Old 01-21-2020, 04:38 PM   #41
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Not at this marina. The dock personnel are not permitted on boats.
Dont ask me why, I guess that is because 'things go missing'. The dock personnel are trustworthy and honest and knowledgeable, oh and underpaid too.
Over 12 months, I think I tip the 5 of them $100 (every 3 months) then an additional $100 for Thanksgiving and again on Christmas. They do watch my boat carefully.
$3000 a year in tips. Is that common practice at US marinas?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:44 PM   #42
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Not at my marina.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:45 PM   #43
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My marina is operated by city government employees. I don't tip government employees.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:32 PM   #44
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Mark when I go to Ft Pierce (a city marina) I always tip the dock hands. I don’t see why being employed by the city should make a difference.

Just my SSO
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:13 PM   #45
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmarr View Post
I leave my business card near the pilot house window dockside so people can see. Very similarly, I have a note that says “if you are concerned about the dogs call me at xxxxxx” for when I run into the store on perfectly fine days...
You take your boat to the store?

Awesome!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:07 PM   #46
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
We are very private people and protect our privacy so no name or phone mounted anywhere on the boat. That’s just us.
City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54

OK, if you say so
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:31 PM   #47
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Personally we post our banking info, SIN number, etc. just in case someone may need it (of course for looking after our boat)
Now, seriously, we have posted our names, phone number, and email address on our boat for over 16 years now. I would like to be contacted should a marina employee, dock visitor, or dockmate notice something "unusual" with our boat, rather than come down to the marina one day to "find" an expensive problem myself, where earlier action could have saved me.

Maybe I am naive, but I don't see how someone having my name (not full legal name) and my phone number would be an "invasion of my privacy" or endanger us?
In the 16 years we have done this, we have never experienced a problem of any kind with this.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:38 PM   #48
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Not at this marina. The dock personnel are not permitted on boats.
Dont ask me why, I guess that is because 'things go missing'. The dock personnel are trustworthy and honest and knowledgeable, oh and underpaid too.
Over 12 months, I think I tip the 5 of them $100 (every 3 months) then an additional $100 for Thanksgiving and again on Christmas. They do watch my boat carefully.
I would believe marina personnel are restricted from boarding boats out of simple fear of litigation over some perceived liability issue, especially if fire and flooding are involved. Besides, marina dockhands are highly unlikely to be knowledgeable in large boat systems and could easily just make things worse for the boat and themselves. Most cannot even secure a mooring line properly. I am fairly knowledgeable, but I would never board an unoccupied boat without the owner on the phone telling me where switches and valves are for an exigent situation. Please leave you contact number highly visible.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:38 PM   #49
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
Personally we post our banking info, SIN number, etc. just in case someone may need it (of course for looking after our boat)
Now, seriously, we have posted our names, phone number, and email address on our boat for over 16 years now. I would like to be contacted should a marina employee, dock visitor, or dockmate notice something "unusual" with our boat, rather than come down to the marina one day to "find" an expensive problem myself, where earlier action could have saved me.

Maybe I am naive, but I don't see how someone having my name (not full legal name) and my phone number would be an "invasion of my privacy" or endanger us?
In the 16 years we have done this, we have never experienced a problem of any kind with this.
Same experience here. No negative issues in 12 years. That's why I bought and installed the window decals.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:51 PM   #50
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Same experience here. No negative issues in 12 years. That's why I bought and installed the window decals.
Ever had a call?
Two butt tightening calls. One when my marina called me(they are very "hands off" so it was a worry initially),turned out they called the wrong boat. And the time I called a boat neighbour, I sensed his anxiety so quickly reassured him all was well.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:20 PM   #51
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I had a smoke alarm go bad once and another time, I forgot to turn off an old GPS. After a while, it lost signal in my covered slip and started beeping. Both were resolved with dock neighbors accessing a hidden key I described to them to enter the boat.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:03 AM   #52
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
My marina office has my phone number and the phone numbers of people to contact.
I have confidence in them and their ability to move the boat, if necessary.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:24 AM   #53

City: Sammamish
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 - 1998
I recently forgot to turn off our reverse cycle AC so the pump kept running and to some it could resemble a bilge pump running continuously. We have small printed and laminated placards in both pilothouse side windows with contact info. I got a call and an email alerting me to the “problem” within 12 hours of my leaving the boat. That’s the only contact resulting from our “posting” contact info on the boat. We are in an older private marina with a few liveaboards so that probably reduces the potential for abuse, but I will always have emergency contact info posted for reasons like the aforementioned example.
MMSI 368040370
Beaverlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:59 AM   #54
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
I would have thought that the marina would have all your contact information already and it wouldn't need to be posted on your boat.

If somebody tells the office that "The boat in slip 57 seems to be having a problem.", I'd expect they'd be able to contact the owner or an alternate.

For a one night stay in a transient slip I have to give them all that information, surely permanent residents would too.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:04 AM   #55
Veteran Member

City: Helsinki
Vessel Name: Manaatti
Vessel Model: Nauticat 44 2006
Great idea! Feel stupid not to have done it earlier. Thanks for bringing up this idea !
Happy Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:35 AM   #56

City: Sammamish
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 - 1998
Not every marina has 24 hour staff or even full time dock staff during the day. At least not in the PAC NW. For instance, our marina is about 300 condominium slips. There is a dock master - but that’s it. There are a number of similar marinas up here as well. Although Everett has one of the largest marinas on the west coast we also have many smaller “Port of City Name” marinas similarly staffed. We also have a smattering of liveaboards or part time (unofficial) liveaboards and a reasonable amount of dock foot traffic even in the off season. But little to no full time staff and certainly limited off hours staff.

The answer is to provide good samaritans with a means to reach out. If they have contact info for marina staff/management that’s great but how frustrating if you see a problem at, say, 7pm on a week night in early October and you have no idea who to call or you have a marina contact number but get an off hours answering machine. We were fortunate that the “problem” was actually a reflection of a normal process (reverse cycle AC pumping water) and not a constant bilge pump flow. But I was really glad that somebody cared enough to call.

Sorry for what became a semi-rant - I don’t mean it that way. It’s just that not every marina is staffed 7x24x365 and I DO know who to call to initiate potential emergency action (we live about 90 minutes away from the boat).
MMSI 368040370
Beaverlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:54 AM   #57
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
My marina is operated by city government employees. I don't tip government employees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
Mark when I go to Ft Pierce (a city marina) I always tip the dock hands. I don’t see why being employed by the city should make a difference.

Just my SSO
That's called a bribe. I'm a former government employee and never accepted a bribe.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:40 AM   #58
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
That's called a bribe. I'm a former government employee and never accepted a bribe.
I too am a former govt employee and hated when someone would offer me 'something of value' if I wrote a report in their favor. I chewed their butt off and reminded them if I accepted and my employer found out, I would be fired and then I would have to move in with them. LOL
Old 02-01-2020, 08:38 PM   #59

City: La Conner WA
Vessel Name: Northwest Dream
Vessel Model: Davis Vashon 42 Trawler (Defever design)
...last night we had a huge windstorm in our area. We already had the boat tied up good, extra lines out, etc. But went to check on it. It was fine. But we found a piece of somebody's brand new canvas floating in the water and fished it out. It matched the color and edge trim of the boat I found it next to, so I dropped it in his lazarrette and sent the owner a text with the picture of the canvas and what I did with it. He replied it was his and thanked me, and was going to head to his boat to check on everything else.

I got his number from the card in his boat window.

I could have lashed it to a rail (don't know where it went) and left, and he would have found it. But that let him know it was off and what was up.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:49 PM   #60
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
My insurance premium is always paid up... need I say more??!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote