Old 03-04-2019, 07:14 PM   #1

City: Austin, TX
Fixed Fire Extinguisher for Engine Room?

I had an old Kidde Marininer FyreWatch fire extinguisher in my engine room. The gauge was on zero, so I pulled it out. The local company couldn't recharge it (zero weight and no pressure). So... time to go shopping.

What is the current wisdom on the best fixed fire extinguisher to get?

Defender.com and West Marine both have the Fireboy. I'm guessing I need a 200ft^3 unit:

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...091&id=2660219

Are there any other options?

oak_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:20 AM   #2
FF
Guru

Its not just an extinguisher , good protection is a system.

The bilge blower must be secured , the engine stopped etc.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:58 AM   #3

FF,
Thanks for the response. The old extinguisher did have two wires that came off of it. I'm assuming the wires went up to a box at the helm that had an LED indicator (and maybe an alarm??). No idea if the wires would lead to circuitry that would shut down the engines (and generator?) and bilge blowers.

Does anyone know if it's safe to connect the two leads (without the extinguisher in place!) and see what happens?

I would HOPE that if the circuit shuts down the engines, it would do so in a safe and non-destructive way, and hopefully in a way that the engines would immediately be able to start back up once the short was cleared. But since it's a 20 year old boat with no documentation on that topic, I have no idea, and am just a little reluctant to say "hold my beer and let's see what happens when I do THIS..."

John
Old 03-07-2019, 09:25 AM   #4
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by oak_box View Post
What is the current wisdom on the best fixed fire extinguisher to get?
This question got me to wonder how many TFers have an ER extinguisher?
Old 03-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #5
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
We have a halon system, grandfathered under the regs that gets checked every year.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #6
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post

I have a Fireboy automatic system in the ER along with the shutdown controller to shut down both mains and the Gen.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #7
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
We have a FireBoy auto system in the ER that is outdated - hoping it can be recharged. I'm still learning the systems on this boat - there is a display on the Elec panel for the FireBoy - not sure if there is an auto cut off for engines - more exploring to do
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:47 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
We have a halon system, grandfathered under the regs that gets checked every year.
Same here.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #9

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
I have a fireboy halon .how do you check yours ? I don't have a shutdown system.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #10
TF Site Team

This is part of a letter from Fireboy-Xintex regarding their Fireboy 1301 Halon systems. The letter is in the Forum’s Library in the Miscellaneous section. I’ve printed it out so I have a copy in case we’re ever asked. I get ours weighed at a UPS or FedX store.

“The only maintenance required on our units is periodic weighing (preferably every 6 months) on an accurate and certified scale. There is no expiration date on these units.”

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/d...db2199bd51f8f4
Old 03-07-2019, 01:53 PM   #11

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
I got this when I click the link .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	99
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	86175  
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:56 PM   #12
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by timb View Post
I got this when I click the link .
So did I!
Old 03-07-2019, 02:04 PM   #13
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Blue Sky, because she started life in charter service in Alaska, has four Fireboy automatic extinguishers:

2 in the engine room
1 in the lazarette (Genset & furnace)
1 under the forward stateroom (Not sure why. Perhaps due to windlass and thruster batteries?)

They have charged/discharged indicator lights at the helm but no S/D capabilities.

I have them and the handhelds inspected annually.
Conrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:41 PM   #14
TF Site Team

Sorry, try this link. If that doesnít work, go to the Library and download it.

Trawler Forum - Library - Miscellaneous
Old 03-07-2019, 03:56 PM   #15

My unit had a pressure gauge on it. The first thing to check was whether there was any pressure (there was not...) indicated on the gauge. I then unbolted the bracket holding the cylinder in place. That allowed me to move it around enough to be able to loosen and remove the screws holding each of the two wires (wrap them in electrical tape until replaced...). Once I pulled the unit out of the Engine Room, it was obvious that there wasn't anything inside.

Mine was also a Halon derivative of some sort. The only place I could find in town that would inspect / pressurize automatic systems - didn't handle the chemical my extinguisher used (FE241). So I get to buy a new extinguisher. As much as I hate shelling out another $600 or so, I wasn't overwhelmed with confidence about the place I had gone to... For something my life could potentially depend on, it seems prudent to get a good unit.

In addition to that, I've seen the FIREPORT advertised on Amazon.
This is a small plastic window you install into the engine room (in the upper deck?). In the event of fire - instead of opening the hatch and fanning the flames, you break out the small fire port, jam a hand held extinguisher nozzle in, and pull the trigger.

This seems like a good backup to the automatic system, and could potentially cover the forward part of the engine room that is the furthest from the installed system.

Does anyone have any of these?
Old 03-07-2019, 04:58 PM   #16
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
With halon systems the only positive way to check them is remove them from the boat and weigh them. There will be a weight on the label and it should be within the listed weight range. With a gas boat halon will cause the engin to stop. With diesels, they will suck it in and keep running which is why you need the auto shutdown for when the halon dumps. If you have bilge blowers thay also need to be auto shutdown.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
I'm a big fan of automatic ER extinguishers, but keep in mind that they are almost useless unless you also have an automatic shutdown for any engines (including generators) and exhaust fans. The problem is that the engine(s) and fans will do a splendid job of removing all the extinguishing agent, rendering it useless.

When the fire bottle triggers, it fills the space (ER) with one agent or another to smother the fire. That agent needs to stay in the space until the fire is out completely, and ideally cooled enough so it doesn't reignite.

Without a shutdown system, then engines and fans pull the agent out before it can do it's job, so you are firing blanks.

Lots of people rely on themselves to shut everything down, but I think it's very unlikely that you will figure out what's going on, have the presence of mind to know what needs to be shut down, shut everything down without making a mistake and missing something, and do so before the agent has been reduced to an ineffective level. I ran the numbers once and you only have seconds to shut things down

Now with an automated shutdown also comes potential problems, but to me at least it's well worth it to have an effective fire extinguishing system rather than a placebo.

But I will also offer up one caution. Some years ago, perhaps 6 or 8, Sea Fire released a new automatic shutdown control. It's a gray box, where the previous incarnation was a black box. The gray box device is an utter piece of shirt, with an incredibly high failure rate. Mine failed, and I know many people first hand who have had similar failures. And the killer is that when it fails, it completely disables the boat. When mine failed I was lucky to be at the dock because it incapacitated my main engine, wing engine, generator, and thrusters. Had I been maneuvering or trying to dock, I would have simply lost all control of the boat and drifted into whatever happened to be in the way.

For those interested, the newer gray-box SeaFire control unit has an internal power supply that powers all the control relays. The relays are always active to enable the engines and fans. This is an appropriate dead-man design. The problem is that the power supply is poorly designed, runs hot, and fails pretty reliably within a few years. Mine failed at about 4 years, and i know others who have had failures earlier.

This has been brought to SeaFire's attention and they have basically done nothing to address, so on our next boat I've switched to FireBoy who have a much better product anyway.

The gray box SeaFire comes in three configurations of 8, 6, and 4 relays. Anecdotally it seems that the 6 and 4 relay boxes are less prone to failure, and that makes sense considering that the power supply only has to power 4 or 6 relays rather than 8. But if you have an 8 relay box, your days are numbered.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:53 PM   #18

City: Port Moresby
Vessel Name: Encounter
Vessel Model: Halmatic
Pyrogen aerosol systems are used on many commercial boats and rescue organizations. It's considered to be more efficient than Halon.
Arun52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:58 PM   #19
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
This happened this morning. The fire apparently started in the engine room (the vessel was tied up at the dock and the engine was not running) and preliminary reports suggest the cause was electrical in nature. No idea yet what if any fire extinguisher system was in place.
The live aboard owner was on board with her dog but they both got off safely. One adjacent vessel suffered paint/glass blistering and cracked windows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27E9D0D1-3E0E-42A8-8886-0033B3FC0E2F.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	86187  
Conrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:27 PM   #20
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
A lot has to go just right with automatic or manual shutdown systems.

The better the trained crew, the less needs to be automatic.....especially with older boats retrofitted with less than perfect auto systems.

Also look up the actual recommended sizing, it is often way more than what many people calculate properly.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote