He says inflateable PFDs suck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have any one of you actually gone over with one? Have you tried one out?

I did. I was disgusted with how it floated me (unless you like to do the backstroke and pinch your nose).

The inflatable is only summer /inshore use for me. The absolute most useless types are the waist inflatable packs. Nothing like having a inflated horseshoe dangling off your hip sideways.

Good!
When I posted this, I was hoping there would be some real testimonials.
With them being rechargeable, I think I would have wasted the initial fill right away as a test, just to see ho they did or didn't work.

Yes, we've tried ours. The neck collar inflates, worked well enough. Not for offshore, but quite serviceable for intended use. Probably useful to shop exact models.

I wear belt packs often, but that's more generally for dinghy use. And one has to have ingrained the correct method to get the sucker more completely on and inflated if one is in the water. Ditto serviceable for our use... but YMMV.

-Chris

Probably useful to shop exact models.

I think exact people in exact models of vests. That is one of the problems. It's a problem with anything in one size fits all or even two or three sizes fit all. We have people of all sizes and shapes on our boats and that's without even considering the kids. I'm almost 6'5" but relatively slim build. It's not going to fit me the same as a man who weighs 300 lbs. Then as to women we have females who range from very thin 5'0" and under 100 pounds, A cup, to 6' tall to 5'9" and DDD.

Back
Top Bottom