Old 01-22-2016, 09:24 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Aw...anchor threads are like the full moon....

They need to come regularly to bring out the "best" of some members...
I suspect that we end up with more and more threads on subjects like anchors, rode, bow and stern thruster, singles vs twins, etc. because it's far easier for people, particularly newcomers to the forum, to simply ask the question anew rather than wade through the archives and reading "old" stuff.

This is a world of instantaneous communications gratification, right? I bet most people view searching through the archives as being akin to having to schlepp down to the library to research a term paper. And nobody wants to do that again after they've graduated.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:46 PM   #22
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Aw...anchor threads are like the full moon....

They need to come regularly to bring out the "best" of some members...

Was that to bring out the "beast" or did you really mean best??

eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:59 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
There are no new subjects. Or very few. The life of a forum is discussing the same things over and over. People look for new material to read. They get involved based on today.

Now, a search still can have benefit, but it doesn't get answers tailored to the specific poster. Plus on a subject like anchors, you get hundreds of threads and wading through them for useful information. I do use the search function here and the google search, but with either one you have to wade through lots to get a little and then that little you get may well be outdated.

Also, a key element of a forum is interactive participation. You can't do that with people who posted years ago and aren't even here now.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:55 PM   #24
Guru

City: Doha
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Now, a search still can have benefit, but it doesn't get answers tailored to the specific poster. Plus on a subject like anchors, you get hundreds of threads and wading through them for useful information. I do use the search function here and the google search, but with either one you have to wade through lots to get a little and then that little you get may well be outdated.
I have found the same to be true, and I'd like to suggest to the web operators of this forum to reprogram your search engine.

Try searching for something specific and the list of threads is endless with no way of filtering them. Personally I find the problem so bad that I no longer use the Search feature on this forum. I go to Google and type "trawlerforum <SEARCH WORDS>" and it brings up extremely specific results.

I honestly know little about web design, but the above is an ongoing problem that I have found as a web user.
makobuilders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:04 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Oakdale NY
Vessel Name: Into The Blue
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
if I recall correctly the anchor comes up through the pulpit rather than hanging off the end on your boat. You will probably have a problem getting a roll bar anchor to fit well. If that's the case consider the Vulcan or Spade as an upgrade from your Delta. You can get a pattern from the Rocna website that will allow you to cut out a full size anchor profile from cardboard and try the fit before you buy.
I've had several Rocna's exchanged for Vulcans after the buyer found the roll bar gets in the way when they mount it on the boat.

I'm switching to a Vulcan from a Delta on my boat.
Thanks, this is my actual concern. My thought is that perhaps the length of the anchor will fit with the roll bar past the pulpit. I have do some measuring and print out the template that both Mantus and Rocna offer online. I'll check out the Vulcan.
IntoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:28 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I have a Mainship Pilot 34 which has a similar bow pulpit to your Pilot 43 and a roll bar like the standard Rocna has won't work.

But Rocna makes their Vulcan, Manson makes their Boss and Spade makes their Spade, all of which don't have roll bars and should tuck up nicely in your bow pulpit.

I would go with at least a 50 lb anchor.

David
David,

My last boat was the Mainship Pilot 34 Rumrunner, which had the bow anchor plate. In my opinion, the Pilot 34 was Mainship's best. I have taken the 34 in just about every condition the northeast seas from LI to Nantucket can provide. Handled them all. (We were just up in Essex on the 43, travel there often).

I tend to agree about the pulpit problem. Reading in this thread suggestions to take a look at the Vulcan or Spade. Unfortunate, as in reviewing the roll bar, the concept is great for a reliable set. Mainship provided 35 lb Deltas on both my 390 Trawler and Pilot 43 and it simply did not hold. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:26 AM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I suspect that we end up with more and more threads on subjects like anchors, rode, bow and stern thruster, singles vs twins, etc. because it's far easier for people, particularly newcomers to the forum, to simply ask the question anew rather than wade through the archives and reading "old" stuff.

This is a world of instantaneous communications gratification, right? I bet most people view searching through the archives as being akin to having to schlepp down to the library to research a term paper. And nobody wants to do that again after they've graduated.
On the other hand, if everyone just searched the archives instead of posting, this forum would soon be dead.

There are new members and new products as time goes on. While it's true that much of this has been covered before, telling a new member to "just search the old posts" can come off as pretty rude if not phrased correctly.

Also, we may give a different answer today than we might have a few years ago based on new experiences.

I won't say what kind of anchor I use because I don't want to hear all the flack.

BTW: If you are concerned about an anchor fitting your boat, buy it at West Marine. If it doesn't fit, they will allow you to return it and refund your money.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:49 PM   #28
Guru

[problem.

My boat weighs 35,000 dry and is 45' in length. Any suggestion and/or comment is appreciated. Thanks, Dave H[/QUOTE]

To summarize the hundreds of anchor posts. The anchor must fit on your boat-the windless capable of dealing with rode chain and weight- the waterline should not noticeably go down from too much bow weight. The anchor should have a record of reliably working well in the bottoms you will encounter and the scope you intend to use. The rest of the choice is really as muddy as some bottoms with plenty of tests opinions and discord. If you ignore all that and pick a modern digging anchor that fits and is sized to your boat you will be fine. If you anchor out a lot you might want to carry a fortress in the bilge with a mainly rode line as a backup.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:09 AM   #29
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
The roll bar can be an issue. On mine the roll bar locks up against the front of the pulpit. There is a stainless steel plate between the pulpit and the anchor that it contacts and a block is inserted between the shank and the anchor roller to keep it from rocking sideways. Will see how it works. So far so good.

Attachment 48291

Attachment 48292

Ted
Ted

The pictures show your Rocna is already beating up the pulpit on your gorgeous vessel. Suggest you get a SS piece for the pulpit.

I am going with a Vulcan. Good price, good reviews and bigger than current Bruce. Why am I changing? Cost and effort to re-galvanize current one not worth the hassle plus I've always felt current anchor is one chart size too small for gale+ conditions. We're doing a fit and retrieval test with real anchor in the next few weeks.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:48 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Hi Dave,

During my refit project, I changed to a Rocna 33. My boat is 45' and about 33,000 dry. Went back and forth between the 25, 33, and 40. Realistically the 25 is a little to small, the 33 was fine with a 50% surplus margin on weight, and the 40 was just ridiculous over kill that thankfully wouldn't have fit my pulpit. The 33 is for boats to 46' weighing up to 50,700 pounds. Plenty of margin for either of our boats. Will start using it in about a week when I head South.

The additional weight should have no effect on your windlass. The load of breaking an anchor out of the mud would be far greater than the additional 30 or 40 pounds from the new anchor.

Ted
Hi Ted,

I narrowed it down to either a a Spade 120 which weighs 55 # or the Vulcan 33. I agree with you though that although I'd rather deal with a 55 # anchor, it is realistically a bit small. So I'm going with the 73 # Vulcan 33. I have a Fortress FX-23 for secondary anchor. Thanks for the input. Dave
Old 01-26-2016, 06:04 AM   #31
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
In case anybody is interested, I'll be having a sale on Rocna and Vulcan anchors during the up coming Miami boat show.

Tags
anchor