Headsets for Docking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
Just acquired a pair of Uniden brand UHF CB Radios (UHF507SX-2NB) with headsets, so the Admiral and I can communicate during docking without disturbing the neighbours. Fit the headset and the radio becomes voice activated(VOX), no pushing buttons to talk. I see other uses too, like ship to dinghy.
Cost $95 delivered, bought on Ebay from Pocketronics, a retail shop in Leichhardt, Sydney(Home). Same price on their website.
Do they work? Untried as yet, both units currently on the mains power charger.Uniden is a known brand, I have their handheld VHF for back up, friends report it has better signal than my fixed GME brand VHF.

The radios should be fine. The question about the headsets is how well you can hear other things from people other than the two of you.

The radios should be fine. The question about the headsets is how well you can hear other things from people other than the two of you.

That's why I like the models whose headsets have a speaker on only one side

We have a pair of decent "Family Radio" sets, and we've used those with headsets and the VOX feature. Not quite the same as CB, but probably similar, analog RF.

Works pretty well, but there's also a time-delay with the VOX activation... so we have to start sentences with something like "1...2...3...blah blah blah..." and the listener may or may not hear the "3" before the rest of the traffic comes through.

-Chris

Last edited:
Nice. We have an income system with a speaker box on the cockpit. It is tied into out bull horn system. When she is on the bow we can talk and hear each other just fine.

When we come in we tie the stern off first. I can't see the stern or Karen unless I leave the helm and look over the side. the coms are very helpful. she guides me in and i don't squish her onto the dock. But we don't have any delay in voice communication like ranger. that would annoy me.

Appreciate the in practice hints. The headset uses one ear only, but the Admiral is partly deaf in one ear, so either hearing me or a dock helper will be compromised, I didn`t think of that.

For years we have used headsets and they usually worked. Now I rarely use them since acquiring a remote Yacht-Controller wireless system. Now I walk to were the action is (full side decks) and no need to deal with verbal communication when I have eyes on control. What is that saying one picture worth a thousand words or was it a thousand $ in hull paint touch up?

For years we have used headsets and they usually worked. Now I rarely use them since acquiring a remote Yacht-Controller wireless system. Now I walk to were the action is (full side decks) and no need to deal with verbal communication when I have eyes on control. What is that saying one picture worth a thousand words or was it a thousand $ in hull paint touch up?

Remote yacht controller...hmmmm. I feel like Homer Simpson dreaming about donuts and beer...

I brought some cheap VHF 4-5w handhelds from ebay that have a USB charger dock, I programmed them with some VHF marine frequencies and also programmed them with a private VHF channel, and also programmed my main VHF Icom with the same private channel, they have been fantastic, I use them for docking, intercom and also put one in a waterproof pouch and I give it to the kids when they go ashore or when the are of playing in the dingy. The good thing about a private channel is that you don`t have to worry about other users . Bruce if your GME is not working properly I would be happy to take a look at it for you if you pay the postage, I have a communications test set that I can test it on, although I am not a qualified radio tech I have been mucking about with radios and electronics for some time

Last edited:
We are having the same problem but worse since I am totally deaf in one ear from chronic tinnitus. We purchased SENA SPH 10-10 intercom headsets in December. They have no belt battery and have a range over 500 ft. We tried them in the neighbourhood and they work great! Will
be trying them this year when we launch in May again (in the Thousand Islands).

When we bought the Mainship we bought a pair of Eartec full duplex radios. They can be bought with your choice of headsets. We chose ones with only one earpiece. The radio goes on your belt loop or in a pocket. If you run the wire under a shirt or jacket it doesn't get hung up on anything. Full duplex means they are not voice activated, but have two way communication all the time. We really like them. I know there are others out there with Bluetooth, but for us these are fine.

Such a model would be?
Uniden UH507SX-2NB.
Now if I could just get the replacement warranty hands free unit I asked Uniden for 3 weeks back, and phoned and emailed about yesterday....

Sena SPH10

Dragging up this old thread to report on some headsets that I got.

A set of Cruising Solutions headsets were on the boat when we bought it. Turns out they had finally died and didn't work. They are no longer sold by Cruising Solutions.

I ended up buying a pair of Sena SPH10 blue tooth headsets. Definitely not cheap. We had the occasion to use them this past weekend and fount they worked great! My wife and I could easily talk to each other while anchoring or docking despite the high wind. The setup isn't as intuitive as I would like (I'm not that swift) but if I could figure it out I am sure that any of you could do it faster.

Sena makes a lot of products for motorcyclists and other outdoors sports applications. Anyway, they are great for hands free communications.

As usual, no financial interest etc....

We have had different communication systems. We now mostly use our phones with Bluetooth. I understand reception problems, but most of the time, high 90 percent, we have reception and great communication.

We have had different communication systems. We now mostly use our phones with Bluetooth. I understand reception problems, but most of the time, high 90 percent, we have reception and great communication.

So you make a call and use a wireless headset with your phones? With good reptile that would work and no extra gear.

Don't see the need for my size (35 feet) of boat when the first mate is less than ten feet away.

I ended up buying a pair of Sena SPH10 blue tooth headsets. Definitely not cheap. We had the occasion to use them this past weekend and fount they worked great! My wife and I could easily talk to each other while anchoring or docking despite the high wind. The setup isn't as intuitive as I would like (I'm not that swift) but if I could figure it out I am sure that any of you could do it faster.

I just bought a pair too, based on recommendations at Trawlerfest. We can only get about 80-100' apart before they turn staticy and then can't hear at all. Nothing like the 900' rating. I posted an "Amazon question" and people seemed to think I didn't charge them enough. So I charged for 24 hours. No better.

What kind of range is your pair getting you?

I just started using the Eartec Simultalk 24G 2-way system and so far I like them. The price is not to out there and they work as billed. Its much better then trying to yell over the boats motor and wind. Makes for a more calm docking.

Don't see the need for my size (35 feet) of boat when the first mate is less than ten feet away.

We find many reasons for communication with out smaller 34' boat, but I also like this communication when on other boats of friends that insist on much more room. Even when I or the Admiral walk up to the vehicle for a part of tool it is much easier than yelling to add an item needed. Just many many reasons for quiet civilized communication.

I just started using the Eartec Simultalk 24G 2-way system and so far I like them. The price is not to out there and they work as billed. Its much better then trying to yell over the boats motor and wind. Makes for a more calm docking.

:thumb: These things work great. I use them for docking & for commo when working on the the boat (electrical & mechanical.) I don't think a guy could go wrong with a set on board.

DHays and JustBob: we got the SENA SPH 10 -10 for Christmas. Tried them on land and got about 900 m with no problem. We will be on the water with them for the shake down next week. Will give a report! Glad to hear you like them.
I like the built in battery pack and the short boom.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I just bought a pair too, based on recommendations at Trawlerfest. We can only get about 80-100' apart before they turn staticy and then can't hear at all. Nothing like the 900' rating. I posted an "Amazon question" and people seemed to think I didn't charge them enough. So I charged for 24 hours. No better.

What kind of range is your pair getting you?

We have not tested range at all yet. That will happen at some point.

DHays and JustBob: we got the SENA SPH 10 -10 for Christmas. Tried them on land and got about 900 m with no problem. We will be on the water with them for the shake down next week. Will give a report! Glad to hear you like them.
I like the built in battery pack and the short boom.

We tested again after charging overnight. Same result. I submitted a ticket on Sena's website.

I'm not really interested in the other set mentioned here with multiple cords and such.

I like the idea that the SENA SPH 10-10 is just a light weight headset. No wires, no belt batteries, no base station. Can communicate wit up to 3 other sets together on the boat bi-directional. That is, everybody can talk and/or listen like a conversation. That's the best for us!

A few points to consider.

Monaural (headset): One earpiece

Binaural (headset): Two earpieces

Full-Duplex:
Communication can be Sent AND Received simultaneously. Communication in both directions simultaneously. Think standard telephone (i.e. two-way bridge in traffic)

Half-Duplex:
Communication can be Sent OR Received but not simultaneously. Communication can occur in both directions, but not simultaneously. Think UHF (i.e. One-lane bridge in traffic).

VOX: Voice Activated. Can be either Half-Duplex or Full Duplex.

example: Telephone= Full Duplex
Speakerphone = Half-Duplex (ever wonder why sometimes two people on a speaker phones are talking over each other all the time?)

PTT:
Push To Talk/Press-To-Transmit: These are Half-Duplex communication devices which will stop receiving signal and begin broadcasting when the button is pushed. VHF, CB, SSB are good examples of Half-Duplex/PTT devices.

My wife and I tried the SPH 10-10 sets yesterday for the first time. Excellent! We could have a conversation about the docking as it happened. Each new what the other was doing and the status of the boat. Just great!

Had the headsets on again today in 10 it winds. There was wishing sound but not enough to affect conversation. Great job!

I agree. We used ours last weekend in about 20knots of wind and it was great. I am super happy with these.

One thing I did find out, is that you need to ensure that the mic is well seated, otherwise you can can some static.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom