Check list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While looking for my first boat I was onboard a commercial air pilot’s vessel. On the helm was two laminated lists. One for start up and shut down.
My question is has anyone seen a comprehensive list like that and where to get a copy?

Welcome aboard. Check lists are usually pretty specific to a boat. I would generate one based on what you need to accomplish your mission. When we used to travel hundreds of miles each way to the boat, I had a list at home to make sure I had everything I needed before I left home.

Those who have them have usually made their own. THere is a lot of variation between boats and the equipment aboard.

I made my own years ago but let it slide.

You should easily be able to come up with your own. It simply depends upon how complicated you want to make it.
# is number or quantity

Gear box neutral
Sea cocks closed [#]
Fuel valves off [#]
Batt. sw. off [#]
Nav lgts off
Shore pwr cord plugged in
Batt chrgr. on
Windows closed
All control panel sw. OFF
Electronics OFF ---VHF[#] include the handhelds
-- AIS
-- Sounder[#]
-- Radar
-- Sound system
Lights off - cabin
-deck
W.S. wipers off
Depressurize water system
Stove shut off

and so on and so on.

I did mine simply by listing what I turned on or off over a period of time. Then formalized the list. And yes years ago I used it. I did the same for the RV when we were RVing.

If I had such a list at the helm stations it would contain only one item - "Turn the d*&% Glendinning controls on."

The number of times I have been ready to go, on the FB, wife on the dock, and I look down to see no lights on the controls!

And I damaged the boat with doing this in the Abacos too.

First Damage! | AtAnchor.com

Sheesh!

Jerry,
I have a few checklists that I am willing to share (for what it's worth), just PM me with an email address and I will send. However, I don't know how useful they will be (other than to use as a beginning template), as they are (as others have stated) quite boat specific. :)
I also use a series of tags or labels that I place at the helm. They say things like: "thru hull closed", "start battery off", etc. Now, because we are "winterized" I have several additional ones like: thruster battery off, ER vents closed, fuel tanks closed, etc. I use similar tags if I ever have to leave the engine (due to maintenance not complete) in a condition where it is not "runnable". The tags save me from making bad mistakes :)
At a minimum, I check over my lists at the start of each boating season as a reminder. I have on several occasions been reminded of things I might otherwise have forgotten about.

Greetings,
Mr. J. Welcome aboard. I only have two reminders at the helm. Open sea cocks and turn off Naiad stabilizers when maneuvering. At my main electrical and sub panels I have placed pieces of red and green electrical tape adjacent to those switches that should be left on when leaving the boat for any length of time (green) and those that shouldn't ever be turned on (red). I have an old ferrite battery charger that is still wired in but never used BUT it may come in handy at some point.

When coming aboard, all green switches have been left on and I turn on the rest (unmarked).

No formal checklist. We have a set of things to do and do them. Things don't need to be made overly complicated. Even if you have a list, you'll only follow-up 'n' times before it just sits there being ignored and collecting dust.

Wifey B: We have them also laminated, just like on small planes. We require whoever is captaining, whether us or others, to check off the entire list. Doesn't matter if they've been captaining boats for 40+ years. Of course, they also understand and appreciate the value of lists. There are pilots who don't go through their check lists. I'm not knowingly flying with them. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

I am in the check list corner. I spent several hours last week laminating check lists. I have check lists for engine start up and shut down, same for genset. List for electrical panel information, upper and lower helm instructions, instructions for short term and long term trips away from the boat. Lists of thru hulls and locations, AC and heat instructions w/checklists. Since the boat is new to me, it will prevent me from making mistakes, and even when I am well acquainted with her, it will prevent me from making mistakes due to complacency. Anyone who is on the boat with or without me, will be able to operate anything on the boat with detailed check lists and instructions. My laminator is one of my favorite tools.

I have four checklists:

1. Things to do prior to leaving our slip,

2. The sequence of items to accomplish to leave the slip and the journey to our destination,

3. Shut down of systems when we arrive at our destination or home slip, and

4. Items to do and remove from the boat when we head to the dirt home.

In the Navy I lived by checklists. On steam ships, the checklist to get underway was four pages long and started about two days ahead. I made a couple of checklists for my trawler more as an exercise to get the sequence embedded in my cortex, but they were shelved after a year. My current boat seems to do fine without any checklists, but then I am on it daily and get underway pretty often. Its systems are every bit as complex as the trawler's were. I strive to have my boat set up to go with just the need to switch on navigation electronics and ignition breaker - fuel lineup is never changed except for a specific reason and only for the duration of a run and then reset to the "normal" positions at the end of the run. I suppose it might be different if I lived at a distance and seldom visited the boat. Checklists are good things - they can be mentally retained.

In all my experiences, there are written checklists and memorized checklists

Ultimately it's methodology and understanding of what needs to be done, when and how critical that is truly important.

Of course that takes a certain personality type, training and practice to be successful.

But ultimately wins over set checklists.

If there truly are critical items, a written checklists as a backup is hard to beat.

Check list are a good thing. I use them all the time, especially as I get a little older or when there are several people or distractions in the cockpit. Actually I have two check list - one for the first startup of the day and a shorter version for use later in the day.

I do agree they are likely boat specific. You probably should just document what you normally do - then sit down with a cup and edit as you see fit and include what you forgot.

PS - I'm also a Private Pilot - I never close the door or release the brakes until all the check lists are completed. 55 years and I've never scratched one or landed with the gear up - yet !! :)

We made one up for our specific boat (both getting underway and stopping for the day) and used it religiously. We were full time cruisers, and found the discipline essential. You'd be surprised what can change from day to day. Making assumptions is one of the more dangerous things you can do on a boat.

As time went on it got added to and edited.

Check lists also become even more useful if you're operating different boats or if different people are operating one boat.

I'm a checklist guy. Have one for the plane and the boat. Make my own that works for me.

Not too long, but hits the critical or killer items.

Also, use "flows" that are a number of specific items to get done, ofter followed by a smaller check list to cover my tail.

I could also argue to have a operations manual... goes into what you do and don't do. Limitations safety items, maintenance, etc. Don't have one for the boat yet......but thinking about it.

Might be relevant?
I watched an amphib beaver set down at Royston with wheels up on pavement.
I could not get out of the vehicle fast enough to wave him off

Ted,
Kinda like forgetting that last dock line. Takes so dang much power to get out to the channel - or taxi to the ramp.:eek:

Checklists are good with a new to you boat because thinking about it and writing it down helps solidify things to memory.

The three most important steps for getting away these days are to open the seacock to the cooling system, bump the boat into forward & reverse and turn the wheel lock, to lock, to lock before untying from the dock or pulling anchor.

Ted,
Kinda like forgetting that last dock line. Takes so dang much power to get out to the channel - or taxi to the ramp.:eek:

Great example of why checklists don't solve everything.

On an aircraft, wheels down is one thing, but lines off on a boat after an unusual tie up one night usually does nothing special to change habit patterns.

It's a double check and or evperience that the departure is abnormal that saves the day.

Great example of why checklists don't solve everything.

On an aircraft, wheels down is one thing, but lines off on a boat after an unusual tie up one night usually does nothing special to change habit patterns.

It's a double check and or evperience that the departure is abnormal that saves the day.

True,

Checklists won't always save the day. And some are so long and confusing that things are skipped. I could argue that the checklists are mainly for safety items and critical items... not necessarily embarrassing ones.

So we need procedures, of flows. Perhaps a procedure where we define what the last line will be (even it we move it to a special place), so we remove all lines except the last one, check traffic, departure and pull the last one off. And other similar procedures.

I've actually seen pilots that read the "landing gear down" on the checklist and the gear is not down. I then ask him, how much power do you think it will take to taxi to the ramp?

My P.O. was a bit anal retentive. Or maybe he was aware that his memory was very poor, and probably getting worse. He provided me a whole ring binder of checklists. Everything from start up to Shut down and everything in between. He covered toilet flushing, fueling, anchor use, bimini deployment, etc. I guess I glanced at them then stuck them somewhere.

Maybe the next owner will appreciate them, maybe he will be like me and just not care.

In so many cases, boating just doesn't allow for pulling out a checklist and going from "A" to "Z". You need to think on your feet.

pete

My background affords me a pretty good opportunity to separate aviation and boating, and part time boaters from cruisers.... the same for some commercial pilots from private flyers.

We did both types of checklists in USCG aviation....memorized checklists when the aircraft was often flown single piloted and written for the usually dual piloted aircraft.

Without challenge and reply...checklists are more reminders than actual checks/balances because a single personality determines their effectiveness...thus why a flow based memorized list with a desired level of practice and experience was a good mix (also a push for being only rated in one aircraft.)

Having a checklist for vessels totally new to a captain are very useful....but again without practicing with that checklist under supervision is no guarantee of no mishaps...I got to the point where I would not move larger more complex craft unless the owner was aboard to accept responsibility for ensuring "procedures" were done correctly.

Last edited:
I love checklist and my wife laughs at me, but I feel more comfortable knowing I haven't forgotten anything, especially at my age. There are many publications out there that you can start with, put it into a spread sheet and customize for your own boat. I used one from the National Marine Manufacturers Association a number of years ago but I couldn't find it today but apparently they now have a phone app with the checklists on it. Discover boating also has a checklist which is a good place to start. Like others have said, it needs to be personalized to your boat and your routines. Great winter project, here is Canada at least.:D

https://www.discoverboating.ca/owning/maintenance/startup.aspx

No list, nevertheless, for me desiring departure:

Check weather forecast and decide if boating plan needs to be canceled or modified.

Bring aboard and secure desired supplies.

Wash down boat if needed.

Hoist any desired flags.

Flip all switches at the electrical panel for desired systems. Check if systems are operating.

Check any notes left concerning thru-hulls or other matters of concern to be opened or addressed.

Check fuel levels of tanks. Assure adequate fuel supply, particularly the one currently connected. Same for water tanks.

Having previously noting any boat lean, switch fuel tanks when needed.

Disconnect and bring aboard shore electrical line.

Start engine. If no instant start, fuel-prime.

Once engine started, check adequacy of exhaust water flow and engine-gauge readings.

Disconnect and secure dock lines.

Change gears only at minimum RPM, orient boat with bow thruster or other means so exit from berth is "clean."

Check operation of air horn: three shorts backing from berth and/or one prolonged exiting marina.

Bring aboard fenders after leaving berth.

No list, nevertheless, for me desiring departure:

Check weather forecast and decide if boating plan needs to be canceled or modified.

Bring aboard and secure desired supplies.

Wash down boat if needed.

Hoist any desired flags.

Flip all switches at the electrical panel for desired systems. Check if systems are operating.

Check any notes left concerning thru-hulls or other matters of concern to be opened or addressed.

Check fuel levels of tanks. Assure adequate fuel supply, particularly the one currently connected. Same for water tanks.

Having previously noting any boat lean, switch fuel tanks when needed.

Disconnect and bring aboard shore electrical line.

Start engine. If no instant start, fuel-prime.

Once engine started, check adequacy of exhaust water flow and engine-gauge readings.

Disconnect and secure dock lines.

Change gears only at minimum RPM, orient boat with bow thruster or other means so exit from berth is "clean."

Check operation of air horn: three shorts backing from berth and/or one prolonged exiting marina.

Bring aboard fenders after leaving berth.

Sounds like a checklist to me......

Checklist

Not a checklist, but I have this hanging under the electrical panel as a visual reminder of what's open-closed and on-off. It's magnetic.

Attachments

• list.jpg
    list.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 47
I'm a checklist guy but you still have to have your thinking cap on. For example getting underway from a transient marina that has cable TV provided. As you start to back out you see this thin black cable out of the corner of your eye. :facepalm: Duh!

You don't want the CL to be multiple pages long either or you won't use it.

I'm a checklist guy but you still have to have your thinking cap on. For example getting underway from a transient marina that has cable TV provided. As you start to back out you see this thin black cable out of the corner of your eye. :facepalm: Duh!

You don't want the CL to be multiple pages long either or you won't use it.

Wifey B: Ours is computerized and accessible by tablet which makes it easy to go through and check off. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom