Old 01-10-2018, 08:59 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Another question .Would you rather be in a diesel boat lobbing along at 7 knots or a petrol ?
Diesel of course but that's the problem, it's never that simple. The real question is, how much higher a purchase price am I willing to pay, how long am I going to keep the boat, and how many thousands of miles am I going to run it?

kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:07 PM   #22
Guru

City: Sydney
If I had ever taken economics into the decision to do anything in life I would never get out of bed in the morning

gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:51 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Diesel of course but that's the problem, it's never that simple. The real question is, how much higher a purchase price am I willing to pay, how long am I going to keep the boat, and how many thousands of miles am I going to run it?
Not so quick. Diesel at 7 knots or petrol at 15, some of us might select the petrol. That's the thing in making the decision, there are always many factors, not just type of fuel.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:54 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Not so quick. Diesel at 7 knots or petrol at 15, some of us might select the petrol. That's the thing in making the decision, there are always many factors, not just type of fuel.

I think we are on a Trawler Forum nothing to do with speed
Old 01-10-2018, 11:10 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
I think you're under an illusion and at least 40% of the boats owned by members here are capable of well above 7 knots. A lot of Bayliners, Mainships, Sea Rays, American Tugs, Ranger Tugs, Tollycraft, SF's.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:39 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
I think you're under an illusion and at least 40% of the boats owned by members here are capable of well above 7 knots. A lot of Bayliners, Mainships, Sea Rays, American Tugs, Ranger Tugs, Tollycraft, SF's.

15?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:36 AM   #27
Guru

City: Boston Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey6404 View Post
..... I'm ok with a gasoline system...... I'm used to sitting on 60 to 80 gallons of gas without a second thought. I was second guessing my comfort level when it came to living with and sleeping with 300+ gallons of gas.....
I don't think the problems associated with gas engines come in small or large. If it all goes bad, I'm not sure the difference between 80 gallons vs 300 gallons will matter to you. It will matter to the boats that are 5 or 6 slips away from you....but your outcome will be the same either way.
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:00 AM   #28
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
If I had ever taken economics into the decision to do anything in life I would never get out of bed in the morning

Not true, you take economics into the decision when you get out of bed. If there were no economics involved you wouldn't get out of bed.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:03 AM   #29
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Here’s a good loop boat imho. It can go fast or slow, good living space for 2 with occasional guests and they’ll always be dock space for you. Buy it, do the loop and then decide. You can quit or sell it, and move up but you’re not out a lot (asking $26.5k). These are also trailerable and you’re on the right coast.
Quote:
Will it go 250 miles on the 102 gallons of gas? At what speed would you have to run to do so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
I have no idea on what distance and what speed but the boat in the picture I posted supposedly did the loop. This maybe a question for the AGLCA.
Quote:
Well, the maximum distance required is 250 miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk View Post
There is no way that Bayliner will go 250 miles on 102 gallons of gas.

Sounds like by definition a "good loop boat" must be able to do that 250 mile leg without refueling... which in turn suggests that example isn't one. Not necessarily an unfounded concept (small, trailerable, gas, etc.), just that particular example can't get there from here.

Probably also doesn't mean that boat couldn't actually do the Loop; just sounds like a whole lot of leaping through hoops would be required on the Tenn-Tom or wherever to solve that fuel issue.

-Chris
Old 01-11-2018, 07:42 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

Probably also doesn't mean that boat couldn't actually do the Loop; just sounds like a whole lot of leaping through hoops would be required on the Tenn-Tom or wherever to solve that fuel issue.

-Chris
From Hoppie's on the Mississippi (Imperial MO) south to Kentucky Lake or Barkley Lake. Could always add bladders or drums for that section.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:56 AM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
From Hoppie's on the Mississippi (Imperial MO) south to Kentucky Lake or Barkley Lake. Could always add bladders or drums for that section.
That distance has changed with the new transient dock in Paducah, KY. It opened this fall (stayed the first night it opened ) and has gas, diesel, electric, water, and pump out. Will have to check my ship's log, but think Hoppie's to Paducah is around 200 miles.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:45 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
That distance has changed with the new transient dock in Paducah, KY. It opened this fall (stayed the first night it opened ) and has gas, diesel, electric, water, and pump out. Will have to check my ship's log, but think Hoppie's to Paducah is around 200 miles.

Ted
Great information.

Opened between your our trip and yours. Shows how things are always changing. Thanks for the update. As a word of caution, they change the other way too. For instance, Hoppie's future has been in question for a while and it's really maintained more out of caring about boaters than economics.

On the TN Tom, Bobby's Fish Camp is a location one must keep an eye on.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #33

City: Tampa, FL
Gasoline engines are much like a propane system on a boat. Yes, if you mishandle them, or ignore (or don't understand) the potential dangers, then you might just blow up your boat. If, on the other hand, you DO understand the dangers, follow proper procedures, and treat them with the respect that they deserve, then the dangers can be more than adequately mitigated.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #34

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Quote:
Quote:
Most of us are here because we chose slow and economical over the alternative..

Some of us have both.

And some of us didn't know you could have an economical boat that can cruise @ 15mph.

I don't like going slow but I like to use my boat. A 34' boat with twin 454's just wouldn't work for me and I couldn't afford to run it like I run my 34' boat with a single 6cyl diesel.

If I could go 15knots I would.

Bringing up "the competition" is what forums are about.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:14 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwesson View Post
Most of us are here because we chose slow and economical over the alternative..

Some of us have both.

And some of us didn't know you could have an economical boat that can cruise @ 15mph.

I don't like going slow but I like to use my boat. A 34' boat with twin 454's just wouldn't work for me and I couldn't afford to run it like I run my 34' boat with a single 6cyl diesel.

If I could go 15knots I would.

Bringing up "the competition" is what forums are about.
The specific issue here though is that by purchased the petrol engine he can save considerable dollars up front. Most boats with gas engines are also
going to cruise faster than 7 knots and while they won't be as economical as a 7 knot diesel would have been the typically are cruised faster. 15 knots wouldn't be exceptionally fast at all. They also won't gain in economy by slowing down as much as diesel boats do. Then it's just a matter of how they choose to use them. A very small percentage of gas powered boats on the Great Lakes run regularly at displacement speed.

Just because it's the first one I found, here are some numbers on a 34' Baja with twin 415 hp Mercruisers. 4.8 knots gets 1.6 nmpg. 27.3 knots gets 1.7 nmpg, 43.6 knots gets 1.6 nmpg, 50 knots gets 1.4 nmpg, 61 knots gets 0.9 nmpg. On this boat there is no savings by slowing down to displacement speed.

Now, a 35' Sea Ray Sundancer with twin 375 hp Mercruisers has a very differrent picture. From 8.9 knots to 30.1 knots it gets either 0.7 or 0.8 nmpg. It can slow to 5.8 knots and nearly double that to 1.4 nmpg. Seldom would you see that done, but if it was doing the loop, it would have to slow to 6 or 7 knots to make it on fuel.

Looking at a 35' Sea Ray Sundancer, the base boat price with standard engine is $382k. Change that to diesel and it's another $75k, so basically adds 20% cost to the boat.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #36

City: Washington
If you are buying a boat to do the great loop or even a boat for extended cruising, I think you'll be happier with a diesel. Diesels are generally more reliable than gasoline engines and more suited for long runs at low speeds.

Now the loop can be done in any boat, even a pontoon boat or jet ski but a diesel trawler is best suited for the loop.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #37
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Kinda like saying diesel is the best car for.......

But it really isnt.

Not unless the guy had a particular boat being run at a particular speed and has the appropriate diesel for that setup.

The loop speed and most loopers are not really cast in stone.

I have a 6.3 knot boat and run it at that based on what I bought.

HAD I bought something else, say faster with gassers, I might do half my cruising at 18 versus 6.3..... but I cant..... but it is because of something else...not my particular desire or happiness at any given time.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:34 PM   #38
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Yep, no right answer, all depends... And I prefer gas simply because I know gas engines best, ever since I replaced the heads on my 1974 Chevy Nova SS in high school. Diesel engines are exotic foreign objects to me. And they clatter. And then there's the whole glow plug thing, there's all that bleeding I keep hearing about, and then cooties grow in the fuel tanks. And apparently you can feed those things fuel made from McDonald's french fry oil. I don't know how you guys deal with all that weirdness.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:03 PM   #39

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
I don't have a glow plug thing.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:19 PM   #40
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Gasoline is more widely available than diesel here, But then, we need to fuel up with diesel about once a year because a true trawler is built for range.

No glow plugs here. No apparent need. Engine starts within a second.