Old 07-16-2016, 05:39 PM   #21
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. u. "Similar to flares if you carry more than required ALL still have to be within the proper date." I think you can have outdated flares aboard but must have the proper compliment of current flares.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:41 PM   #22
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Same with liferafts up here.
Not required to have one, BUT if you put one on your boat
it MUST be in valid inspection date.
Can be a big $$$ fine if inspection out of date

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:42 PM   #23
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
do you have that in writing someplace?

from my experience, no you aren't reqired to do anything with supplemental equipment if the minimum required is on board. At least in the US.

fire extinguishers, flares, expired EPIRBS (as long as they are registered), liferafts....etc...etc.....

I would love the reference for future questions like this, but so far, have not seen the thou shalt not for recreational boaters.

usually many myths...here are some on fire extinguishers....

http://www.boatus.com/pressroom/rele...8#.V4q5pWf2brc
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:44 PM   #24
Ted
Guru

RTF
We are not supposed to have out-dated flares on board
I think there's a fine for that as well

Ted
Old 07-16-2016, 06:00 PM   #25
Guru

Leave it to bureaucrats to make those kind of rules.

When clearly the time limits may be reasonable for mandated flares, banning flares that are 30 seconds out of date and imposing a fine does nothing to educate the public on safe boating.

Fortunately in the US, I don't think there is an issue to carry outdated anything on a rec boat...inspected boats are different possibly.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:25 PM   #26
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
You may have a point with recreational boats. CFR 46-34.01.5 allows that if you carry fire extinguisher in access of the required minimum they too must be of the approved type. This may only apply to inspected vessel.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:25 PM   #27
Ted
Guru

I just checked with the Coast Guard
They said they don't do enforcement they do safety checks
Not sure what the difference is but....
The officer said that to the best of his knowledge as long as you have the
required equipment in date you can have whatever else you want, in or out of date.
Suppliers gave me a bum steer . Sorry

Ted
Old 07-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
You may have a point with recreational boats. CFR 46-34.01.5 allows that if you carry fire extinguisher in access of the required minimum they too must be of the approved type. This may only apply to inspected vessel.
Tank vessel legislation? OK.......not only does that not apply to rec vessels, it may not apply to anything but tankers....

But it is nice to peruse the CFRs every now and then to catch stuff you didn't know before.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:44 PM   #29
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
I just checked with the Coast Guard
They said they don't do enforcement they do safety checks
Not sure what the difference is but....
The officer said that to the best of his knowledge as long as you have the
required equipment in date you can have whatever else you want, in or out of date.
Suppliers gave me a bum steer . Sorry

Ted
That is not correct in the US.
USCG is law enforcement
USCG Auxiliary (and some other groups) does safety checks
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:06 PM   #30
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
I have two problems regarding fire extinguishers.

#1) the plastic strap that holds the unit to the bulkhead I cannot loosen without a pair of vise grips and a Serious tug. I solved that with a string and a bow (picture shoe laces)

#2) some of the larger units I cannot hold/pick up. That's why I have the medium size units. Aboard Seaweed I have five and each is checked on the first of the month.

If you're lucky enough to have a woman please make sure the ones you have are something your lady can handle. My hands are not large and I've not got a lot of strength so I compensated by having a few more than the minimum mandated.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:34 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post

#1) the plastic strap that holds the unit to the bulkhead I cannot loosen without a pair of vise grips and a Serious tug. I solved that with a string and a bow (picture shoe laces)

#2) some of the larger units I cannot hold/pick up. That's why I have the medium size units. Aboard Seaweed I have five and each is checked on the first of the month.

If you're lucky enough to have a woman please make sure the ones you have are something your lady can handle. My hands are not large and I've not got a lot of strength so I compensated by having a few more than the minimum mandated.
Janice, instead of a shoelace if you ever want to....I always grab life jackets that get tossed and cut the buckle straps off them...a million uses...

One is to secure my 5 lb Home Depot extinguisher , I just cut the buckle strap sort enough and drive a screw with a washer into the bulkhead behind the extinguisher to secure it...may get less of a look thn a shoelace in a bow by the boarding officers.
Attached Thumbnails
20160716_202637_001_resized.jpg  
Old 07-16-2016, 07:36 PM   #32
Guru

Perhaps your insurer is one that has read NFPA (National Fire Protection Assoc.) and requires some form of compliance with NFPA 10, which requires removal of extinguishers that do not meet the "standards" of inspection, etc..
Old 07-16-2016, 07:38 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post

Sorry to be the barer of bad news but I'll bet that extinguisher states its ONLY approved with the supplied bracket which also includes that strap. It will say so right on the label.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Old 07-16-2016, 07:43 PM   #34
Ted
Guru

High Wire,
I am north of the 49th here, things are different

Ted
Old 07-16-2016, 07:48 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
High Wire,
I am north of the 49th here, things are different

Ted
I see that so I amended my post.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Old 07-16-2016, 07:51 PM   #36
Guru

Right out of NFPA 10

The NFPA has no power, nor does it undertake, to police or enforce compliance with the contents of this document.
Nor does the NFPA list, certify, test or inspect products, designs, or installations for compliance with this document.
Any certification or other statement of compliance with the requirements of this document shall not be attributable to
the NFPA and is solely the responsibility of the certifier or maker of the statement.

Personally I think my insurer would be really happy that I have thought it through and have additional fire protection on board.

They give discounts to experienced, trained people for a reason.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #37
Guru

from BoatUS...

Myth #2: All extinguishers must be mounted with a bracket.
Reality: Mounting a fire extinguisher on a bracket keeps the unit in a handy place and may protect it from being banged around the boat, but it is not a legal requirement. You do, however, need to ensure the extinguisher is readily accessible, so leaving it at the bottom of locker or compartment is a big no-no.

Boat Fire Extinguishers: Four Myths From the BoatUS Foundation : BoatUS Press Room
Old 07-16-2016, 08:09 PM   #38
Guru

Correct neither the ISO or NFPA enforces anything, they simply address, make, and advise on items in the Insurance Industry. As I stated, perhaps the insurance company has adopted these standards within their operations. I do not think the Original Question had anything to do with enforcement procedures but rather on a surveyors comments and an insurers response to those items. There is certainly nothing wrong with carrying additional equipment on board. I am a firm believer in that, but why would anyone carry something of life saving and/or boat saving use and not know or be assured that it would work when necessary ? You are certainly able to do whatever you like on your boat though.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:29 PM   #39
Guru

This argument went on for years when I was in the Auxiliary. For years the Auxiliary required extinguishers to be mounted to count towards the decal. The fire extinguisher manufacturer says this:
Features
  • 2.5 lb. of fire extinguishing agent (Average)
  • 6 year limited warranty
  • UL approved strap retention bracket
  • Coast Guard (U.S.C.G) approved when fitted with supplied mounting bracket
  • Powder coated cylinder for corrosion protection
The Vessel Examiners would ask "How can you say it does not need to be mounted?" And the answer was "Legal requirements are one thing, political requirements are another." They "recommend" the extinguishers be mounted. Apparently possession was "good enough". No clue what the current interpretation is.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Old 07-16-2016, 11:57 PM   #40
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
Actually the section you refer to isn't even for all inspected or commercial, it's just for "Pressure vessels". Now there may be a similar section for other inspected. Regardless it's a dangerous practice to have fire extinguishers that aren't of the right type or currently known to be in good condition.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote