Old 01-03-2017, 11:25 AM   #61
Guru

Realizing this thread has morphed quite a bit, but just in case the OP is still looking, there is a pair of Buell Stombos on Ebay for $150. I installed used Buells (from an ambulance!!) on my boat. Sounded like a large ship. Plenty loud and manly enough for the job. Also, small (1 gallon) pressure tanks, hosing and valves are all easily available on Ebay for a small price. Kahlenburgs are more expensive but the Buells look good, are well-made and are certainly up to the job!!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #62
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCook View Post
From their PDF catalog I downloaded some years ago: the FIAMM Fultone II horn frequencies are 300 and 260, and 114DB. Quite a satisfying sound, though not quite like the really expensive brands.
Thanks Richard. I couldn't find that information.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:17 PM   #63
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
To double a horn's range, it must be four times louder?
Old 01-03-2017, 01:04 PM   #64
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
One more point about horns; IMHO, chrome has no place on any kind of sea-going vessel. If you're on a fresh-water lake, fine. But salt water and chrome don't mix well. The link above to Hamilton Marine (a coastal Maine business) is for a chrome-plated horn. To their credit, I think that horn is one of the very few things they sell that's got chrome on it.
Don't be afraid of chrome. Not all chromed horns are the same. Mine is chrome over I think brass and has been in salt spray for nine years. Looks perfect. It is a road tractor horn, and the road environment and sea are not that far apart. Road salt and sea salt work much the same.

Now chrome on top of pot metal, that is garbage. I think that may be what you are referring to.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #65
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Why not stash a tank and compressor on the flybridge?
That is what I did. Buell dual horns($475) with a California Air Tools compressor. The compressor is AC. A buddy of mine helped with the install. After honking it a few times in my marina, he has installed a few more. I would say it could be heard from 3-5 miles. It is WICKEDLY loud. I have no clue as to decibels. But I would say it scares people in a 1/2 mile radius when honked.

A little "poetic justice".....my fuel gauges require a rotary switch to activate(I guess the panel is hot wired and designer did not want gauges to drag batteries down). It is just above the exact same rotary switch to activate the horn. On at least 3 occasions I have mistaken the horn switch whilst trying to check my fuel level.....and of course it absolutely scares the hell out of me. So I at least know how unsuspecting people react to my own horn.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #66
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
That is what I did. Buell dual horns($475) with a California Air Tools compressor. ... After honking it a few times in my marina, he has installed a few more. I would say it could be heard from 3-5 miles. It is WICKEDLY loud. I have no clue as to decibels. But I would say it scares people in a 1/2 mile radius when honked. ...
The reaction of a liveaboard couple when first hearing my horns when leaving the marina was "what the hell?!" inside their boat's saloon, so they relayed on my return. Fellow berthers have expressed jealousy.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:13 AM   #67
Guru

City: Vermont
As I recall, the Kallenberg horns are all chrome plated, yet they hold up well.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:15 AM   #68
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
My quest for volume is not to be heard at two miles away, it's to cut through all the audio "clutter" on other boats. Enclosed cabins, sound system up all the way, earplugs, etc. The horns that come on most boats are a poor joke at best.

Of course if I'm ever in a position to use them as fog horns, the two mile range could come in handy.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:47 AM   #69
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
To my old fashioned thinking chrome plated bronze or brass is much nicer than stainless on a boat. It does have a limited life, twenty to thirty years, before it needs rechroming but it just looks nicer than the cheap Chinese stainless that has replaced it on boats.

If you don't want chrome, both Kahlenberg and Buell offer their horns in polished brass and powder coated.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:03 PM   #70
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
As I recall, the Kallenberg horns are all chrome plated, yet they hold up well.
As are the Buells.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:48 PM   #71
Guru

My ex-ambulance Buells were several years old when I bought them on Ebay. They were obviously exposed to all weather and probably not cleaned (ever). They had been fitted on my boat for 7 years when I sold it and the chrome still looked brand new. I think there is chrome and there is CHROME!!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote