Nav/Marine Systems Classes for Women?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimL

Vessel Name
Lemon Drops
Vessel Make
2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
My wife and I are moving into a trawler or semi-displacement from a sport cruiser. We are looking into our future and have plans for cruising the Great Loop and eventually the Caribbean. I have experience as the captain, however, my wife realized that she could use some nautical and marine systems training in an environment of women who are not as experienced and their spouses.

Does anyone have any recommendations of a trawler school (not sailing) that caters to women, on the east coast?

Jim

There's one called Womanship and several others come up if your Google "sail training for women" and "boat training for women."

-Chris

Wifey B: I don't get this entire hypothesis that somehow women need something different than men. Why not just courses for those who are inexperienced or something. I'm a woman...200 Ton Master...I know other female captains. I just find the suggestion that some how our little brains or something need a different course than you macho men. I'm sure there are such courses and people who desire them. Just the concept makes zero sense to me.

:angry:

Assuming it was Jim's wifey's idea, prob'ly just a case of different strokes...

-Chris

The US Power Squadrons offer a class now called Partner in Command - meant to educated the mate / crew in the basics so that if / when the skipper is incapacitated others know enough to take over and get to safety or home port.
I would consider this a starter course to get basic knowledge - the key then is to practice to become familiar w/ those items covered.
I also recommend, if possible, finding another spouse in your marina or other group that has experience and over time pick their brain and have them tutor you on YOUR boat to help you get familiar w/ your own boat.

When I have instructed this I try to get a female to participate as an instructor and we do it as a team. I don't think the material needs to be any different male vs female but having a female presenter especially if the environment can be non threatening - nonjudgmental can make a big difference in how it is received (IMO)

I have seen copies of a seminar "Suddenly Alone" that way very well done. Not sure where it might be offered but here is a link Suddenly Alone

We are fortunate to have a very capable and confident female skipper in our marina that many of the spouses look up to... having someone to consult w/ and ask for help over an extended time can have some advantages over a professional instructor for a limited time period... if you can do both - all the better.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your recommendations.

As I stated previously, my wife has been the passenger - for the most part - and not the Captain on our previous boats. She is looking to expand her skills and wants to learn among those in the same boat. As we prepare for our next phase she realizes that she needs to learn some of the skills that I have learned. I could probably learn a few skills from her concerning the provisioning and other logistics required to get underway.

Anyway, Thanks for the recommendations.

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom