Close call - Shaft log split

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dimer2

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Baobab
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4788
Well, went out on a four boat raft up, had a great day upriver, swimming and enjoying good company. We left first and were tidying up the boat in our slip when the next boat came in listing badly. The captain yelled that he had hit a log and assumed a cracked hull and was sinking. We grabbed lines and had them in the water when he came in nose first and managed to get him secured with 3 lines below his stern/midships and around the large pole/roof supports. Got everybody off the boat and opened the engine roof cover. With the aid of a wet n dry vac, and his onboard bilges and eventually a 110 volt sump pump, got the better of the leak. Every inch gained allowed us to cinch the lines tighter and we finally got to where the water was level with the engine oil pans. It was then discovered that the rubber shaft log had a two inch slit in it. A rubber sleeve, lined with butyl tape and 4 hose clamps later and not even a drip. The shaft and prop are of course toast. I estimate 3 - 5 more minutes and he, his wife and 6 month old baby, mother and 2 friends, would have been swimming. It DOES happen that quick. We noticed several logs, both on the way there and again on the way back, which is perfectly normal on a river. This may or may not have anything to do with it....but he was the only one without a flying bridge and said he never saw a thing. I am NOT trying to start a debate on this, just stating a fact.

Kudos to you and your team of rescuers!:thumb::thumb:
Good that you folks were there, paying attention, and knew what to do.

As long as no one dies, the rest is just "stuff!"

OD

What an adventure! Well done! That "stuff" if you win is fun stuff.

You guys are pretty good and I mean it. To determine what the problem is, come up with a solution and do it! I bet the adrenalin kept the skipper up for a while.

Good work! Skipper is lucky to have you as a neighbor .neighbor

Last edited:
Good advice Brooksie!

I'd like to have you as a mooring neighbor.

Remind your dockmate that when he replaces his stuffing box hose/hoses, that they should ONLY be the proper 8 ply stuff from Buck Algonquin. Not exhaust hose which is quite often used in error.

Packing Box Hoses - Heavy Duty On Buck Algonquin

Packing Box Hoses - Heavy Duty - 12" Section On Buck Algonquin

The 12" pieces are meant to be cut in 4" to 6" pieces, not to extend the distance.

The shaft often is not well centered in the log, in which case it is better to use a long piece of hose to allow "self alignment" without tight spots between the shaft and packing.
Every application needs to be carefully assesed, and properly dealt with.
That said, shortest practical length is obviously best.

Wow, that is an adventure with a great outcome! Nice job

Nice save, Blue!! I wish I had slip neighbors like you and your friends!!

WTG!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom