Old 06-01-2016, 07:26 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Maumelle, AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Don't see the need for my size (35 feet) of boat when the first mate is less than ten feet away.
We find many reasons for communication with out smaller 34' boat, but I also like this communication when on other boats of friends that insist on much more room. Even when I or the Admiral walk up to the vehicle for a part of tool it is much easier than yelling to add an item needed. Just many many reasons for quiet civilized communication.

bikeandboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:33 AM   #22

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Borman View Post
I just started using the Eartec Simultalk 24G 2-way system and so far I like them. The price is not to out there and they work as billed. Its much better then trying to yell over the boats motor and wind. Makes for a more calm docking.
These things work great. I use them for docking & for commo when working on the the boat (electrical & mechanical.) I don't think a guy could go wrong with a set on board.

TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:42 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Rockport, Ontario
Vessel Name: Avalon Breeze
Vessel Model: 1986 Oceania 35 Sundeck
Headsets for Docking

DHays and JustBob: we got the SENA SPH 10 -10 for Christmas. Tried them on land and got about 900 m with no problem. We will be on the water with them for the shake down next week. Will give a report! Glad to hear you like them.
I like the built in battery pack and the short boom.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Oceania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:43 AM   #24
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
I just bought a pair too, based on recommendations at Trawlerfest. We can only get about 80-100' apart before they turn staticy and then can't hear at all. Nothing like the 900' rating. I posted an "Amazon question" and people seemed to think I didn't charge them enough. So I charged for 24 hours. No better.

What kind of range is your pair getting you?
We have not tested range at all yet. That will happen at some point.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:08 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Bainbridge Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceania View Post
DHays and JustBob: we got the SENA SPH 10 -10 for Christmas. Tried them on land and got about 900 m with no problem. We will be on the water with them for the shake down next week. Will give a report! Glad to hear you like them.
I like the built in battery pack and the short boom.
We tested again after charging overnight. Same result. I submitted a ticket on Sena's website.

I'm not really interested in the other set mentioned here with multiple cords and such.
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:43 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I like the idea that the SENA SPH 10-10 is just a light weight headset. No wires, no belt batteries, no base station. Can communicate wit up to 3 other sets together on the boat bi-directional. That is, everybody can talk and/or listen like a conversation. That's the best for us!

Old 06-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #27

City: N/A
Vessel Name: N/A
A few points to consider.

Monaural (headset): One earpiece

Binaural (headset): Two earpieces

Full-Duplex:
Communication can be Sent AND Received simultaneously. Communication in both directions simultaneously. Think standard telephone (i.e. two-way bridge in traffic)

Half-Duplex:
Communication can be Sent OR Received but not simultaneously. Communication can occur in both directions, but not simultaneously. Think UHF (i.e. One-lane bridge in traffic).

VOX: Voice Activated. Can be either Half-Duplex or Full Duplex.

example: Telephone= Full Duplex
Speakerphone = Half-Duplex (ever wonder why sometimes two people on a speaker phones are talking over each other all the time?)

PTT:
Push To Talk/Press-To-Transmit: These are Half-Duplex communication devices which will stop receiving signal and begin broadcasting when the button is pushed. VHF, CB, SSB are good examples of Half-Duplex/PTT devices.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

My wife and I tried the SPH 10-10 sets yesterday for the first time. Excellent! We could have a conversation about the docking as it happened. Each new what the other was doing and the status of the boat. Just great!

Old 06-21-2016, 08:40 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Had the headsets on again today in 10 it winds. There was wishing sound but not enough to affect conversation. Great job!

Old 06-21-2016, 09:25 PM   #30
Guru

I agree. We used ours last weekend in about 20knots of wind and it was great. I am super happy with these.

One thing I did find out, is that you need to ensure that the mic is well seated, otherwise you can can some static.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-25-2016, 12:37 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Yarrow Bay, WA
Vessel Name: SHASA III
Vessel Model: Transworld 40 Sundeck
Those that transit the Ballard Locks frequently refer to the wireless headsets as "Marriage Savers"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Don't see the need for my size (35 feet) of boat when the first mate is less than ten feet away.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:04 PM   #32

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse
Eartec for us for the last 8 years... love them!
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #33

City: Chesapeake Bay to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
We also have found that the phone solution is great. . We cruise the east coast and always seem to have Verizon signal. So a blue tooth headset is all it takes.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:56 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Jefferson Ma.
Vessel Name: Anegada da Vida
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34 mk1
We just got the Sena sph10 headphones. We have used them twice now and love them. We can communicate with a normal voice from anywhere on the boat or dock.
jdud133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:08 AM   #35

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
This type of communication really helps us accomplish safe, "no shouting" docking. We always know what the other is doing or planning to do.

Once, during a particularly stressful docking situation in Ft. Meyers, per my command, wife had set us for port side tie, which I suddenly changed to starboard at the last minute. Well, due to the radios, she could express her frustration and disappointment to me in conversational tones! We laugh about this now, but not at the time.

As we became more confident we often eschewed radio use coming into our home slip, well, of course, this led to an accident. She suffered a very bad finger injury as I didn't understand the situation. Radios probably would have saved the day.

We use the Eartec Simultalk 24G.

The only issue with them is that they seems to lose their charge pretty fast; otherwise, a very good product.
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:43 AM   #36
Guru

We used our Sena Bluetooth headsets a lot this trip and they worked really well. When doing a stern tie on shore it was very helpful. Great reception and they can be heard over the outboard. In some of our stern ties the dinghy was quite a ways from the boat.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-04-2016, 12:03 PM   #37
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
We used our Sena Bluetooth headsets a lot this trip and they worked really well. When doing a stern tie on shore it was very helpful. Great reception and they can be heard over the outboard. In some of our stern ties the dinghy was quite a ways from the boat.
Help me out here. Is a cell phone required?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Help me out here. Is a cell phone required?

HW you disappoint me. 😉

The Sena SPH10 is used a lot by the Harley crowd. To use them as an intercom, you don't need a cell phone. They connect to each other. You can use them with a cell phone for making calls or a Bluetooth music source for listening to music. I have used them with my cell phone to make calls, but the primary use for us has been as an intercom. For this purpose only they are a bit of an overkill, but they work so well for this purpose that I think to cost for us has been well worth it.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #39
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
HW you disappoint me. ��

The Sena SPH10 is used a lot by the Harley crowd. To use them as an intercom, you don't need a cell phone. They connect to each other. You can use them with a cell phone for making calls or a Bluetooth music source for listening to music. I have used them with my cell phone to make calls, but the primary use for us has been as an intercom. For this purpose only they are a bit of an overkill, but they work so well for this purpose that I think to cost for us has been well worth it.
Lol.
Thought I made myself quite clear in post 432 of another thread; never rode or boated with crowds. Only ever saw mikes on passing Honda couches.

Was curious about the intercom function. Could see a lot of "float tested" phones in my future otherwise.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:18 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Lol.
Thought I made myself quite clear in post 432 of another thread; never rode or boated with crowds. Only ever saw mikes on passing Honda couches.

Was curious about the intercom function. Cold see a lot of "float tested" phones in my future otherwise.

Time to get a boat HW. There are a few folks in your area who wouldn't mind you tagging along. You also could come down South and join us for some South Sound exploring.

Dave
SPOT page