First Aid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For extended cruising as the OP asked, I would also say to talk to your doctor and see if there are any prescription meds he would recommend you carrying depending on your medical history. Some pain meds would be good to have if you can get them, along with other things that may be applicable. We were away once just for a weekend at anchor and my wife took a spill and cracked some ribs. Very painful till I could get her to a doctor the following day. Not an urgent emergency but still no local medical help immediately available.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) specifies different types of first aid kits for commercial vessels dependent on how far (in hours) you are from help. I found this a good place to start when looking at lists of items to include in my kit.

Here is an example of an F Scale kit that is specified for when a vessel is up to six hours from help.

https://firstaidkitsaustralia.com.au/first-aid-kits/marine-boating/F-Scale-Marine-First-Aid-Kit

Have a look at the link and it shows a lot of relevant information for what trauma types are covered, what items should be included in the kit, as well as the required medicines.

husband is an er doc and he makes our kit; he's always found kits lacking, but I suppose that's an occupational hazard. It really tends to be the same kit for backpacking, overlanding, even international travel with a few tweaks (more motion sickness meds for the boat for guests and a few other things I can't recall).

husband is an er doc and he makes our kit; he's always found kits lacking, but I suppose that's an occupational hazard. It really tends to be the same kit for backpacking, overlanding, even international travel with a few tweaks (more motion sickness meds for the boat for guests and a few other things I can't recall).

Now his list of items may interest many.

Another thing to consider with a first aide kits, does it have enough consumables to last until one gets to a place with medical care? For instance, are there enough bandages on board to handle a bad burn or cut? The amount needed if one is day sailing vs doing a passage is going to be different.

Later,
Dan

Anyone have an oxygen generator on board? I do see them advertised on TV.
I carry an AED on board and lots of the traditional first aid items.

Once a year or less often I open the first aid kit to replenish the ordinary band aids used.
I then look at all the stuff in there one by one and imagine what it could be used for.

Decades ago I had first aid training, so what, use it or lose it. I expect to be of use more so than someone that has never had training or ever seen the supplies some well equipped kits come with.

I slipped on the ice and crashed hard which set off the alarm on my watch. I was able to disarm it before it called out the cavalry, nothing broken, limped on home, sore for weeks. Next time I’ll wear my crampons like a responsible adult.

Falls are one of the leading causes of injuries aboard, I single hand a lot and am getting older which is why I bought the watch to begin with. Didn’t need it, this time. What ever it takes to facilitate your freedom and independence are worth it.

Blues, we reach a certain age we should consider wearing a bike helmet all the time, especially .on the boat. LOL
I added 6 additional hand rail …. The helmet is still an option. I walk with a can because of balance problems

Last edited:
Blues, we reach a certain age we should consider wearing a bike helmet all the time, especially .on the boat. LOL
I added 6 additional hand rail …. The helmet is still an option. I walk with a can because of balance problems
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Post a picture of the helmet or it did not happen. ;)

They can be found in any bike store. Go to the bike store and pick out the color you want.

I found this U.S. company that has an option to select individual first a kit supplies. Sometimes you may just want 6 or 12 of something and not a box of 50. Go to their "Build your own kit" function and you can pick through various categories of supplies.
https://www.mfasco.com/make-a-kit.html

Agree on the hand rails. We have added 7 hand rails to our current boat. Makes it much more safe for us.

Agree on the hand rails. We have added 7 hand rails to our current boat. Makes it much more safe for us.

I’ve had one or two folks laugh with they see the extra hand rails yet, I see them ‘naturally’ using them. That tells me, I put them in the right place. LOL

Last edited:
As a retired physician

(take that back.I quit!!!!)

Recently posted a question about moving to a trawler and members were very patient and helpful in their responses considering my question has being asked ad nauseam.

Here is may take on safety

I believe there is an important question,
where are we boating?

If Coastal/inland
If offshore

Will address only the Coastal/Inshore

By and large, we should be more likely within either cell phone or closest USCG.

Do not underestimate the USCG even in protected waters, years ago we have a serious fall, head trauma and bleeding, within 1/2 mile from home in the ICW, called the USCG, they were by my boat in minutes, and they coordinated transfer from their boat to the ambulance waiting ashore a few blocks from the local hospital, amazing.

Concentrate to call and secure help.

First aid to address the most likely events.

1)Broken bones
2)Lacerations
3)Sun burn
4)Burns secondary to cooking
5)Sea Sickness

================================

#1 Ideally try to immobilize the broken bone with a makeshift splinter using whatever stick and wrap it with some duct tape, the idea is to limit movement.

Need to seek immediate assistance, depending on the broken bone, pain can be severe with the risk of shock (either pain and or bleeding)

#2. Lacerations, the usual
stop the bleeding, depending on the extent (length and depth) of a simple band-aid to apply pressure, stop the bleeding.

NON STICK band-aids, most important, because I hurt myself frequently, learned the importance to make removal as less painful possible.
Do not forget to carry a gallon of Neosporing.

Remember to carry a bunch of self sticking bandages to keep the bandaids in place, (the brown kind)

Some lacerations will need stitching, most people do not have training, does include injecting anesthetic otherwise will need to read the old sailing tales, using a stick to bite and plenty of rum:dance:
And the use of stitching needles, well, not that easy.

Just purchased an Amazon
"8 Piece Disposable Skin Stapler Kit Suture Thread Alternative - 110 Wires, 2 Stapler Remover Tool + 4 Plastic Forceps for Outdoor Camping Emergency Survival Demo First Aid Field Emergency Vet Training" for $ 35.

Also bought in Walmart a few pouches of "stop bleeding aid) supposed to accelerate coagulation time, used in the military, cost very low, no harm to try.

#3 Make sure those blisters do not get infected.

#4 In my humble opinion the most dangerous place in the boat, when I have crew DO NOT let them cook, flying pans with boiling liquids and hot oil wow.

#5 obvious

===================================
Items I pay attention

Lots of hand grabbing places. I can walk and step down to reach any part of my boat, including the head,
hand over hand.

Safety blankets to put out fires while cooking

Replacing open flames cooking with electric appliances.

And the piece of resistance

Purchased a Helmet
I look ridiculous, BUT for $19 cheap insurance.
few weeks ago I fell at night (at home) going to the bathroom, big concussion, lots of bleeding, consequences to be determined in the future.
Poor balance, the reason.

Replaced all marine fire extinguishers (few seconds life)by Lowes bigger size.
=================================

The outlined is only for the most common areas we use.

For offshore and out of contact of a quick 911
defer to the well documented posts addressing that situation.

Trying to keep it simple and focussed on possible, more likely events.

The thought of defibrillators, injecting anti-anaphylactic medications or initiating an IV drip in the hands of non-trained hands scare me.

As a USCG guy, my advice is consider yourself in the wilderness the minute you pull away from the dock.

While 911 works in many areas, not the wilderness.

I have personally seen too many times where jurisdiction and confusion delay rescue by many minutes to hours as well as weather and equipment failures do the same.

Please assume 2 things... the first is.... if someone has a medical issue while underway....you/crew/good sams may be that person's only hope depending on the seriousness.

Second.... realize this and the possible outcomes. One can't expect rational or exacting behavior in crisis and blaming others including rescuers when things go terribly wrong.

I am not saying absolutely that "shi* happens".... just say'n that venture into the "wilderness" (anyplace a ambulance can't drive to in minutes) and your comfort/survival is now beyond a lot of control.

Too many people watch TV, see a couple amazing things and assume it is routine.

"

"As a USCG guy, my advice is consider yourself in the wilderness the minute you pull away from the dock."

I had a friend who refused every invite to go for a sail
His thinking was

When you leave the dock, you become part of the food chain.

He was firm in that belief.

cheers

Last edited:
A very good post, thank you. However I do want to point out that for much of the west coast of North America, expecially for Wa north into BC and Ak comms without satellite can be sketchy to nonexistent. Response times can be long especially in fog when aircraft cannot fly. Those cruising Mx and further south can find themselves even more isolated and unsupported. Other parts of the world as well.
Here is may take on safety

I believe there is an important question,

where are we boating?

If Coastal/inland

If offshore

Will address only the Coastal/Inshore

By and large, we should be more likely within either cell phone or closest USCG.

Do not underestimate the USCG even in protected waters, years ago we have a serious fall, head trauma and bleeding, within 1/2 mile from home in the ICW, called the USCG, they were by my boat in minutes, and they coordinated transfer from their boat to the ambulance waiting ashore a few blocks from the local hospital, amazing.

Concentrate to call and secure help.

Davil1, The talking defibs maybe almost fool proof if you put the pads or pad on the right place.
The difficulty is putting the pads on when you are single handed.

A very good post, thank you. However I do want to point out that for much of the west coast of North America, expecially for Wa north into BC and Ak comms without satellite can be sketchy to nonexistent. Response times can be long especially in fog when aircraft cannot fly. Those cruising Mx and further south can find themselves even more isolated and unsupported. Other parts of the world as well.
==========================
Absolutely

no need to be offshore, my traveling the ICW from Morehead City NC to Norfolk Va has many patches of no cell coverage.

I used to have IridiumGo, sold it as it was too awkward to use (for me)
Do have Garmin In Reach Explorer+ and added Zoleo recently.

Zoleo looks interesting,will see this season as I go NE.

My emphasis was actually to prompt some thinking and assess needs as we are prone sometimes to overkill, but again, people decide what is important and overkill is as good as any.

cheers

Davil1, The talking defibs maybe almost fool proof if you put the pads or pad on the right place.
The difficulty is putting the pads on when you are single handed.

============================
right

like I said, having somebody with no clinical training placing those pads on someone do scare me.

no questioning anybody carrying them.

As a side note, if you have an arrhythmia and want to shock yourself it could be a close call.

If you have a cardiac arrest, alone, no problem, you are out of the game.

cheers.

PS

when I posted, it was not with the intention to question anybody, as we make decisions based on our own judgment.

PS

On the sun thing

should have mentioned the" Must-have" using the best possible UV sunglasses' protection.

I cruised extensively late 90' and was careless, now have chronic corneal damage.

Also carry sun blockers for my skin in the order of 40 and up, melanomas are real

I have 2 pelican boxes. 1 small with typical home stuff. Bandaids, aspirin, anti-seasick pills of various types. ! med pelican with adv. first aid items. Stored deep in the v-berth. Staple kit, suture kits, anti-clot pads, gauze, tape, etc.

Davil1 posted First aid to address the most likely events.
1)Broken bones
2)Lacerations
3)Sun burn
5)Sea Sickness

That's what I attempted to address. Falls are very common, even with multiple handholds. And if you are coastal, figure 30 min before assistance arrives and that might be local harbormaster or USCG with first aid training.

I have 2 pelican boxes. 1 small with typical home stuff. Bandaids, aspirin, anti-seasick pills of various types. ! med pelican with adv. first aid items. Stored deep in the v-berth. Staple kit, suture kits, anti-clot pads, gauze, tape, etc.

Davil1 posted First aid to address the most likely events.
1)Broken bones
2)Lacerations
3)Sun burn
5)Sea Sickness

That's what I attempted to address. Falls are very common, even with multiple handholds. And if you are coastal, figure 30 min before assistance arrives and that might be local harbormaster or USCG with first aid training.

1. Compound fractures are scary
2. I have a pouch of ‘wound seal”. I know it works. I have some smaller tube of wound sealed. I have used it on my stupid mistakes. After applying, cover the wound and presto, clots the blood flow.
3. I have a pilot house trawler and a big floppy hat
4. No cooking underway
5. The person who says they have never been seasick has never been in an ocean storm.

This has been said in different ways, but when I have taught "First Aid & Safety Afloat" at various seminars, I have emphasized a few things: Training: get first aid training that matches your cruising-- day cruises can usually get by with basic first aid and maybe CPR; longer cruises where you are further from emergency care I suggest the 16 hour Wilderness Medicine courses and long distance cruisers may want to invest in one of the more comprehensive courses such as Wilderness First Responder or the ocean medicine courses. For first aid/medical kits, they also need to match your cruising, but regardless probably having multiple kits makes sense for most- we carry a "bandaid box" for the simple cuts and bumps; a trauma kit for severe bleeding (I don't want to be hunting for a tourniquet when someone is bleeding badly and a more complete medical kit. I also suggest a small first aid kit in your dinghy as well...for those times you step on a shell on the beach! But no matter what, carry what you know how to use correctly.

Back
Top Bottom