Security while at anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, that's an angry and unfounded outburst:eek:

You may not realize it, Simi, and I'll trust it's not your intent. However, his "outburst" isn't unfounded. While I totally agree with your observations on guns and violence, you've repeatedly inserted biting comments regarding the US and other areas in that regard. I can assure you every time you've posted such comments, I've thought the same, just decided this wasn't the time or place.

Now, back to the Bahamas. I've read the advisory. I'd be cautious but wouldn't hesitate to any area of the Bahamas. There are places I wouldn't anchor as the only boat but typically places I'd stop very near those.

I wouldn't walk through parts of Nassau alone or flashing expensive jewelry, but I can say the same for every city of the world. Every city has it's bad areas, or bad bars, or bad something, and if you're a stranger you may not know which ones those are. As to total safety, that's not something that exists, not in your own home or anywhere. We just weigh risks and enjoy life.

I am not paranoid, and don’t worry about hamburglers much, but I lock the boat down while sleeping. Can’t hurt.

You may not realize it, Simi, and I'll trust it's not your intent. However, his "outburst" isn't unfounded. While I totally agree with your observations on guns and violence, you've repeatedly inserted biting comments regarding the US and other areas in that regard. .
BandB, I always find it disturbing and angered as to how quickly guns or other violent deterrents get mentioned when security or travel is mentioned and it stands to reason the US will get mentioned when talking about gun related deaths

But
as was pointed out earlier, this is a discussion about the Bahamas, NOT the US and the point of my comment was, if the Bahamas or any place is considered such a risky area as to warrant extreme levels of security, why would you go?

As Richard said...

My take, is pretty simple.
I don't go places or even stop at any place where I am going to be concerned.
And once I've made that determination, I don't worry about it.

There are simply too many things to be worried about, if you worry about everything, in life in general, but certainly on a boat.

I've been to the Exumas because it was considered "safe".

Conversely, I did three days off shore skipping most of Central America because it was iffy enough for me not to stop.

If you can't sleep at night, what's the point?

Last edited:
..You would think they would be a little kinder to us after we played a major role in keeping their language from switching over to Japanese in the 1940's
HOLLYWOOD
I don`t doubt the US contribution to the Pacific in WW2 but with respect, USA only got involved when self interest kicked in following the direct attack at Pearl Harbour.

I have a feeling this thread is being discussed in the back room! We should get back on track talking about “Security while at Anchor” or this thingy will get cut.

A pissing contest between USA and Australia will get us nowhere.

I have a feeling this thread is being discussed in the back room! We should get back on track talking about “Security while at Anchor” or this thingy will get cut.

A pissing contest between USA and Australia will get us nowhere.

I agree.

Not true.

I have cruised the Bahamas with firearms on board. I'm in the Bahamas at this moment. You must declare them, record the serial number, and report the number of rounds on board. They DO NOT confescate (sic) them, but you'd best be honest with your reporting. The regulations say they must be kept under lock & key. In the event that you must leave the boat unattended (fly home), you are required to turn the firearm in to the local police who will give you a receipt, and return the firearm upon your return. Customs want to inspect the firearm when clearing in, but I have yet to have them come aboard, they always say they will but don't show, haven't yet. They make no fuss about guns.

Use it to defend yourself against a local..

Point being that if you bring a gun there for defense and use it the law is not on your side so declaring it would be more about passing through.

Use it to defend yourself against a local..

Point being that if you bring a gun there for defense and use it the law is not on your side so declaring it would be more about passing through.

Agreed. Point taken.

Well, if things are that bad where you are that you need to resort to killing people or even consider it to stay safe it time to get the hell out of dodge IMHO.

I can't even imagine having that sort of mindset.

Living aboard 3 years, doors haven't been shut let alone locked.

I thought your plans may include traveling to the south pacific , or maybe I don't remember that correctly - if so ,what are your plans for that trip?

I make it a habit not to stop at places I don't feel safe. That said, I don't reduce my security procedures (locking doors at night) because I feel a place is safer. If you break in through a locked door, your motives are pretty clear.

Ted

I thought your plans may include traveling to the south pacific , or maybe I don't remember that correctly - if so ,what are your plans for that trip?

We have been through Vanuatu and New Caledonia before with zero precautions taken.
We want to go through south east Asia, the only thing we will do is lit the dinghy at night and fit a sensor alarm/ lights.
We won't be locking ourselves in or arming ourselves.
And we will bypass any area that gets the Spidey senses tingling.

I am in contact with people who have cruised these waters for over 10 years without issue. Others who are less situationally aware have had dramas.
Some who openly flaunt their wealth can also have dramas.
At the end of the day, anyone can have dramas but statistically, it seems to be almost a non issue.

Having spent a lot of time in both situations, I'd tell you that you are considerably safer on anchor in the exumas with the door open than in most marinas in Florida.

Bruce.
The incident happened around 2am and I was woken up by someone stumbling over a guard wire. There was a launching ramp near where the guy 'fell' in the water and I indicated it and monitored his 'progress, as you say his swimming style was 'interesting' and he certainly won't forget it. I telephoned the sappers & pompiers (emergency ambulance) and explained he was either drunk/drugged when I saw him fall down the steps leading to the jetty hit a bollard and then go in the water and they whipped him away with no comment.
Later that morning I had a visit from the police and repeated my story that I heard a bang and splash and rang the ambulance. The cop asked a few questions in French which I tried my best to reply and hoped I had no further trouble.
As he was leaving the cop smiled, shook my hand and in perfect English said 'Ireland is very beautiful and I believe you have a direct way with problems, welcome to France.'
One thing most people overlook when visiting France is that 90% of the people understand English even if they won't speak it.

We use a three level approach. For us security begins with situational awareness and our primary focus is on prevention since It’s easier to keep them out than to throw them out. Defense is a whole other topic.

Our normal ventilation hatches are too small for entry yet provide sufficient air movement while anchored. If we opt for our windscoop on a larger hatch there are bars to prevent intruders. Our side deck, we only have one, is usually blocked by four 12 x 34 fenders to keep any boarders as well as our dogs from moving forward to the pilot house stairs and our side doors. We never move fore and aft outside the boat underway or at anchor. Underway, the doors are almost always closed and at night they are locked. At anchor it varies. We have dogs, some motion activated lights and a few contact alarms. We feel very comfortable with our sentry system and have never worried about leaving our doors open. If the dinghy is down it always has the key in it so it can always be used. At night the engine is tilted up and the battery switch turned off. At times it might be cabled to the boat. Most boat crimes are crimes of opportunity, so we try to prevent opportunities by being a bit more selective about where we stop if we do for the night.

Wow, that's an angry and unfounded outburst:eek:

You may not realize it, Simi, and I'll trust it's not your intent. However, his "outburst" isn't unfounded. ... you've repeatedly inserted biting comments regarding the US and other areas in that regard. I can assure you every time you've posted such comments, I've thought the same, just decided this wasn't the time or place.

Ditto.

-Chris

Simi 60, The Bahamas are a boaters joy that’s why we cruise there, but with normal caution. Sh-t can happen as your neighbors in New Zealand found out. It’s not the world we grew up in, so common sense is warranted.

You may not realize it, Simi, and I'll trust it's not your intent. However, his "outburst" isn't unfounded. While I totally agree with your observations on guns and violence, you've repeatedly inserted biting comments regarding the US and other areas in that regard. I can assure you every time you've posted such comments, I've thought the same, just decided this wasn't the time or place.

Agreed, knock it off.

Some who openly flaunt their wealth can also have dramas.

Isn't showing up in a big (or at least decent sized) boat flaunting your wealth? Especially in a lot of foreign locations that are quaint cruising destinations.

Anyone who can cruise around at leisure on a boat that is big enough to live on is wwwaaayyyy better off than the vast majority of the population. Even if the boat has seen better days.

Isn't showing up in a big (or at least decent sized) boat flaunting your wealth? Especially in a lot of foreign locations that are quaint cruising destinations.

True, but any personal cruiser, even a small one, is a rich yacht in the eyes of many and makes you a mark. A good argument for converted fishing trawlers and commercial boats as opposed to pretty little yachts.

Perhaps when anchoring in backwaters it might be good to toss some old fishing nets on deck :)

We had an attempt in the Bahamas a long time ago. Their machetes were out and the defining moment was when I carried my dad's pump shotgun to the flying bridge.

It was not a crime of opportunity, we were in a sport fisherman and it took them almost an hour to catch us.

You will not be dealing with a rational person. There will be no reasoning. Overwhelming response will stop the situation early.

As a Texan I don't want to fight it out on deck or in the salon. From the forward berth I can shoot the length of the boat or through any wall or bulkhead. My wife's safety is first.

We have been boarded at night only once in Destin. The young man turned around and looked down the barrel of a gun held by a naked guy. He was on the wrong boat, and we watched his friends hussle him onto the correct boat. Only reason he is alive is his hands went up and a girl screamed don't shoot.

Don't believe the published statistics. Most problems go unreported. I do believe an open boat is a deterrent, they don't really know where you are on the boat. But just in case, we carry extra fuel filters, oil, and shells.

The line for me is when they step on the boat. Stealing dinghy from the water is not life or death. On the boat is the same to me as in my house.

Don't believe the published statistics. Most problems go unreported.

The line for me is when they step on the boat. Stealing dinghy from the water is not life or death. On the boat is the same to me as in my house.

:iagree:

Ted

Geez there's some thin skinned folk posting here :rolleyes:

Anyone who can cruise around at leisure on a boat that is big enough to live on is wwwaaayyyy better off than the vast majority of the population. Even if the boat has seen better days.

Not flaunting it as much as others I guess.
A lot of south east Asia gets to see actual superyachts with gold adorned owners.
And plenty of flashy stuff down from there.
We are just a tired old ex fishing boat, my idea of jewelry is some string around my wrist ;)

But yes, you're right, I guess we live in hope that others are a more attractive target if nefarious actions are on someone's mind.

Last edited:

We have been boarded at night only once in Destin. The young man turned around and looked down the barrel of a gun held by a naked guy. He was on the wrong boat, and we watched his friends hussle him onto the correct boat. Only reason he is alive is his hands went up and a girl screamed don't shoot.

Wow:hide:

Last edited:
Thanks, but to be clear I’m not out to criticize the Aussies. Some of the most helpful folks on this forum are from down under. Joking’s fun, but I just think it’s lame to constantly take cheap shots at anybody’s country/state/religion/boat model.

OK, as long as we can still take cheap shots at anyone who doesn’t have a Mantus anchor. :angel:

It has been my general experience that those who boast, are loud, and talk tough are often not what they appear. I know a few guys who went in to Special Forces (Seals). They were all mild mannered, in control, and didn’t obsess over their guns. Google Admiral William Mc Raven.

Got boarded once while anchored in the Hudson River near Poughkeepsie, NY. Circa mid 1980's. I was a deckhand on the Atlantic Twin, a dragger out of St. George, Staten Island. We were lucky that the Captain was sleeping in the watch berth that night. He grabbed his shotgun and started yelling. They ran for their outboard and took off before we were all on deck.

I lock the doors on my boat. Sometimes keep a shotgun on board. I sleep well.

-martin

We were boarded while docked to Erie Canal Lock 23. Local kids jumped aboard and started ransacking the decks and fly bridge. Took a few moments for my wife and I to determine it wasn't the other one causing the commotion outside. Once that was straightened out I turned on the spreader lights and went outside with a machete while she protected our daughter with a fry pan and mace. The two guys jumped off and ran into the woods. I spent the rest of the night on the fly bridge and we left at first light.

From that night on I always pulled us out and away from docks with an anchor off the side and tied trip lines willy-nilly all over the decks and fly bridge ladder steps. Only boarding since then was from a racoon in Ottawa. Boy did he get a reception!

Another boat at the last lock in Quebec had their expensive folding bicycles stolen off the deck of their Grand Banks. It made TV news but it was in French so I don't know the outcome.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom