet he was trying to do the same against the current.

Mark, were you moving with the current?

Old 05-13-2016, 11:50 PM   #28
Guru

Flywright, I don't see what you refer to above with "holes in the Masonite above the port caprail". Can you be more specific? Did the other guy drag down on top of you?
Old 05-14-2016, 12:23 AM   #29
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
Flywright, I don't see what you refer to above with "holes in the Masonite above the port caprail". Can you be more specific? Did the other guy drag down on top of you?
Just forward of his fender line you can see two irregular holes punched into the panel just above the caprail. Those are holes from my anchor pulpit.

He drifted ahead of me on anchor with shifting currents and winds. When he got broadside to my bow on a slack rode, the wind (blowing toward my bow) caught him and blew him onto my pulpit. Prior to this "engagement", he had been steady on anchor to my stbd side in the crowded waters at SFO Fleet Week.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:56 AM   #30
Guru

OK, I see what you mean. When you said caprail I thought you meant the bulwark, as most do. The holes are just above the guard or rubstrake. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #31
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Regarding commercial traffic, when inshore often calling them on channel 13 will often elicit a response. Or 16. I believe the phrase is: "Using all available means to avoid collision."

There is an European thought that NOT using the radio and just using whistle signals is the more preferred way to go. BUT I believe using each and every means to avoid collision is best.

Mark: Were you still concerned after he pulled 'way' left? If so, why. Or why not?

Hawgwash: You are correct about wondering intentions. It seems as yachts turn 'seemingly' away or to follow the rules, they then dart back directly in front. One must always keep on top of the windows.

A tug hit (sunk) a fishing boat last week off Cape May The fishing boat was on autopilot, all three crew on back deck culling catch, and nobody looking where they were going... thunk., sunk., liferaft. all saved. It is suspected that the autopilot was linked to the plotter, as it did a rapid course change just before impact, while all 3 crew were still on back deck.
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/n...15162fbd5.html
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:58 PM   #32
Guru

I wonder if "mike" was driving the tug too. The CG usually figures both sides are at fault in percentages, unless its really obvious that one participant did it all.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:15 AM   #33
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post

Mark: Were you still concerned after he pulled 'way' left? If so, why. Or why not?

His turn to port was subsequent to my turn to starboard, but it was several minutes later that the tug's change in course would appear to cause a collision if our courses and speeds remained unchanged. If he had remained on his original course (parallel to shore), my initial turn to starboard would avoid any chance of collision.

I don't recall whether the current was ebbing or flowing. Regardless, the tug's course change was contrary to standard/good practice. Even though I was the stand-on vessel, I was required to make a significant counter maneuver to avoid collision.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:03 PM   #34
Guru

In this instance you should have just gone stbd to stbd with the tug and left it alone. When you went to stbd and he went to port, you then went back to port as you should to avoid collision. From his perspective there was no need to go port to port and it sounds like there really wasn't. Its not always necessary to do so.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:25 AM   #35
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Had a tug pass on my port side about 20' away and pushing a helluva lot of water, he then mad a sharp turn across my bow missing me by about 15' ........

Securite, Securite, Securite - All mariners take heed. The tug Moran heading north bound into the East River in an erratic and dangerous manner.

Heard the CG call him, they never called me and I never heard their conversation.
Well played
Old 05-26-2016, 11:17 AM   #36
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
No need for AIS. In our area a simple smartphone with Marinetraffic can give the info you need to effectively communicate with a vessel at a distance before it becomes an issue.
The Marine Traffic web app has a significant delay. I know I watch myself on it when I am stalking other boater friends
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:20 AM   #37
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Don't forget that you can use those horns for a "one whistle" of Two whistle" pass.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:43 PM   #38
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
The Marine Traffic web app has a significant delay. I know I watch myself on it when I am stalking other boater friends
Yes it does have a delay at times, but I find that it's better than nothing. I appreciate knowing the vessel's name in case I need to coordinate a pass or crossing on the radio. It's also helpful while monitoring the VTS channels so I get the 'big picture' of what's moving in my area.