Old 10-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtheriault View Post
I appreciate all the useful discussion. I just donít see why folks wouldnít like a visual of an anchor on their device that shows that their anchor is set and staying set. I am a mechanical engineer and long time boater. I have teamed up with an electrical engineer to design the electronics. I have designed the deployment mechanism which is simple and foolproof. Within cell cover the system is simple and a bit more complicated for remote locations without cell cover. Is a couple hundred dollars for a reliable, positive indicator of anchor movement (distance and direction) really out of reach for most boaters? Certainly for new boaters without the years of experience some have this might be a useful add to their safety systems. The cost of a good meal in a nice restaurant for a boating family puts it into perspective.
The problem with all these aids to help new boaters stay out of trouble are nothing but crutches. New boaters need to take classes, read books and/or take boat handling instruction to get up to speed. Most new boaters using aids never learn how to boat properly and keep relying on aids to keep them out of trouble.

For brand new boaters, on the water boat handling instruction is the best way to get the knowledge and confidence required to have an enjoyable, stress free boat ownership experience. Anchoring is one of many optional courses offered by a competent boat handling instructor.

syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #22
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Needing this product may be dependent on the area one boats. I boat in South Florida and the Bahamas mostly and like to explore so I sometime take chances. The last time I was aground was after anchoring in a small area and when leaving the wind was blowing and the water was very cloudy so I could read where the channel was to pick my way out (plus Murphy arrived and it was low tide). I ended up spending a few hours waiting for the tide. So this device would not help at all.

Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:46 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fairport
Positive Anchor Drag Detector System

An awful lot of the bahama banks are scoured from tidal currents. Holding is very bad. My advice is to stay away entirely
diver dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #24
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Is the GPS in the float? Is the float held above the anchor with a spring tensioned device?

I ask because we can have over 20' tides here...if it isn't tensioned above the anchor the float will wander, so you wouldn't know if the float was wandering or the anchor dragging; especially if you were ashore away from the boat.

Also, would this be limited to areas with cell phone coverage, or if you were in a wilderness setting away from cell phones could you go for a long day or overnight hike and be able to check on the anchor?
Old 10-17-2019, 07:22 PM   #25

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
The problem with all these aids to help new boaters stay out of trouble are nothing but crutches. New boaters need to take classes, read books and/or take boat handling instruction to get up to speed. Most new boaters using aids never learn how to boat properly and keep relying on aids to keep them out of trouble.

For brand new boaters, on the water boat handling instruction is the best way to get the knowledge and confidence required to have an enjoyable, stress free boat ownership experience. Anchoring is one of many optional courses offered by a competent boat handling instructor.
As an experienced boater and one time boating safety instructor I would strongly agree that new boaters should have proper training but that is no reason not to make new technology available.
I encourage rtheriault to continue developing his product. Iíve never run aground due to dragging anchor (touch wood) but it never hurts to have another tool in the box.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:26 PM   #26
Guru

I keep thinking about the day we left Badger for a full day hike stern tied to shore during a 17' tide drop with the spare anchor deployed upwind off the port side; a gamble which paid off because the wind didn't change direction.

Then there's the video of a Humpback Whale dragging an anchored boat out of an anchorage.

It would give me great peace of mind while hiking to know that Badger hasn't moved, or if it has moved, to boogie on back...and I'd be willing to pay for that peace of mind.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Can you get reliable cell signal in those parts? I believe that would be required to get a remote indication, right?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:29 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
As an experienced boater and one time boating safety instructor I would strongly agree that new boaters should have proper training but that is no reason not to make new technology available.
I encourage rtheriault to continue developing his product. I’ve never run aground due to dragging anchor (touch wood) but it never hurts to have another tool in the box.

Don't get me wrong, I embrace new technology, I sold electronics and software to boaters and trained them on usage.

New boaters need to learn the basics first without aids. Small successes without help at the beginning builds confidence.

But when the novice learns to boat with aids from the beginning, the confidence level is less and the new boater is wondering whether the aids are correct or working leading to anxiety and/or stress. When the aid dies, then what? Duplicate or spare electronics would be helpful but carry a spare thruster motor? How many spare anchor drag detectors do we need to carry?

If anchoring is always with the drag detector, when does the novice learn to detect a dragging anchor by watching the rode?
Old 10-17-2019, 10:36 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
We saw the same thing in the airplane cockpit. Those reliant on digital displays and autopilots lost the seat of the pants/look outside feel. Like you, I'm old school. Learn the basics first then add the electronics and automation.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:59 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Can you get reliable cell signal in those parts?
North coast BC has slim to none...basically within eyesight of the few communities there are up here.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:06 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
We saw the same thing in the airplane cockpit. Those reliant on digital displays and autopilots lost the seat of the pants/look outside feel. Like you, I'm old school. Learn the basics first then add the electronics and automation.
Old school here as well. Did the BC coast with charts in a big ziplock bag, a deck mounted compass on the kayak, and a wrist watch. About as 'seat of the pants' navigation as it gets.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:28 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
I was fortunate (or unfortunate depending on viewpoint) that I started boating at a young age when there were no electronics except VHF. And my sailboat had no battery for a radio. We learned, experimented and used our brain and senses to get around by boat.

I boated for over 20 years until the first digital depthsounder was introduced and lower cost Loran C receivers became available. 25 years for the affordable CRT radars and 30 years before PC charting and GPS revolutionized navigation electronics.

I think about those simple early days and am thankful that modern equipment has made boating much safer and enjoyable.

How in heck did I survive in those days with no inverter, electric blanket, Keurig, electric toothbrush, stereo etc?
Old 10-18-2019, 02:19 AM   #33

City: Calgary
To those interested the device does not rely on GPS as it is detecting movement at the anchor and transmitting the signal back to the boat via electronics in the float. It can work with and without cell cover. This system is not a simple as it sounds and I have been playing around with different ideas for a number of years. That said what we have come up with is rather simplistic and robust.
I agree with everything everyone is saying about experience and training but for a couple hundred Canadian letís call it belt and braces. Not a lot of money to spend on safety and peace of mind.
rtheriault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:08 AM   #34
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
I'll buy one and be the TF Guinea Pig. Ominously, I've seen (Peru) the Guinea Pig ovens where the little critters are roasted and then eaten like hot dogs.

Maybe I'll pass it along to Eric who can attach to his trial anchors. This will be fun and provide some real world data.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:13 AM   #35
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
You seat of the pants guys that say not to have the technology are TOTALLY ASS BACKWARD and a dangerous way of thinking.

To make statements the following show a lack of understanding and are boardering on just stupid:
Dont have a autopilot so you'll learn how to manually operate the boat.....
Don't have radar so I'll never boat in the fog....
Don't have a second engine so you'll never learn how to deal with a total power loss.....
Don't have a depth finder ..... dont have a GPS.... technology is bad
And on and on.

This line of thinking is even worse in an airplane!

Get ALL the safety and convenience devices you want, and USE them, and benefit from them. That's the way your BOAT, normally.

And during training, we train for when the above fails. We train to develop the skills so we can operate the boat under different conditions, with and without failures. That's the way you TRAIN.

To say the you shouldn't buy technology because it will make you lazy or untrained is akin to saying don't buy a car so you won't forget how to walk.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #36
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
I have designed the deployment mechanism which is simple and foolproof.
Quote:
To those interested the device does not rely on GPS as it is detecting movement at the anchor and transmitting the signal back to the boat via electronics in the float.

Are you saying the device will "deploy" with the anchor? Go overboard, underwater?

-Chris
Old 10-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
To say the you shouldn't buy technology because it will make you lazy or untrained is akin to saying don't buy a car so you won't forget how to walk.
I'll have you know we have best of 1980's technology on our boat

On a long trip I organize the charts in order, then leaf through them as we move from one charted area to another. If the iPad dies taking Navionics with it I'll just shrug, pull out the relevant chart, and keep going on our merry way
Old 10-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #38
Guru

Would it have a dedicated receiver, something like a Spot Messenger device?
Old 10-18-2019, 08:51 AM   #39
Guru

City: Fairport
Quote:
To those interested the device does not rely on GPS as it is detecting movement at the anchor and transmitting the signal back to the boat via electronics in the float. ....
THat makes a lot of sense. anchor drift, not boat drift.
But, make sure you have either frequency hopping or some other method of multi-user discrimination when this thing takes off. Both on the ultrasonic link and the rf link. Sounds like two batteries to deal with too.
diver dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:07 AM   #40
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
If this ends up working well enough, it'll be a useful thing to have on the market. But IMO, it'll fall into the same category as radar, autopilot and some others where for some people it makes sense, while others just don't have enough need for it to justify the cost.

rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote