Custom-made boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul in Saudi

Veteran Member
Again, remember I am not a boat-owner and my experience is limited to weeklong rentals.

When I wander through yacht brokerage sites, I see the occasional 'custom' yacht. I suppose it might mean anything. It could be a guy built it in his backyard. (And it is possible some guy produced a masterpiece of design and craftsmanship.) It could be a well-established boat that was modified at the builder's yard.

In any case, I am leary of a listing for a custom boat. Should I be?

I presume a larger builder produces better designs that have been improved over a run of years. Further, they are using marine-grade materials. (Fasteners and fittings would seem to be a real worry.)

Of course, a smaller yard can buy excellent plans.

I suppose this is why we pay surveyors and take her out for a spin.

Am I mistaken?

I think "custom" is a losely defined term. I am thinking of boats by Duffy and Young Brothers for example. Well established builders who give a buy a choice of interior layout, finish lefel, power, etc. They can make a hull as a barebones workboat, or a top quality yacht. I would consider these custom yachts as very different from a backyard built boat.

Semi custom is the way I described my Fortier 26. 6 or 7 hundred of these hulls out there now all finished to the owners requirements. Extent of wood work. Built to fish or cruise. Hard top , soft top, wheel house are all up to the customer. Engine brand, hp, gear, props are all set up as to how the boat will be used. However the quality of build is always 1st class.

I found a YouTube. A guy was showing off the camper van he made. He was a craftsman and he was proud of his work. It was hundreds of excess pounds of plywood held together with who-knows-what. He did the gas and water himself too.

I can only imagine the stresses on that when he bumps down the road. Furniture is not meant to hold together under that sort of us. This got me thinking about boats. The sort of plumbing, wiring, and cabinetry that would make a fine kitchen is not tough enough for maritime use.

This is what prompted my question.

Again, thank you all.

Hi neighbor, welcome to the TF. I’d invite you over for coffee but you insist on sanctions and closing the border [emoji846]

I guess I would call my boat semi custom built or built to owner configuration (as opposed to standard configuration). Cherubini (the manufacturer) supposedly only built to order. While the hull and most of the superstructure molds were the same throughout a size, interiors were layed out differently. One could choose galley placement, number of staterooms and heads, and even the number of engines. To me, custom built implies designing from the keel up. It doesn't need to be a unique design, but should be more than rearranging a few rooms within an existing design.

Ted

Last edited:
Custom does have different meanings so you must ask questions. Who built it and if commercial are they still in business. Lots of builders have closed over the years so that may not always be possible but when building they built good quality and strong especially if the yard built for the commercial side.

Mine was a sort of custom. The builder built mostly fishing boats but started producing pleasure boats. The basic hull and cabin structure was the same but the finishing could be quite different.
Those differences included the engine, the trim levels from quite plain to relatively fancy ,sort of, and in my case a dry exhaust system rather than the more typical wet systems.

Electronics then were not the big deal they are now so in that area mine is quite plain although I have added but not updated to current levels nor do I intend to..

So mine would be a semi custom. Not a fancy semi custom but still a semi custom.

Back
Top Bottom