Chart Updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Right rudder

Veteran Member
Late one evening I read an interesting article of how the government might utilize private boat owners to aid in updating navigation charts.

The jest of the article inferred that the electronic information gathered by modern boaters through GPS, Chart Plotters and Depth Sounders could provide a real time wealth of information in updating electronic charts.

Your Sim card would contain the entire days info; If you skimmed over an uncharted shoaling, the information for that would contain GPS position and from time tide information would be determined to ascertain actual mean depth of the hazard etc. etc..

Reports would automatically be made when your equipment sensed a Wi-Fi signal.

My problem is that I want reread that or a similar article....yes, I failed to bookmark it.

Might someone have a ULR they might share?

I think this is a great idea....if I can retain possession of the On-Off switch.

Frank

I'm not sure where you read this but it makes sense. It is a natural transition into crowd sourcing. It will require tremendous computer power on the receiving end but is probably doable.
And my bet is no, you won't be able to turn it off, it will be a deal struck between the hardware mfg. and the government agency.

Late one evening I read an interesting article of how the government might utilize private boat owners to aid in updating navigation charts.

The jest of the article inferred that the electronic information gathered by modern boaters through GPS, Chart Plotters and Depth Sounders could provide a real time wealth of information in updating electronic charts.

Your Sim card would contain the entire days info; If you skimmed over an uncharted shoaling, the information for that would contain GPS position and from time tide information would be determined to ascertain actual mean depth of the hazard etc. etc..

Reports would automatically be made when your equipment sensed a Wi-Fi signal.

My problem is that I want reread that or a similar article....yes, I failed to bookmark it.

Might someone have a ULR they might share?

Is this what you are referring to:

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Shouldn't our community sourced marine data be open to all developers?

It's really just a natural extension of what boaters are already doing. They get the vast majority of their initial information on new shoals or other navigation issues, on shifting channels, from boaters. Boaters notify them that aids to navigation are moved out of position.

There are many complexities that would have to be worked out and the security of the data is the one that jumps out to me most.

Commercial fishing groups using Nobletech Catch have their recorded information collated and then shared with the group. I have seen this and it is greater detail then the Government charts.

Back
Top Bottom