engines raw water pump emergency pumping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with the others Kieth, this is a great idea. I will be checking to see if this might be possible on my boat. I only have one macerator pump but it would be better than nothing. It would be a good use of a pump that otherwise I have only used a couple of times. Since my waste discharge needs to be secured by n my home waters, a Y valve secured in the position to drain the bilge would keep me legal as well as provide some additional dewatering capacity.

I am chek my blacwater emphty pump capasite 1100 litres hours abou 290 gal, It is good emergecy idea!

You need a valve in the emergency pick up hose and the seacock.
First you open the valve in the emergency hose and then close the seacock.

It can also be done with one T/2 way valve.

The 2 way valve goes after the sea cock/strainer. So in one position the pump is drawing water from the sea cock/strainer and in the other position it draws it from a hose leading to a strainer foot/tube low in the bilge.

Or of course if your strainer is down stream of the thru hull and not integrated into the thru hull, the 2way valve can go after the thru hull and before the strainer if there is room for it.

When a boat is sinking any extra dewatering you can achieve can buy you just the extra time needed to find and deal with the leak. Or in some cases the extra time needed run the boat aground.

You can poo, poo the use of your engine as an extra pump all you want. But I've never been on a boat taking on water where I thought I had to many pumps to choose from. ��

And if you have a large engine/s with big raw water pump/s, you might be amazed at how much water they can move.

Last edited:
Check out engine room pics for Cabo sportfishers. They all come with a very cleanly installed emergency valves plumbed to the raw water intakes with big strainers. Granted those are large diesels that would move a bunch of water at high rpm but anything would help in an emergency.

I found facta cummins qsb Sherwods raw Waters pumps how many gallons/min. I think it is wery good capacity for emergency stop sinking

About gal/min
600 rmp / 15gal
1000rmp / 30gal
1500rmp / 40gal
2000rmp / 55gal
2500rmp / 65gal
3000rmp / 70gal
Sory,figures Litres / min

Last edited:
North Baltic, do you know how big that pump is?

I have Sen Dure inline Y strainers on the intake hose to the raw water pumps.
I could remove the caps to use engines to pump out water. Not as easy as pulling a valve handle.
The strainer basket might fall out or stay in place without the cap. I suppose the basket could be modded to grip tighter the side with a wedge.

If you can start the engine, then you have 12vdc power to run bilge pumps.
I have lots of electric pumps, of course, they have to lift about 12 inches, so that reduces the output.
I have 2 separate sealed bilges. The 3700 pumps put out a lot of water.
My bilge pumps in the forward bilge
3700 Rule emergency pump
3700 Rule emergency pump
2000 Rule main pump
300 Rule shower pump

=9700 gph

Rear bilge
2000 Rule main pump
500 Rule pump on manual switch, needs a new auto switch as it failed.

=2500 gph

Likely a big 3 inch hole, boat still going down. Stuff it with foam.
Even small holes sink big boats.

Attachments

• 0904011209 (1).jpg
    0904011209 (1).jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom