Old 07-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
How well does your cockpit drain?

There's been some talk in some other threads about scuppers and cockpit drainage, and I'm wondering how other member's boats would handle getting pooped.

According to ABYC requirements, a cockpit completely filled with water to the "fixed sill height" must drain 75% within 90 seconds.

90 seconds is a long time to have that much water (hopefully) above the waterline in rough seas, but its

I haven't had the chance to test mine yet (and don't plan on it) but I think my 2 x 2" and 2 x 1" scupper drains would struggle to shed this much water. (although the cockpit may empty into the cabin, but that's another issue)

As many of you try to keep your boats ABYC compliant in most aspects, does anyone have a well draining cockpit?
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:09 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
This was my answer to the tiny scuppers which would never have drained my welldeck in any reasonable time.
Attached Thumbnails
001.jpg   002.jpg   003.jpg   017.jpg   028.jpg  

Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Great plan, Brooksie! I know I don't have the skupper capacity to past the test, although I planned to add two others. I like your idea better.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:35 PM   #4
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Any boat that runs inlets or spends time on open ocean should be prepared to handle getting pooped, slammed, broadsided, or whatever else causes a flooded cockpit.
More than adequate drains are only the beginning.
Just for fun, calculate the weight of your cockpit full of water, than add that number to your boats normal loading and then the new waterline you will be sporting. All the scuppers in the world do no good when they are underwater, and flappers are pretty useless when submerged.
The housekeeping in the cockpit must be immaculate, because everything loose will immediately move to the drains.
Chair cushions, rugs, sponges, rags, chamios, fishing gear, fish, food, beer/sodas, Ice, towels, t shirts, etc will plug them up.
Many boats have unsealed hatches that will float, so these guys need to have huge bilge pumping capability.
Your best friend in such an emergency is the 5 gallon bucket (not the old one that has sat out in the sun for years), and strong arms that can bail like hell for a sustained period.
If it happens to you, get on the throttle, and do not stop!
Don't ask me how I know!
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:49 AM   #5
FF
Guru

"All the scuppers in the world do no good when they are underwater,"

AS long as the water in the cockpit is being lifted up from sea level, the scuppers will drain , even tho you cant see it.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:14 AM   #6

City: Ft Myers, Florida
Vessel Name: Homegrown
Vessel Model: Roberts TY 43
Fast. Here is two of four freeing ports in our cockpit.

We've never had green water in the cockpit, but the size and location of the ports was by the naval architect.

Conall
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2270 (800x562).jpg  
Conall63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:33 AM   #7
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
It would be interesting to run the numbers but I suspect the screws on the latch on our cockpit door (which swings out) would give way, thus creating a massive scupper. Securing it with a heavy rubber band or light zip tie to allow for a easier breakaway might be a good idea when running in extreme weather.
Gdavid is online now   Reply With Quote