Old 07-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #21
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Yes to the never have too much (within reason and obviously prioritized)...

But nope to the not being seen, many have been almost run over and not seen by the craft even out looking for them let alone people who do the ICW to sightsee, not be search units.

Signaling is one of the major components of any survival plan.
I threw some flares, a handheld horn, a whistle and a can of orange smoke in my ditch bag, along with a handheld vhf and a waterproof flashlight. I can recommend one of those signalling lasers too. I've been flashed by one from a long way away, and it's impossible not to see it... if you're awake at least.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:03 PM   #22

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
psneeld

The two PFD's we bought came with a whistle and mirror, so just thought all high quality PFD's came with signaling equipment. If I am not wrong a whistle is a must on all PFD's in Louisiana.

kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:10 PM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer View Post
psneeld

The two PFD's we bought came with a whistle and mirror, so just thought all high quality PFD's came with signaling equipment. If I am not wrong a whistle is a must on all PFD's in Louisiana.
I would consider a whistle and mirror to be inexpensive items to include bease they are inexpensive...but would never bet my life on either o e saving me, even in many parts of the ICW.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:01 PM   #24

City: Ft. Myers, FL
Largely beaten to death, but I'll add my $0.02 in the hopes to convince you to PLEASE get a PLB for each of you.

It doesn't take much for things to go south quickly. You don't have to be out of sight of land to get in deadly trouble. You fall overboard for whatever reason, and while you may have the fullest intentions of staying with the boat, it may not be possible. Currents can - and will - get you and suddenly you're gone.

Having that PLB clipped to your belt, PFD, or whatever, can save your life.

My wife learned a very valuable lesson about one month ago. We anchored just off of Sanibel Island down here in FL. Whenever we do, I put out a 60' tag line off the rear of the boat. She decided "I'm only in 4' of water, I'm going to just float along. I can walk back to the boat".

Well, long story short she had one hell of a time trying to just walk back to the boat. I ended up going and getting her with the boat. And this was in calm, serene waters.

My point is, it doesn't take much if things get sloppy out there. If you go OB, there's a good chance you might not be able to swim back to the boat. Anything over 5' of water can be deadly. Please be safe. Push the button if you need to. For $500 everyone will have peace of mind.
tcpip95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:30 AM   #25

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
Well you guys have convinced me, will order two today. Any place cheaper than others also do they have to be registered with and agency.
kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:08 AM   #26
Guru

Always check with Hopkins Carter who is a supplier here on TF and more importantly gives a lot of outstanding input into the forums. He also does personal service in finding, ordering and delivering equipment that shouldn't go unrecognized.

After checking there, I have bought regularly bought from The GPS Store, Hodges Marine, and Defender.

I will toss in support for West Marine as they are often the only place in some towns that has what I need on a shelf and I can take it home and be operational that afternoon or less. An important thing when cruising, so even though the prices are high, I sorta understand and would like them to exist awhile longer.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:21 AM   #27

Yes, you will need to register them, but it will only take you about 5 minutes online.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #28

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sanctuary Of Sanity
Vessel Model: 1982 47' Bluewater
Quote:
Well you guys have convinced me, will order two today. Any place cheaper than others also do they have to be registered with and agency.
I think we will order a couple as well...better safe than sorry.
I'm going to order the handheld VHF w/ GPS also.

Another question...should we leave the PLB's attached to our inflatable PFD's all the time?
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #29

Clip them to whatever you're wearing. If you have the PFD on, then yes I'd clip it to that. if you're in any kind of questionable weather, you may want to have a laynard attached just in case you get hit and it flies off of you, it'll still be attached.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #30

Quote:

ResQLink+ PLB ACR Electronics

Hop Car has them for the same price as Amazon.
I wish I would have ordered when they were offering the rebate.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:04 PM   #31
Guru

Take a look at the difference between aqualink and resQlink if you haven't already.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Take a look at the difference between aqualink and resQlink if you haven't already.

Okie dokie.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:32 PM   #33

AquaLink is specifically designed for marine use, whereas resQlink is designed more for hiking, etc. HOWEVER - both will work in a marine environment. The main difference is that resQlink transmits at 5W whereas the AquaLink transmits 6.3W of power @ 406 MHz. Wife and I have the AquaLink View (model 2884) PLBs.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpip95 View Post
AquaLink is specifically designed for marine use, whereas resQlink is designed more for hiking, etc. HOWEVER - both will work in a marine environment. The main difference is that resQlink transmits at 5W whereas the AquaLink transmits 6.3W of power @ 406 MHz. Wife and I have the AquaLink View (model 2884) PLBs.
Thanks! I'll look for that one.