Old 02-10-2016, 08:57 PM   #1
Guru

Headsets for Docking

Just acquired a pair of Uniden brand UHF CB Radios (UHF507SX-2NB) with headsets, so the Admiral and I can communicate during docking without disturbing the neighbours. Fit the headset and the radio becomes voice activated(VOX), no pushing buttons to talk. I see other uses too, like ship to dinghy.
Cost $95 delivered, bought on Ebay from Pocketronics, a retail shop in Leichhardt, Sydney(Home). Same price on their website.
Do they work? Untried as yet, both units currently on the mains power charger.Uniden is a known brand, I have their handheld VHF for back up, friends report it has better signal than my fixed GME brand VHF.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:32 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
The radios should be fine. The question about the headsets is how well you can hear other things from people other than the two of you.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:49 AM   #3
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
The radios should be fine. The question about the headsets is how well you can hear other things from people other than the two of you.

That's why I like the models whose headsets have a speaker on only one side
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:03 AM   #4
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
We have a pair of decent "Family Radio" sets, and we've used those with headsets and the VOX feature. Not quite the same as CB, but probably similar, analog RF.

Works pretty well, but there's also a time-delay with the VOX activation... so we have to start sentences with something like "1...2...3...blah blah blah..." and the listener may or may not hear the "3" before the rest of the traffic comes through.

-Chris
Old 02-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #5
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Nice. We have an income system with a speaker box on the cockpit. It is tied into out bull horn system. When she is on the bow we can talk and hear each other just fine.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:03 PM   #6
Guru

When we come in we tie the stern off first. I can't see the stern or Karen unless I leave the helm and look over the side. the coms are very helpful. she guides me in and i don't squish her onto the dock. But we don't have any delay in voice communication like ranger. that would annoy me.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:46 PM   #7
Guru

Appreciate the in practice hints. The headset uses one ear only, but the Admiral is partly deaf in one ear, so either hearing me or a dock helper will be compromised, I didn`t think of that.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #8
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Moon River
Vessel Model: Devlin 48
For years we have used headsets and they usually worked. Now I rarely use them since acquiring a remote Yacht-Controller wireless system. Now I walk to were the action is (full side decks) and no need to deal with verbal communication when I have eyes on control. What is that saying one picture worth a thousand words or was it a thousand $ in hull paint touch up?
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
For years we have used headsets and they usually worked. Now I rarely use them since acquiring a remote Yacht-Controller wireless system. Now I walk to were the action is (full side decks) and no need to deal with verbal communication when I have eyes on control. What is that saying one picture worth a thousand words or was it a thousand $ in hull paint touch up?

Remote yacht controller...hmmmm. I feel like Homer Simpson dreaming about donuts and beer...
Old 02-13-2016, 04:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Brisbane (boats on the Gold Coast)
Vessel Name: Hassall Free
Vessel Model: Riviera 35 Aft Cabin
I brought some cheap VHF 4-5w handhelds from ebay that have a USB charger dock, I programmed them with some VHF marine frequencies and also programmed them with a private VHF channel, and also programmed my main VHF Icom with the same private channel, they have been fantastic, I use them for docking, intercom and also put one in a waterproof pouch and I give it to the kids when they go ashore or when the are of playing in the dingy. The good thing about a private channel is that you don`t have to worry about other users . Bruce if your GME is not working properly I would be happy to take a look at it for you if you pay the postage, I have a communications test set that I can test it on, although I am not a qualified radio tech I have been mucking about with radios and electronics for some time
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Rockport, Ontario
Vessel Model: 1986 Oceania 35 Sundeck
We are having the same problem but worse since I am totally deaf in one ear from chronic tinnitus. We purchased SENA SPH 10-10 intercom headsets in December. They have no belt battery and have a range over 500 ft. We tried them in the neighbourhood and they work great! Will
be trying them this year when we launch in May again (in the Thousand Islands).
Oceania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:11 AM   #12
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mast;
I like the models whose headsets have a speaker on only one side
Such a model would be?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #13

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
When we bought the Mainship we bought a pair of Eartec full duplex radios. They can be bought with your choice of headsets. We chose ones with only one earpiece. The radio goes on your belt loop or in a pocket. If you run the wire under a shirt or jacket it doesn't get hung up on anything. Full duplex means they are not voice activated, but have two way communication all the time. We really like them. I know there are others out there with Bluetooth, but for us these are fine.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:57 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Such a model would be?
Uniden UH507SX-2NB.
Now if I could just get the replacement warranty hands free unit I asked Uniden for 3 weeks back, and phoned and emailed about yesterday....
Old 05-31-2016, 06:30 PM   #15
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Sena SPH10

Dragging up this old thread to report on some headsets that I got.

A set of Cruising Solutions headsets were on the boat when we bought it. Turns out they had finally died and didn't work. They are no longer sold by Cruising Solutions.

I ended up buying a pair of Sena SPH10 blue tooth headsets. Definitely not cheap. We had the occasion to use them this past weekend and fount they worked great! My wife and I could easily talk to each other while anchoring or docking despite the high wind. The setup isn't as intuitive as I would like (I'm not that swift) but if I could figure it out I am sure that any of you could do it faster.

Sena makes a lot of products for motorcyclists and other outdoors sports applications. Anyway, they are great for hands free communications.

As usual, no financial interest etc....

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:45 PM   #16

City: Maumelle, AR
We have had different communication systems. We now mostly use our phones with Bluetooth. I understand reception problems, but most of the time, high 90 percent, we have reception and great communication.
bikeandboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeandboat View Post
We have had different communication systems. We now mostly use our phones with Bluetooth. I understand reception problems, but most of the time, high 90 percent, we have reception and great communication.
So you make a call and use a wireless headset with your phones? With good reptile that would work and no extra gear.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:30 PM   #18
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Don't see the need for my size (35 feet) of boat when the first mate is less than ten feet away.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Bainbridge Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post

I ended up buying a pair of Sena SPH10 blue tooth headsets. Definitely not cheap. We had the occasion to use them this past weekend and fount they worked great! My wife and I could easily talk to each other while anchoring or docking despite the high wind. The setup isn't as intuitive as I would like (I'm not that swift) but if I could figure it out I am sure that any of you could do it faster.
I just bought a pair too, based on recommendations at Trawlerfest. We can only get about 80-100' apart before they turn staticy and then can't hear at all. Nothing like the 900' rating. I posted an "Amazon question" and people seemed to think I didn't charge them enough. So I charged for 24 hours. No better.

What kind of range is your pair getting you?
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:02 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Bremerton WA
Vessel Name: Athena
Vessel Model: 41 Roughwater
I just started using the Eartec Simultalk 24G 2-way system and so far I like them. The price is not to out there and they work as billed. Its much better then trying to yell over the boats motor and wind. Makes for a more calm docking.

Russ Borman is offline   Reply With Quote