Old 03-06-2017, 07:06 AM   #1
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Do you have a safety plan of your vessel?

I found a very interesting article that really started the idea, why not rethink things and make a diagram of their own boat in mind the potential risks.

For example, do you remember exactly how many thru hull you have and where they are situated or the crew knows these, etc ...

A Sailing Yacht´s Safety Concept |

Kippis!

North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:25 AM   #2
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
The best part in my brief skimming is that safe boating is about risk management...not just random safety initiatives aboard.

Unfortunately, to fully grasp risk management, you have to have a concept of how real emergencies start, grow and finish along with how they compound one another.

During WWII, the Navy was pretty good at damage control and firefighting....but they weren't nearly as good with the newer vessel size and construction and dewatering during firefighting. The enormous amounts of water pumped into the vessels caused lots of issues.

So even the "experts" sometimes don't see the big picture till after it al happens.

Little emergencies aboard quickly grow during darkness and foul weather. Every little task becomes much harder to accomplish.

So while reading about new gear and resolving emergencies, always try to superimpose other emergencies or difficulties on top to simulate reality.

Simple emergencies are often quickly handles by even the inexperienced.....compound even the simple and they can even get away from the old salts.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #3
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
That is a very good article. As Psneeld said - it's all about risk management. There is no single right answer. Every set of circumstances is different. Try to consider all potential problems.

Although I don't have a formal written safety plan on paper, I am constantly developing, assessing and updating my plan in my head.
One of these days, I will formalise it.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote