Old 11-09-2015, 08:50 PM   #81
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
I would say the best tool to have is the knowledge (and confidence) and practice to bleed fuel injectors while away from a dock. Changing fuel filters requires tools. But without knowing how to bleed an airbound engine make the filters superfluous.
+1!!

Otherwise, you better have good tow insurance and lots of time.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #82

Did anyone mention digital tachometer too ? That's very good, not expensive, and easy to use.
User915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:46 AM   #83
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by omc View Post
Did anyone mention digital tachometer too ? That's very good, not expensive, and easy to use.
That's a good idea, and while you're at it buy a small bottle of silver nail polish. The digital tach reads the reflective "special" sticker they include. When those stickers run out, silver polish does the same thing for a negligible amount.

I also have red and green nail polish in my stash. The red paint is for those stupid little arrows on bottles you're supposed to line up to open. Well, without glasses the dot (where they meet) is all the help I need.

Ditto on USB plugs. Top has a dot of silver polish, or red as the case may be. I have a code...

Tachometers are handy, and so too are infrared thermometers. They've come down in price too.

It's handy to know how hot various spots are on your engine. When you do your engine room check, shoot the motor. Suggested spots include injectors, alternator, fuel pump, manifold, risers, etc.

Things do not usually "suddenly" break. There's generally been a problem unseen that develops and then: BANG. If you know how warm your fuel pump is usually and now are seeing ten or twenty degrees hotter, well, that's something to troubleshoot before it breaks, eh?
Old 12-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #84

Helpful advices !

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
That's a good idea, and while you're at it buy a small bottle of silver nail polish. The digital tach reads the reflective "special" sticker they include. When those stickers run out, silver polish does the same thing for a negligible amount.

I also have red and green nail polish in my stash. The red paint is for those stupid little arrows on bottles you're supposed to line up to open. Well, without glasses the dot (where they meet) is all the help I need.

Ditto on USB plugs. Top has a dot of silver polish, or red as the case may be. I have a code...

Tachometers are handy, and so too are infrared thermometers. They've come down in price too.

It's handy to know how hot various spots are on your engine. When you do your engine room check, shoot the motor. Suggested spots include injectors, alternator, fuel pump, manifold, risers, etc.

Things do not usually "suddenly" break. There's generally been a problem unseen that develops and then: BANG. If you know how warm your fuel pump is usually and now are seeing ten or twenty degrees hotter, well, that's something to troubleshoot before it breaks, eh?
Thank you Janice for your helpful advices. A bottle of silver nails polish will be much more convenient than the silver stickers what are not that easy with digital tachometer ! I will get one right away.

Top it on USB plugs - and USB cables too - is very good idea what will change my life every time I'm using them.

2 months ago I bought a digital tachometer for USD 27, and digital thermometer for only USD 17 (EBay).

So, I do have as well a digital thermometer to check temp of water pipes, exhausts, STUFFING BOXES, batteries, pumps, staters, and.... the temperature of sea water before swimming :-).

Once again, thank you Janice. Your website and your posts are full of science.

Best regards,

Olivier
Old 12-12-2015, 04:22 PM   #85

Anti slip

I forgot to talk about anti slip for drawers, compartments, filing-cabinet, etc...

I'm using :

VARIERA Drawer mat - IKEA

And :

STOPP Anti-slip underlay - IKEA

Work perfectly, not expensive at all.