Security or te, Pan Pan, Mayday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Regarding Mayday, i have been told that its use in the USA is a bit different to what our mandatory VHF licensing course materials indicate. In Australia you can only use Mayday if there is life in immediate danger. As soon as a Mayday occurs serious mobilisation of rescue services, both volunteer and taxpayer-funded, occurs. Everyone takes a dim view of someone 'crying wolf' and wasting resources. So its Pan Pan for less urgent situations, some of which might escalate of course if their situation deteriorates.

I was advised by the USCG licensed Captain who provided my boat handling competency certification letter for the insurance company that in the USA Mayday can be used even when there is no immediate threat to life. This surprised me, but I accepted it at the time. Does anyone have any info on normal and permitted usage of Mayday in the USA?

This last summer I heard an instance where a fishing boat issued a Pan-Pan. A few minutes later the boat had sunk and the crew were being pulled out of the water. This was a case where I think the captain was a bit too conservative.

I'm certainly not an expert, but here in the US Mayday is appropriate if life or limb is in immediate danger OR the vessel itself is in immediate peril. Running out of gas or needing a tow wouldn't qualify. Taking on water that can't be controlled, risk of capsize or an on board fire are several things that come to mind that would warrant a Mayday call.

I agree completely with psneeld.

MAYDAY-The distress signal MAYDAY is used to
indicate a station is threatened by grave and imminent
danger and requests immediate assistance.

PAN PAN-The urgency signal PAN PAN is used when
the safety of the ship or person is in jeopardy.

SECURITY-The safety signal SECURITY is used for
messages about the safety of navigation or important
weather warnings.​

Imminent is the key word and one that is subjective. I've never used Mayday or Pan Pan, but I'm going to err on the side of Mayday and let the CG downgrade if they choose. The key is getting assistance immediately.

While there are those who have used Mayday when it wasn't called for and even hoaxes which carry very substantial penalties, I've heard of a lot of circumstances where a captain didn't want to admit how much trouble they were in or didn't recognize it.

What is immediate? To me, it's if I don't take action now, I might be in big trouble. I can't wait to see if I'm able to get the leak stopped or the engines fired because waiting can lose the boat and lives. One can always call back and say they've got the leak plugged or the engines started and it's a Mayday condition now.

I'm unaware of any differences in different parts of the world.

Back
Top Bottom