Old 07-03-2016, 04:52 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
In the US there are regularly released notices to mariners and quite a few of them. New areas are shoaling in the ICW all the time. That's why many who use the ICW also look at cruisersnet.net and Waterwayguide.com. I don't know if there are similar notices in Canada or similar private sites reporting problems.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:07 PM   #22
Guru

City: Sidney
First, Keith, I don't question you or your navigational skills. At all!

I'm just really baffled by this one.
So many places on the coast I could understand but, how does that sucker, if accurately depicted by Keith, get a pass all these years?

Surely your readings can't be out by +/- 100 feet.

Even if it is a case of local knowledge, it should have been noted and corrections made long ago. I wonder why other sailboats had not "discovered" it. Unless this was the first 45' sailboat to venture into a "dinghy" passage. Still, it should be on the chart.

Interestingly enough, even though the Marine Atlas Volume 1 is strictly a reference guide, it shows an extending shoal different from CHS 3475.
Page 24 pictured.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160703_134117.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	53788  

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #23
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
In the US there are regularly released notices to mariners and quite a few of them. New areas are shoaling in the ICW all the time. That's why many who use the ICW also look at cruisersnet.net and Waterwayguide.com. I don't know if there are similar notices in Canada or similar private sites reporting problems.
https://www.notmar.gc.ca/publication...t-06-16-en.php
Old 07-03-2016, 05:22 PM   #24
Guru

Murray, thanks for saving me from myself.
I typed and deleted a reply that, while not meant to be sarcastic, would probably have been taken as such.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:35 PM   #25
Guru

Koliver...you said you used an Evergreen Atlas which used CHS chart 3310.

I checked the CHS site and chart 3310 has been replaced by chart 3313. Maybe the reef in question is on the current chart?

http://www.charts.gc.ca/charts-carte.../index-eng.asp

Also, could this be a classic case where the fellow who went aground didn't "zoom in" on his electronic chart, and if he had zoomed in it would have shown more bottom detail?

Still trying to understand...
Old 07-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Koliver...you said you used an Evergreen Atlas which used CHS chart 3310.

I checked the CHS site and chart 3310 has been replaced by chart 3313. Maybe the reef in question is on the current chart.
Still trying to understand...
Nope 3313 doesn't show it either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KOliver.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	53802  
Old 07-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #27
Guru

Weird...

So the lesson is, when in skinny water close to shore keep an eye on your depth sounder and watch the waters surface for indications of uncharted rocks in ones path.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:42 PM   #28

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Ka_sea_ta
Vessel Model: 48 Defever
Besides what I consider lack of situational awareness by the skipper meaning monitoring the sounder as well the chart plotter... I have noticed that some detail is missing from digital charts especially further north... For most purposes this lack of detail is not an issue... However fishing in tight to shore or going through narrow passages into anchorages it can cause a problem... My previous boat had a Westmar searchlight sonar we always used it when ever we in unfamiliar water... It was amazing the lack of detail of some charts... I suspect that when charts are digitized the algorithm tries to smooth some of the drastic bottom elevation changes that in these waters
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:31 PM   #29
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Keep watch on the depth finder. My builder recommended a fish-finder display (followed) since I boat in shallow waters.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #30
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Happens all the time..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Sa...cisco_(SSN-711)

Sort of amazing that an underwater seamount can not be charted. BUT the ocean is a VERY large place, and not all water is accurately surveyed (as much as we would think it was ((Or should be))).
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver;
The tide at the time was not low, this was only a short time after high tide, and when I went out later I could see the part of the reef that sailor had been on, now 4 ft out of the water.
Should have picked up on this earlier and asked; when you saw it dry was there still water between it and the Gabriola shore?
Old 07-04-2016, 12:21 AM   #32
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Hawg:

Your Marine Atlas shot in post #21 shows the reef almost the way it is. at relatively high water the reef still sticks out of the water well out from the charted green area, with some water between it and the shore.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:07 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Your Marine Atlas shot in post #21 shows the reef almost the way it is. at relatively high water the reef still sticks out of the water well out from the charted green area, with some water between it and the shore.
Crazy, but not entirely unexpected, I guess. Interesting an amateur not for navigation chart seemingly depicts better.

Just shows to go ya, take nothing for granted and use all the tools.

Wolferstan's 40 year old Volume 1 Gulf Islands shows the area between Rogers and Drumbeg strewn with rocks.

Everything I look at tells me that sailor ought not to have been in there and in all likelihood cut 'er pretty fine on the Gabriola side.

You ever see him again, thank him for all of us.

Now;
"We each took a halyard from his masthead and quickly had him heeled to 45 deg and he was able to power off safely."

I've only done that once, to get a small sailboat out of the mud at Port Moody. Got the people all sitting on the low side, pulled it over and it popped out like a bar of soap.

Always wondered how much the mast could take in those situations.