Mission Beach Dive. Unsafe piloting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First GFC`s dismissive posts, easily answered, implying Hickers was talking rubbish. Now this.
Why not here? Who says Hickers expects you to do anything?
Aussies, especially those who boat in FNQ have the right and interest to know. If you don`t like it, don`t read it don`t comment don`t post.

Come on. As a Moderator you should know better.

1) The post included a pic NOT of the incident but no qualification that it is a 'sister ship' photo and not one documenting the event. The OP opened themselves for criticism on that one.

2) Public shaming really doesn't belong in a forum based on 'hear say'.

3) People are entitled to post their opinions whether you like it or not. By posting in a FORUM you are opening the floor for discussion on the topic.

GFC said:
Is that the boat you said was moving too fast and throwing a huge wake?

Sorry, but it appears to me that the boat is moving at hull speed. There's no big bow wave and I don't see the formation of a large wake off the stern.

The timing might have been bad for the cruiser that was recovering his tender, but that's the chances you take.

Unless there are other pics showing that boat throwing up a large wake, or unless your OZ laws are much different from ours, I'm not seeing a problem with that boat or his wake.

BruceK said:
Of course the pic shows moderate speed. I assumed it is a pic of the offending boat not depicting its excessive speed arrival as related by Hickers.

Bruce, As I see it, the difference between my posts and yours is I asked the question if that was the boat he was referring to before I made any comments. Then my comments were not dismissive but based on the photo he attached with his post.

You started out by assuming that pic was not of the offending boat. We all know what happens sometimes when we assume something. I didn't assume, I asked.

I would have thought that the OP might have explained that the pic he posted was not taken at the time of the offensive act. Had he done that, I would not have posted what I did, and 90% of this thread probably would not have happened.

Fair winds and calm seas to all of you.

BruceK is no longer a moderator, but I wish he was.

e·mer·i·tus
əˈmerədəs/
adjective
(of the former holder of an office, especially a college professor) having retired but allowed to retain their title as an honor.

Bruce.. You started assuming that pic was not out by of the offending boat. We all know what happens sometimes when we assume something...
That claim is manifestly untrue, and contradicted by my words you quoted. My assumption,(reached on rational grounds), and quoted by you, (see below) proved perfectly correct(see OP`s later post), and led to no error.
With respect, your post is internally inconsistent.
"Originally Posted by BruceK
Of course the pic shows moderate speed. I assumed it is a pic of the offending boat not depicting its excessive speed arrival as related by Hickers."

1) The post included a pic NOT of the incident but no qualification that it is a 'sister ship' photo and not one documenting the event. The OP opened themselves for criticism on that one.

2) Public shaming really doesn't belong in a forum based on 'hear say'.

3) People are entitled to post their opinions whether you like it or not. By posting in a FORUM you are opening the floor for discussion on the topic.
1. I was, but presently am not, a Moderator. Thus the title: "Emeritus".

2. A later post by the OP confirms the boat pictured is the actual boat, not then at speed. Which is what I said. Where does "sister ship" come from?

3. Posts by GFC and B&B were respectively critical of the veracity of the OP, and the raising of the subject on TF. I consider those criticisms invalid, for reasons previously expressed, and accorded them richly deserved responses in kind.

Unfortunately it often takes more than a argument regarding alleged wake damage. It takes actual physical damages. Just saying somebody threw a big wake and it 'tossed me 'about is one thing. Having actual documentable damage is another.

But having to deal with unprofessional boat drivers is terrible. Where has consideration gone!?

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Three words to not use.

But having to deal with unprofessional boat drivers is terrible. Where has consideration gone!?

Nowhere. There have always been a wide range of boat drivers. Car drivers too. On the other side there are those who expect everyone to drive their way, whatever that is. This conflict isn't new. It was like this when I was a child and when those much older than me were children. Now sometimes we didn't see it because our views were more limited. There have always been considerate and inconsiderate people.

BandB, there are other references where fines are mentioned. I believe it is on the order of $375 per infraction.

The biggest problem of course is defining what reasonable is. A close pass with a large wake in large body of water is not reasonable. Beyond that it gets tricky. Common sense and common courtesy always are better than legislation.
The universally accepted interpretation of speeding was coined by George Carlin, when he said:
"Anyone going slower than me is an effing moron...anyone going faster than me is effing crazy"

Does anyone know of any successfu liability civil cases that were caused by wakes from passing boats?

The universally accepted interpretation of speeding was coined by George Carlin, when he said:
"Anyone going slower than me is an effing moron...anyone going faster than me is effing crazy"

Does anyone know of any successfu liability civil cases that were caused by wakes from passing boats?

Doubt there are any stats on it...

But I will bet money, the side with the sharper expert witnesses can make it sway that way in a heartbeat.

That is if no local law enforcement was involved...if so, their opinion will probably carry the most weight whether worth a crap or not.

A lot of gnashing of teeth here; the two things I gleaned from it all, apart from the strong urge to go and buy a shotgun and a box of rock salt, is,

Common Sense

Common Courtesy

There are always morons operating machinery, whether it be cars, bicycles, grocery buggies or yachts. Life is too short to deal with them all in the way they should be dealt with so our job is to stay calm and be comforted by how karma is a bitch and that we are real sea captains responsible for people's lives.

Happy New Year you lot!

I saw he same subject and opinion in different threads here and like anchor thread this will never ever lead to anywhere.
The reality is that courtesy is not a matter of law, rules or anything else but only care about others and being able to realize that what you don't want to get you don't give away.
While at anchor and having a drink I saw fishermen in small boat slow down not to wake me and salute me. Underway I saw big cruisers wake me like a !eaf and just ignore my salute. There is no general rule about who you meet and what will be the behavior.
This does not apply only to boat but to everything in life, you can meet people holding the door for you, some don't, you can meet people stop at the street corner and let you pass,and some not, you can meet people saying hello and some just ignore you... That life and humans, some great some less and opinion will diverge depending on who you are.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom