Old 10-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
B - I know not what you do/have-done; but, some of your previous inputs interested me. In due time I plan to email you about items, that are not regarding marine doings. Never know, you may be interested.

BTW - Thanks for info on disposing of old boats!

Art
Thanks. Feel free anytime to message me. I only know the disposal information because it's been such an hot issue in Florida and when we were in Washington, some of the removal of derelict vessels had just taken place.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:06 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Some of this conversation reminds me of the yachtyard I grew up working at (until commercial tugs called me). I called the owner (who I had grown up with as he worked there also) to see if he had any 'derelict' unpaid storage boats I could get a whack at when I was looking for a boat.

His response was pretty amazing. He had long ago given up trying to find the owner of record, had given up after two years of non payment of bills, and simply disposed of the boats via a front end loader, crushing them and sending them to recycle yards in the state. He had tried chasing owners down, and even going to court to get clear title is a PITA and takes several years of his time. So he just makes the boats disappear! He related that he has disposed of 9 boats (from 16 to 34') this way. So, not only is the disposal of fiberglass boats done, it is done regularly. As a matter of fact, my brother got rid of his 30' sailboat to a recycler in Marion Ma for $750. He had to pay to have it hauled at the marina, and the recycler came and picked the boat up. In some way it was good to know some of the parts would be reused by others, or smelted and recast.

cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Perhaps it will become like the electronics industry. I've been out of the loop for a number of years now, but when I left in 2007 countries were requiring a set-aside as part of a new product purchase, with funds going to recycling and disposal of the equipment at the end of its life. It was rolling out quickly in Europe, with other parts of the world expected to follow.

There remain lots of products where ultimate disposal becomes a public cost rather than being part of the product cost and placed on the buyer of the product. Personally I like programs where those public costs get pushed back into the product cost.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #24
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
Some of this conversation reminds me of the yachtyard I grew up working at (until commercial tugs called me). I called the owner (who I had grown up with as he worked there also) to see if he had any 'derelict' unpaid storage boats I could get a whack at when I was looking for a boat.

His response was pretty amazing. He had long ago given up trying to find the owner of record, had given up after two years of non payment of bills, and simply disposed of the boats via a front end loader, crushing them and sending them to recycle yards in the state. He had tried chasing owners down, and even going to court to get clear title is a PITA and takes several years of his time. So he just makes the boats disappear! He related that he has disposed of 9 boats (from 16 to 34') this way. So, not only is the disposal of fiberglass boats done, it is done regularly. As a matter of fact, my brother got rid of his 30' sailboat to a recycler in Marion Ma for $750. He had to pay to have it hauled at the marina, and the recycler came and picked the boat up. In some way it was good to know some of the parts would be reused by others, or smelted and recast.
Wow boat recyclers and disposal. Never knew they existed. Are there boat junk yards???
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:39 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Wow boat recyclers and disposal. Never knew they existed. Are there boat junk yards???
Yes, there are. One of the largest is Marine Connection in Fort Pierce.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:42 PM   #26

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
That video sounds like a boater who is painfully inexperienced. It sounds like she is calling a friend and futilely screaming for anyone to 'help' her. You can also hear her admit it was raining and she wasn't paying attention??

Sad.

Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote