Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > Boating Safety and Concerns

Old 02-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #1
City: Port Angeles, WA
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Skagit Orca 27XLC
Marine/Radiotelephone Operator in British Columbia?

Good Day,

We cruise extensively in BC waters, and we do not maintain a telephone capability there.

Can anyone advise if there exists the capability to make a landline phone call from the boat via VHF these days, please?

IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
City: Trenton
I don't know about Canada but in the US we did have the ability to call a "Marine Operator" via VHF radio and have them patch into a landline. It was expensive but very good quality. Check if the area you will be cruising has a Marine Operator and which channel they monitor. Make the calls collect or you will be announcing your credit card numbers to the listening audience.

I made what had to be the most expensive phone call ever. I was coming down the coast of New Jersey and called the Atlantic City Marine Operator to make a collect call to my wife on her cell phone back in the days of roaming charges. The few minutes it took to arrange a meeting place in Cape May cost over $50.00! Piece of mind, priceless.

Al Johnson
34' Marine Trader
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member
City: Toledo
What about a Satellite phone or a product like the Delorme Inreach? With the price of Sat Phones and such so cheap now it wouldn't take much use to justify it - not to mention the hassle and potentially dubious reliability of a VFH radiotelephone operator. The other advantage being you can toss it in the dink/liferaft in the even of an emergency or take it on land with you.
devorenm is offline   Reply With Quote