Old 03-09-2015, 01:41 PM   #41

City: Panama City
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot Rum Runner Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
There is even an aviation section that supports off shore patrols.
My father did that for a while. He and a buddy would fly around the Chesapeake Bay looking for polluters and such. I don't think the motivation was to "help" as much as an excuse to just go flying and (I think) have some of his flying expenses paid.

MrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #42
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
My father did that for a while. He and a buddy would fly around the Chesapeake Bay looking for polluters and such. I don't think the motivation was to "help" as much as an excuse to just go flying and (I think) have some of his flying expenses paid.

Hey, still got the job done, right?

Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:57 PM   #43
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntervaleII View Post
Attachment 38018
...Hand on the trigger of the gun. Safe to say I stayed clear!
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Capt. Don
If that's the case, then that in and of itself is a terrifying thought on several levels...
Old 03-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #44
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
...Lastly, Thank you OFF DUTY for trying to set the picture straight.
Welcome. Thanks for your service to the boating community.
(even if it is unappreciated by some)
Old 03-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #45
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
This is generally true, although there are qualifications. For example, if an air station is called to send a helicopter because a Coast Guard boat can't reach the scene in a timely manner, and severe icing exists that is beyond the approved capability of the aircraft, the air station senior duty officer will not allow the crew to launch. Suicide missions are not part of the "code". Of course a fixed wing aircraft with icing protection might be sent, or a boat...but they're often hours from the incident. That said, helicopter crews often encounter unforecast and "challenging" meteorological conditions en route and keep going once launched. The same logic is applied in the boating community...some sort of asset will be dispatched, but what it is and from where, does have some logic and safety assessment associated with the decision to launch.

This management level oversight is what is often missing in the civilian helicopter "Life Flight" type rescue operations and is largely responsible for pointless accidents that kill the patient (and crew) while in the process of saving him/her.
True in some situations, but every H-60 I worked on had an active blade de-ice system....
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:06 PM   #46
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
There's definitely misconceptions on all sides....as I said..depends where you are and when you observe Aux activities.

Overall a USCG asset...but all the way back to the original post....I think the takeaway from the article is less than accurate ...even though all those authorities and ties appear on paper.

Having been the active duty operations officer with oversight of quite a few flotillas ...and reviewing all the accolades and condemnations of those flotillas...and my personal experience with others around the nation...I will just say they can be a great asset when all goes well.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:15 PM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
There's definitely misconceptions on all sides....as I said..depends where you are and when you observe Aux activities.

Overall a USCG asset...but all the way back to the original post....I think the takeaway from the article is less than accurate ...even though all those authorities and ties appear on paper.

Having been the active duty operations officer with oversight of quite a few flotillas ...and reviewing all the accolades and condemnations of those flotillas...and my personal experience with others around the nation...I will just say they can be a great asset when all goes well.
Amen and well said!
Old 03-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
True in some situations, but every H-60 I worked on had an active blade de-ice system....
The H-60 system provides a limited icing envelope. That envelope is one of the considerations in whether a crew is launched on a mission.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #49
Guru

Neither of the helos I flew had anti/deicing...but almost impossible to fly one in the Northeast or Alaskan Maritime during the winter and not regularly pick up icing.

Ya just had to be really careful and either be experienced or pray a lot.

BUT absolutely correct that the old days motto of "you have to go out, but you don't have to come back" pretty much died out in the 90's.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:35 PM   #50
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
One thing that hasn't been said is that the AUX has radios and probably a cell phone, and if it's bad enough or a danger to life and property, they are going to call it in. I know I have in the case of high speed drivers and in the case of an unsafe activity on the water that was a threat to me or someone else I would. They do not have the authority but they know how to get hold of someone who does.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #51
Guru

Your Auxiliary sounds a good service. We have "Marine Rescue" here, it has some Govt. support, including financial ( really comes from us via an MR loading fee on registrations etc). They seem good guys, never called on them myself, I did hear from a friend whose sailboat they rescued at night offshore in bad conditions they were a little heavy seeking donations. Not that my friend would have been ungenerous, these MR guys are volunteers and deserve our support, like your Auxiliary.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:33 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Your Auxiliary sounds a good service. We have "Marine Rescue" here, it has some Govt. support, including financial ( really comes from us via an MR loading fee on registrations etc). They seem good guys, never called on them myself, I did hear from a friend whose sailboat they rescued at night offshore in bad conditions they were a little heavy seeking donations. Not that my friend would have been ungenerous, these MR guys are volunteers and deserve our support, like your Auxiliary.
I think volunteer rescue services i many countries are very different than the USCG Auxiliary....again not that they are bad....they are not really a rescue service as many know.

They do assist on rescue cases...but rarely to the extent seen elsewhere....when I was operational...they were never first call on anything but non emergency situations.

Not that many aren't good or brave enough...just not the protocol.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:32 PM   #53
Guru

Definitely not 1st call, but I can remember many occasions in the 7th, where they were already in the area doing what they do, when the SAR call came in.

Usually beat us to the bodies by 1/2 hr or so, and pulled many a soul out of the drink

I guess we could this thing to death, but like psneeld said, it depends on what, when, and where you were around them.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:37 PM   #54

City: Anacortes
My experience was strongly negative and a very near miss as two vessels recklessly surrounded my divers on a marked dive site and refused to answer repeated radio calls, even though I could hear my own voice over the water on their own radios. I will never support them again. Ever. The fact is, they insert themselves into situations they are not trained for. Not all of them, or even many of them, but there are not enough necessary controls in place to prevent them doing harm. If we need coast guard, let's invest in trained individuals, that's what I would be for. Never auxiliary without tight controls and training. The current program, and district 13 in particular needs to go away.

People have often told me, oh that was probably such and such and they retired, blah blah blah. The point is that there is nothing in the program other than luck and good intentions to avoid blowhards or dangerous elderly folk who get flustered and do something dangerous. The cga is simply not managed well enough and good intentions, volunteerism, etc. is no excuse. We should not allow poorly trained folks or those who can no longer meet qualifications to feel they are qualified for things they clearly are not. Those who would volunteer are likely already out on the water, so in reality they are not adding anything that would not already be present anyway if we abolish the cga.

Anyhow that's my opinion. I dont feel I should look past close calls that are programmatic in nature to the program itself. It's only a matter of time before circumstances will repeat.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:49 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
My experience was strongly negative and a very near miss as two vessels recklessly surrounded my divers on a marked dive site and refused to answer repeated radio calls, even though I could hear my own voice over the water on their own radios. I will never support them again. Ever. The fact is, they insert themselves into situations they are not trained for. Not all of them, or even many of them, but there are not enough necessary controls in place to prevent them doing harm. If we need coast guard, let's invest in trained individuals, that's what I would be for. Never auxiliary without tight controls and training. The current program, and district 13 in particular needs to go away.

People have often told me, oh that was probably such and such and they retired, blah blah blah. The point is that there is nothing in the program other than luck and good intentions to avoid blowhards or dangerous elderly folk who get flustered and do something dangerous. The cga is simply not managed well enough and good intentions, volunteerism, etc. is no excuse. We should not allow poorly trained folks or those who can no longer meet qualifications to feel they are qualified for things they clearly are not. Those who would volunteer are likely already out on the water, so in reality they are not adding anything that would not already be present anyway if we abolish the cga.

Anyhow that's my opinion. I dont feel I should look past close calls that are programmatic in nature to the program itself. It's only a matter of time before circumstances will repeat.
I personally investigated many a USCGAUX incident and removed the coxswain credentials from one individual in my tenure...while the system is less than perfect...it is what it is and not overall as bad as your posted experience..
Old 03-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #56
Guru

Well I will be meeting the USCG Aux this weekend at the Multnomah Yacht Club St. Patty's day weekend to get my 2015 sticker. So I am busy inspecting everything and making sure I am in compliance.......
Old 03-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #57
FF
Guru

.I will just say they can be a great asset when all goes well.

Sorta what George Washington said about FIRE in his departure speech.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #58
Guru

I did get my inspection this weekend and passed, so they do provide a good service.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #59
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntervaleII View Post
Attachment 38018
Here is one who is making sure I don't get to close to the Navy submarine in the ICW.
Hand on the trigger of the gun. Safe to say I stayed clear!

I can't tell from the resolution of that pic, but I can note that hand on firearm isn't the same as finger on trigger.

-Chris
Old 03-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #60
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
If we need coast guard, let's invest in trained individuals, that's what I would be for.

Realistically, difficult to see enough plus-up in the CG budget to replace what CGAux does...

(Or hardly any plus-up for CG's existing mission, for that matter...)

-Chris