Flares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can get into a "pi**ing" contest because of my resume and the law.

And some have been reported to make a fuss over even having expired flares on board.

If I "pi**" the guy off then so be it and hopefully it will be taken to a supervisor who will correct the situation.

I have pride in my former employer and I like to see them get it right.

Many people don't like confrontation but I am not afraid when I am pretty sure I am right. When I am wrong, proper apology and take my lumps...thats life.

I don't argue with street cops...not my territory...but the whole concept of separating flares assumes the captain is clueless about survival equipment...which is the wrong reason AND my territory.

Last I heard, that VE got "notified" his position and attitude was "not in keeping with the traditions of the USCG" :D

All it takes is proper pushback....which the "anti-authority" crowd here has gotta love...:socool:

Last edited:
I like the idea of keeping expired flares separately from newer flares. Expired flares are less reliable and in an emergency, I want to use my new flares first.
I don’t want to be sorting through a box of flares looking for the expiration date.

I like the idea of keeping expired flares separately from newer flares. Expired flares are less reliable and in an emergency, I want to use my new flares first.
I don’t want to be sorting through a box of flares looking for the expiration date.
To be nit-picky...and to keep the over zealous inspectors in line...there are multiple ways to keep flares together but ensure the old ones are identifiable in light or dark.

Depending on your boat, storage areas, etc...sure most people can separate them...no big deal.

Flares only a few years out of date are almost 100% reliable...plus are you using them randomly, because a rescue resource is in sight or to help guide one in? Big difference in worrying if you have to try a second one with enough time to figure that out.

Ultimately that's exactly how the rule should read as it has become a decades old argument. It should read something like....Minimum of "in date" flares required, all others marked XYZ and stored in a separate container...etc....

It shouldn't be left up to some yahoo that has no clue as to what really goes on in a survival situation.

Last edited:
Greetings,
I've never shot a flare gun but are there any failure statistics for same? Do the plastic guns become unreliable at all?

Greetings,
I've never shot a flare gun but are there any failure statistics for same? Do the plastic guns become unreliable at all?
Even the 25mm ones have had failures...the cast barrels are pretty cheap.

As with any piece of gear...failure is possible... yet there hasn't been enough for the USCG or other watchdog groups to ban them. There was a major recall a few years back but like the recent fire extinquisher one and all the others...it happens. Protect and inspect.

The most common failure I have seen with the 12ga.... like Parks described...they either don't meet spec, or they just don't fire at all (bad primers I guess). Usually you are suspect anyhow because the brass is hideous or where the plastic meets the brass is deformed.

There was a recall on Olin and Orion 12 ga guns produced prior to 2000.
BoatUS. com Consumer Protection Bureau

As Psneeld points out, the brass base on the 12ga flares is often an indicator of the condition of the flare. If the brass is cracked, it’s an indicator that moisture has gotten in and swollen the propellant. Sometimes they won’t even go all the way into the gun.

Prior to the Marion Bermuda race some years ago I used to take out the various crews and organize a demo so everyone was used to handling and firing flares. We did notice however that the older flares worked better than the newer ones. Whereas I replace my flares I keep the old ones as reserved.

First of all you legally can not throw them in the trash. Contact your local fire department or a life raft servicing facility for disposal. Some counties offer flare disposal for recreational boaters.

If you have never shot a flare, I suggest you try them out in an open field. Not only will you learn how to handle them, but you will find out how short is their:ermm: flight and how little they last. If my life depends on a flare, I would rather spend more on parachute ones.

We used to have flare exercises periodically at my local USPS.

OK, guys. What do we do with out-of-date flares? I have accumulated quite a few and don't want to throw in the trash but don't have any better ideas.

Here in Merritt Island Florida the hazardous waste facility will take them (along with batteries, paint, old oil, etc). Just learned that myself a few months ago after years of trying to figure out what to do with them! you might check with the local trash/hazardous waste facilities.

I was also informed by a CG AUX inspector that the expired flares had to be marked and stored in a separate container away from the current ( up to date)
flares.

There is a bin outside the front door of the capitainerie at Bas du Fort, Guadeloupe, that is specifically for dropping off old flares.

You asked.

Out of date flares.

OK, guys. What do we do with out-of-date flares? I have accumulated quite a few and don't want to throw in the trash but don't have any better ideas.
Shoot them off on July 4th provided they won't cause damage to someone's
property, or hurt something else. Call out on the VHF to anyone near by to
let them know what you are doing. You don't want the Coast Guard to come
and rescue you. If you can get hold of the Coast Guard they will probably
monitor what you are doing and tell you not to, if they are concerned.
I have heard that some people just do it. You are right, you don't want to
put them in the trash.

To clarify what I would consider the "rumors" around marking & storing signaling devices aboard recreational boats (commercial, passenger, charter etc may be different and I'm not familiar with those differences)
The following is directly excerpted from 33 CFR 175 Equipment requirements I have highlighted applicable sections.
I'm open to inputs... If anyone can cite an error or other applicable CFR that spells out what has been tossed about re: keeping outdated flares "separate" or marking them other than the mfg marking which is a requirement and clearly indicates which ones are outdated.

While the practices mentioned could clearly fall in the category of recommended best practices - they are NOT USCG requirements and most states laws follow USCG regs.

Subpart C—Visual Distress Signals
Source: CGD 76-183, 44 FR 73024, Dec. 17, 1979, unless otherwise noted.

§175.101 Applicability.
This subpart applies to boats on the coastal waters of the United States and on the high seas beyond the territorial seas for boats owned in the United States.

[CGD 76-183, 44 FR 73024, Dec. 17, 1979, as amended by USCG-1998-3799, 63 FR 35534, June 30, 1998]

§175.105 Definitions.
(a) Visual distress signal means a device that is approved by the Commandant under 46 CFR Part 160 or certified by the manufacturer under 46 CFR Parts 160 and 161.

(b) Coastal waters means:

(1) The U.S. waters of the Great Lakes (Lake Erie, Huron, Michigan, Ontario, and Superior);

(2) The territorial seas of the United States; and

(3) Those waters directly connected to the Great Lakes and territorial seas (i.e., bays, sounds, harbors, rivers, inlets, etc.) where any entrance exceeds 2 nautical miles between opposite shorelines to the first point where the largest distance between shorelines narrows to 2 miles, as shown on the current edition of the appropriate National Ocean Service chart used for navigation. Shorelines of islands or points of land present within a waterway are considered when determining the distance between opposite shorelines.

[CGD 76-183, 44 FR 73024, Dec. 17, 1979, as amended by CGD 82-073, 49 FR 7119, Feb. 27, 1984; 49 FR 20815, May 17, 1984]

§175.110 Visual distress signals required.
(a) No person may use a boat 16 feet or more in length, or any boat operating as an uninspected passenger vessel subject to the requirements of 46 CFR chapter I, subchapter C, unless visual distress signals selected from the list in §175.130 or the alternatives in §175.135, in the number required, are onboard. Devices suitable for day use and devices suitable for night use, or devices suitable for both day and night use, must be carried.

(b) Between sunset and sunrise, no person may use a boat less than 16 feet in length unless visual distress signals suitable for night use, selected from the list in §175.130 or §175.135, in the number required, are on board.

[CGD 76-183, 44 FR 73024, Dec. 17, 1979, as amended by USCG-1999-5040, 67 FR 34760, May 15, 2002]

§175.113 Launchers.
(a) When a visual distress signal carried to meet the requirements of §175.110 requires a launcher to activate, then a launcher approved under 46 CFR 160.028 must also be carried.

§175.115 Exceptions.
The following persons need not comply with §175.110; however, each must carry on board visual distress signals suitable for night use, selected from the list in §175.130 or §175.135, in the number required, between sunset and sunrise:

(a) A person competing in any organized marine parade, regatta, race, or similar event;

(b) A person using a manually propelled boat; or

(c) A person using a sailboat of completely open construction, not equipped with propulsion machinery, under 26′ in length.

§175.120 Stowage.
No person may use a boat unless the visual distress signals required by §175.110 are readily accessible.

[CGD 93-055, 61 FR 13926, Mar. 28, 1996, as amended by USCG-1999-5832, 64 FR 34715, June 29, 1999]

§175.125 Serviceability.
No person may use a boat unless each signal required by §175.110 is in serviceable condition and the service life of the signal, if indicated by a date marked on the signal, has not expired.

[CGD 93-055, 61 FR 13926, Mar. 28, 1996, as amended by USCG-1999-5832, 64 FR 34715, June 29, 1999]

§175.128 Marking.
No person may use a boat unless each signal required by §175.110 is legibly marked with the approval number or certification statement as specified in 46 CFR Parts 160 and 161.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom