Old 07-24-2016, 02:02 PM   #21
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Handling a dink with a crane on a moored boat is a tricky process. If boat takes a roll, it can set the dink into some really wild motion. The correct way is to restrain it during the lift using tag lines both fore and aft. If that was not done, the one in control of the lift exposed the process to risk. If there were not enough personnel to manage the lift, it should not have been attempted.

If dive boat saw the lift in process and charged on anyway, that is not good. If the lift was going on out of view of the dive boat, its operator would have no idea that there was lift going on.

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:34 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
BandB, there are other references where fines are mentioned. I believe it is on the order of $375 per infraction.

The biggest problem of course is defining what reasonable is. A close pass with a large wake in large body of water is not reasonable. Beyond that it gets tricky. Common sense and common courtesy always are better than legislation.
That's what I was searching for but couldn't find, and agree that the key is common sense. Also, it's tolerance and respect for others.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:52 PM   #23
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Anyone ever tie to the float at Orcas Landing on Orcas Is, WA, right next to the ferry terminal? The boats transiting nearby pay ZERO attention to boats tied to that float, nor should they have to. Its big water there but the boats on that float take a real pounding. I doubt anyone stays there any longer than to run up to the store or drop someone off for the ferry. I always slow down when entering an anchorage and agree that those that don't are jerks, but probably the best thing to do is hail them and tell them to slow down a bit if throwing a big wake. Just today in LaConner, on the transit float, I was walking out the dock to look at an old Monk cruiser when this large yacht came charging up the Channel fairly close to the dock where boats are tied and he did have a large bow wave. Most do the Channel at reasonable speed, and it is a low wake area.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:02 PM   #24
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
That is one nice thing about having a boat that throws very little wake. Going through the Swinomish, I kept looking behind me to be sure that my wake didn't cause any motion at all of the boat tied up to the docks in La Conner. My boat travels at 6 knots without a wake.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:24 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

It may yet transpire the Dive boat at Mission Beach was dealing with an emergency, perhaps medical. Barring that or something similar, the behavior was not acceptable. That includes responsibility for the difficulties caused with dinghy retrieval, whether they saw it or not, the misconduct was the immediate cause of trouble.
I`m interested to hear any response from the boat.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:54 AM   #26

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Searenity
Vessel Model: Meridian 459
There is a lot of talk on this thread about the legality of making a large wake and a lot of the time that is the case with posted speed limits being exceeded but what ever happened to common courtesy? If someone is anchored in a sheltered bay as is the case at Dunk Island I would have thought it was common sense and courtesy to slow down and make a minimal wake if your passing so close that is may have an undue effect on the moored boats. It seems like many people these days don't care what affect their conduct has on others,

Brett
Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:42 AM   #27
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Brett,
You are dead right , but you only have to spend a weekend down the Broadwater and experience the wash effect of all the Sport Cruiser/ Sandshoe drivers to realize that none of them give a f**k about anybody else or their particular position in the cruising stream.
One really does expect more from the so called professional skippers but most of the Class 3 and 4 drivers really have no idea.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:05 AM   #28
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
There is a lot of talk on this thread about the legality of making a large wake and a lot of the time that is the case with posted speed limits being exceeded but what ever happened to common courtesy? If someone is anchored in a sheltered bay as is the case at Dunk Island I would have thought it was common sense and courtesy to slow down and make a minimal wake if your passing so close that is may have an undue effect on the moored boats. It seems like many people these days don't care what affect their conduct has on others.
Sounds like Australia is the same as this country. We always try to practice common courtesy but is seems a large percentage of the boaters we encounter on the water do not and have no conscience about it whatsoever. People buy go fast boats to do just that and they do not want to be inconvenienced to have to practice common courtesy. We see the same attitudes on the highways. As practical matter, society does not have the resources or the will to enforce the laws on the books. It is just sad more people don't put themselves in the shoes of the other guy.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #29
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
In heavily travelled waterways, such as the US Atlantic ICW, there are two sides of the coin.

Because locals feel it's their water to fish, kayak, swim, etc..etc....it is in conflict often with people who are using it as the boating super-highway.

I boat both sides of the coin....but lean towards the two sided courtesy coin of let the big fast guys use the super-highway. If I want peace and quiet with calm water, I go elsewhere. And along the NJ ICW, that's not always easy, but I feel is the fair thing to do. The big guys don't have much of a choice and thinking they are gonna slow down all the time, then the whole ICW should be slow speed, no wake...which it isnt.

Courtesy can be a 2 way street, can be hard to assign which side is in the right or not.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
go fast boats ... . It is just sad more people don't put themselves in the shoes of the other guy.
Well, I don't know what you term a go fast boat. Our fastest cruises around 35 knots and that doesn't fit our definition of go fast. However, it's a two way street of putting oneself in the shoes of the other guy. The person anchoring needs to consider the area, the traffic, the wake to be expected as well. Plus sometimes those anchoring automatically associate speed with wake. At 35 knots you will not be disturbed by our wake. If we run at 15 knots, you definitely will be.

I'm not speaking as to the OP's example at all as I don't know the area or what happened. I'm just talking in general terms. If you're going to anchor, you know high traffic areas versus those with more natural protection or those with no wake zones. I see people get irate at marinas when it's obvious the transient dock is very exposed to heavy traffic and to the tour boats. It's mentioned by many on Active Captain. The marina needs, but doesn't have, a breakwall. Is it annoying to be bounced around? Only if you let it annoy you. And the Ferry is going to pull out at 5:00 AM tomorrow just as it did today and pay no attention to you.

We're all trying to share. It takes common sense, courtesy and thought and it still won't be perfect. Best to be prepared for the worst case. If you're about to pass through an area where many boats are anchored probably too close to the primary traffic lane, still anticipate and try to avoid waking them too bad. If you're anchoring, don't anchor in an area where you know boats are going to wake you or don't act surprised when they do.

Everyone who thinks wakes are bad on the ICW or in certain harbors needs to go spend one summer Sunday afternoon on a 20 or 30 mile long lake in a 1 or 2 million population metropolitan area. You will be rocked from every direction, all at the same time, if you choose to be out there. Worst is the wakeboarding boat. They are designed to create large wakes.

Like most areas of conflict, there are always two sides and the other person may think they're 100% right as well. I think of us all having shared responsibility.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:15 PM   #31

City: N/A
Vessel Name: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
First GFC`s dismissive posts, easily answered, implying Hickers was talking rubbish. Now this.
Why not here? Who says Hickers expects you to do anything?
Aussies, especially those who boat in FNQ have the right and interest to know. If you don`t like it, don`t read it don`t comment don`t post.
Come on. As a Moderator you should know better.

1) The post included a pic NOT of the incident but no qualification that it is a 'sister ship' photo and not one documenting the event. The OP opened themselves for criticism on that one.

2) Public shaming really doesn't belong in a forum based on 'hear say'.

3) People are entitled to post their opinions whether you like it or not. By posting in a FORUM you are opening the floor for discussion on the topic.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:46 PM   #32
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC
Is that the boat you said was moving too fast and throwing a huge wake?

Sorry, but it appears to me that the boat is moving at hull speed. There's no big bow wave and I don't see the formation of a large wake off the stern.

The timing might have been bad for the cruiser that was recovering his tender, but that's the chances you take.

Unless there are other pics showing that boat throwing up a large wake, or unless your OZ laws are much different from ours, I'm not seeing a problem with that boat or his wake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK
Of course the pic shows moderate speed. I assumed it is a pic of the offending boat not depicting its excessive speed arrival as related by Hickers.
Bruce, As I see it, the difference between my posts and yours is I asked the question if that was the boat he was referring to before I made any comments. Then my comments were not dismissive but based on the photo he attached with his post.

You started out by assuming that pic was not of the offending boat. We all know what happens sometimes when we assume something. I didn't assume, I asked.

I would have thought that the OP might have explained that the pic he posted was not taken at the time of the offensive act. Had he done that, I would not have posted what I did, and 90% of this thread probably would not have happened.

Fair winds and calm seas to all of you.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:12 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
BruceK is no longer a moderator, but I wish he was.

e·mer·i·tus
əˈmerədəs/
adjective
(of the former holder of an office, especially a college professor) having retired but allowed to retain their title as an honor.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:22 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Bruce.. You started assuming that pic was not out by of the offending boat. We all know what happens sometimes when we assume something...
That claim is manifestly untrue, and contradicted by my words you quoted. My assumption,(reached on rational grounds), and quoted by you, (see below) proved perfectly correct(see OP`s later post), and led to no error.
With respect, your post is internally inconsistent.
"Originally Posted by BruceK
Of course the pic shows moderate speed. I assumed it is a pic of the offending boat not depicting its excessive speed arrival as related by Hickers."

Old 07-26-2016, 06:42 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post

1) The post included a pic NOT of the incident but no qualification that it is a 'sister ship' photo and not one documenting the event. The OP opened themselves for criticism on that one.

2) Public shaming really doesn't belong in a forum based on 'hear say'.

3) People are entitled to post their opinions whether you like it or not. By posting in a FORUM you are opening the floor for discussion on the topic.
1. I was, but presently am not, a Moderator. Thus the title: "Emeritus".

2. A later post by the OP confirms the boat pictured is the actual boat, not then at speed. Which is what I said. Where does "sister ship" come from?

3. Posts by GFC and B&B were respectively critical of the veracity of the OP, and the raising of the subject on TF. I consider those criticisms invalid, for reasons previously expressed, and accorded them richly deserved responses in kind.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #36
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
That's odd....I don't feel any richer!
Old 08-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #37
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Unfortunately it often takes more than a argument regarding alleged wake damage. It takes actual physical damages. Just saying somebody threw a big wake and it 'tossed me 'about is one thing. Having actual documentable damage is another.

But having to deal with unprofessional boat drivers is terrible. Where has consideration gone!?

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Three words to not use.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post

But having to deal with unprofessional boat drivers is terrible. Where has consideration gone!?

Nowhere. There have always been a wide range of boat drivers. Car drivers too. On the other side there are those who expect everyone to drive their way, whatever that is. This conflict isn't new. It was like this when I was a child and when those much older than me were children. Now sometimes we didn't see it because our views were more limited. There have always been considerate and inconsiderate people.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:23 PM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Mission Viejo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
BandB, there are other references where fines are mentioned. I believe it is on the order of $375 per infraction.

The biggest problem of course is defining what reasonable is. A close pass with a large wake in large body of water is not reasonable. Beyond that it gets tricky. Common sense and common courtesy always are better than legislation.
The universally accepted interpretation of speeding was coined by George Carlin, when he said:
"Anyone going slower than me is an effing moron...anyone going faster than me is effing crazy"

Does anyone know of any successfu liability civil cases that were caused by wakes from passing boats?
Old 12-27-2016, 07:56 PM   #40
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GANDK2PNW View Post
The universally accepted interpretation of speeding was coined by George Carlin, when he said:
"Anyone going slower than me is an effing moron...anyone going faster than me is effing crazy"

Does anyone know of any successfu liability civil cases that were caused by wakes from passing boats?
Doubt there are any stats on it...

But I will bet money, the side with the sharper expert witnesses can make it sway that way in a heartbeat.

That is if no local law enforcement was involved...if so, their opinion will probably carry the most weight whether worth a crap or not.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote