Anyone using an electric scooter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have had bad experiences with Chinese batteries not sourced with a reputable brand product. So an off brand scooter with a battery would not be my plan.

I would have a concern about the application in a marine environment. Storing the thing on the upper deck where it is subject to salt air and spray may not be very good for them, especially if they are already prone to fires. Just my .02.

I would have a concern about the application in a marine environment. Storing the thing on the upper deck where it is subject to salt air and spray may not be very good for them, especially if they are already prone to fires. Just my .02.

Take the battery off during storage. I keep my battery in the pilot house.

If you are really paranoid, charge and store in the BBQ hanging off the transom.

I am thinking of getting one of these:https://lunacycle.com/one-mile-scooter/

35 lbs and 20mi range

I'd stick with a bicycle, thank you, but I do appreciate the technology of the battery-powered skateboards, scooters and bikes. I might prefer this one I think...

2091_source_1540600360.jpg

She folds right up:

LUNA_FOLDING_BIKE-17__80133.1483738787.jpg

I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/GOTRAX-GXL-Commuting-Electric-Scooter/dp/B07F1GNDRL

Easy to store, easy to transport by dinghy, fun, quick (unless going up a steep hill, where you might have to kick a bit). Because it folds quickly and easily and can be carried, I can ride one way and Uber/bus/whatever back the other way if the weather changes or I pick up lots of groceries or whatever.

I often ride it between the boat in Ballard and downtown Seattle (along the bike trails)...it's more fun and much easier to use than the Dahon Mariner folding bike I had before.

Is your GOTRAX scooter still holding up? Need something here at Green Turtle. All the golf karts seem to always be all rented out. Roads here are pretty much smooth concrete. Would like to have a Rad Mini fat tire bike but tow of them would be too much to store on my smallish boat.

I could easily store two of these GOTRAX scoters.

Witness Torqeedo's recent issue with potential problems with moisture intrusion in their battery units. With random off-brands... who's going to be there to support replacing the units if/when there's problems or they fail?

My Jupiter bike lasted 8 months. I now have a Ford electric bike.
Best,
Maldwin

placed an order recently on the Dualtron EX II. I was riding an EUC for a while and until my city fixes its roads, I'll use the Dualtron. For me, its not about the sensation of riding, but the safety of my person while crossing the street. I know for sure that I could just as easily ride at a lower speed with my old Tesla. But what I am not going to do is ride at full speed down a street that hasn't been maintained in over a decade and has more cracks than Deadpool's face. I am getting mine for safety and I'll use an EUC when they come out with a proper high end Z10 maybe in a few years.

One thing I noticed, no removable battery.
I would think ti would be move thief-proof if the battery could be detachable and a plus of rechargeable in a dry area. Plus one can carry a spare battery for those long trips.
I do hope there is a key for added security

Last edited:
I bought a Gotrax from Amazon and was going to try to use it on the boat, but the damn thing didn’t last 4 months. Battery went bad, or maybe the control panel, and I have not wanted to throw more money at it.

I went with something similar to this folding bike. It was built in China for a company in the Netherlands, where they know bicycles. My tires are slightly larger, and the electronics are well thought out. Lights come on automatically at dusk and turn off if the bike is stationary for a few minutes. Kevlar belted off road tires with reflective white walls. Saddle bags keep things low and stable.

My reason for a bike is to get groceries, do laundry, etc., in addition to sight seeing. The beauty of an E bike is that I can use the motor only to start up (or on hills) and then peddle. That takes all the "work" out of biking. It supposedly has a 40 mile range. Battery life isn't the issue. Even with my front shocks and the comfortable seat being on a single shock absorber, my butt couldn't last 40 miles. It's good for at least 10 shore days before I need to think about 110V to recharge.

Using a scooter to bring three bags of groceries back to the boat is a non-starter.

My wife and I have been looking at ebikes for the exact same reason. Is there such a thing as a folding ebike? If not we'll have to fabricate something to hold our bikes off the stern.

My wife and I have been looking at ebikes for the exact same reason. Is there such a thing as a folding ebike? If not we'll have to fabricate something to hold our bikes off the stern.

You betcha. Here’s a primer https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a25102796/best-folding-e-bikes/

An acquaintance has a Rad and he has nothing but good things to say about it. He folds it up and totes it around in the rear seat of his Cessna 180. I guess their rep is not universally good tho, and I would probably go with one of the known folding bike manufacturers like Brompton - I had one (non-electric obviously) twenty years ago when I was throwing it in the back of my own plane at the time -I loved that thing.

Last edited:
You betcha. Here’s a primer https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a25102796/best-folding-e-bikes/

An acquaintance has a Rad and he has nothing but good things to say about it. He folds it up and totes it around in the rear seat of his Cessna 180. I guess their rep is not universally good tho, and I would probably go with one of the known folding bike manufacturers like Brompton - I had one (non-electric obviously) twenty years ago when I was throwing it in the back of my own plane at the time -I loved that thing.
Cool. Thanks!

I’m too lame for bikes, and battery power is too limiting, so…

Attachments

• 07D21AED-83AD-4FFF-8887-B6AF117D46D1.jpeg
    07D21AED-83AD-4FFF-8887-B6AF117D46D1.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 22
Scooter Success!

My husband and I bought 2 Jupiter bikes. He immediately fell off because he has loss his balance.

So we went to 2 Travel Scoot scooters and have been set free! Here is the link: www.travelscootusa.com/. They load easily on the boat or in the car.

My electric folding bike allowed me to sight see around Friendly Cove, Tahsis, Esperanza, and Zeballos when cruising in Nootka Sound. None of these "towns" have any pavement to speak of. Traveling 5 or 6 miles out logging roads was not a problem. If your intended shore leave areas have any gravel (i.e., north of Seattle :)), you don't want to be on a scooter.

Hi,

We purchased a pair of RAD Mini 4 eBikes last year and love them. They are foldable so for boating we had waterproof bags custom made for them. We'll store them on the upper deck of our American Tug 34. Though none of these ebikes are salt water approved, we'll keep a spray can of CRC handy as we did when we boated with a 2 stroke scooter. BTW the ebikes are a lot nicer than the scooter - clean, lighter, smaller, usable on bike trails, safer overall. Just like a bicycle with power assist.

Last summer we rented a pair of eBikes in Port Townsend and had a blast. This year we're looking forward to dropping our own ebikes in marinas throughout the PNW.

[/attach]

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    8.8 KB · Views: 40
I've got an electric tandem bike that has worked GREAT with the boat. Downside, it's big and heavy (80#). But with my crane lift easy to handle and can easily remove the seats and battery.

On my previous boat, had no problem hauling it up to the flybridge for storage.

Have a bunch of storage bags for shopping which are great. At times, both of us will head to the grocery, I'll take a first load back to the boat while the Admiral shops... then pick her up with the rest of the stuff.

We can haul a LOT of groceries, including three cases of beer (could do more).

And, for touring, it's GREAT. Don't often need the electric, but up hill it really helps. Will run ~40 miles on the battery with speeds over 25 mph (too fast).

Really like a full sized bike.

Now, if the Admiral would ride solo, would have separate bikes, still electric and full size.

Attachments

• Tandem-ElectricW.jpg
    Tandem-ElectricW.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom