City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
RE: Your idea of a perfect Anchorage?

Quote:
KJ wrote:

"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are"

Happens to me too! Odd coincidence.

Fossil Bay is by far my favorite local destination. The other bays on the island are each unique and wonderful.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #83

*Ahoy! Old Salt glad you liked my photo. Yours of Beales Bay, is amazing, such an incredible reflection. Beales Bay is not that far from where the MV Queen Of Prince Rupert ran aground in Gunboat Pass .
I have seen some photos of your boat now and love her lines. She looks to be in bristol condition. A real B.C. Coast Cruiser, made in B.C.. Good idea to have the aft deck covered , very practical for the Northwest. Provides that much needed space to hang wet slickers and boots.
Safe and Happy Boating
PJ.***
Is it ok to have more than one favorite / perfect anchorage?
Pacific Joule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Your idea of a perfect Anchorage?

Pacific Joule:

You asked, "Is it ok to have more than one favorite / perfect anchorage?"

It must be ... I have about 'leventy-seven.

Some of my favorites are in that New Bella Bella area, but that run from Kitimat to Hartley Bay, near your home port,*has some special ones.* I really liked being parked in front of the lagoon entrance at the head of Kiskosh Inlet, with the towering mountains on the west side.

C'mon Summer!

OS

Edit:

PJ:*** I guess you had to be there ... the photo I took at Kiskosh looks like all the rest of the inlet anchorages ...

-- Edited by Old_Salt on Monday 28th of February 2011 12:29:24 AM
Old_Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #85

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065

Here's another favorite anchorage: Pavlof Harbor, a well-protected spot off Freshwater Bay, which is on the west side of Chatham Strait, about 35 miles SW of Juneau.* Salmon go up this river, and brown bears are often seen.

The second one is Fern Harbor, on the north side of Cross Sound.* Not a secure anchorage in SE wind, but fine scenery in good weather.* The mountain (La Perouse, IIRC) is at the southern end of the Fairweather Range, which supplies many of the glaciers in Glacier Bay.

-- Edited by RCook on Tuesday 1st of March 2011 05:33:01 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03730029.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	5141   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008fernharborsunset1h.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	5142  
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Thanks, Richard.

I'll try Pavlof next time I'm anywhere near Hoonah, Tenakee Springs, or Peril Strait.* Looks like the only spot in Freshwater with an anchorable depth.* Great Pic.

I've passed by Fern Harbour on the way from Glacier Bay to Pelican, and again, your photography skills sure make it look great.* Caught the light just right.

Thank You.

OS
Old 03-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #87
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

These aren't from the majestic PNW but can't resist adding some more of my favorite shots that I took over the last few years on my previous boats to our trawler....I have to do something to counteract the PNW majesty and add some southern pines!

Lake Allatoona (Atlanta, GA area):

Lake Lanier, GA:

And one of my favorite shots I took on the TN River back in 2004/2005 when we did 450 miles of the river aboard the 33' express we owned at the time:

Seeing that trawler anchored peacefully for the night next to us and looking at her classic lines....pretty much decided then and there I wanted to do that too!

-- Edited by Woodsong on Tuesday 1st of March 2011 09:48:47 PM

-- Edited by Woodsong on Tuesday 1st of March 2011 09:50:52 PM
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #88

Old Salt, Here is a Pic. Of some of the local hills near my home port. The peak in the photo is 6500' and is part of the Kitimat Range. This is along the Gardner Canal, Whidbey Reach, at Courageux Pt. The Gardner Canal along with the Douglas Channel form one of the longest fjord complexes in the world.
The fjord near where this photo was taken is 275 fathoms, some of the anchorages in this area can drop off deep fast.
A pic. to show* what fog looks like from above. The*one with the tent*is looking the same direction as the one with the fog , back to where the two pics.*that were taken*from the *warter.*
Richard, Impressed with your photos of Pavlof Harbor and Fern Harbor, very nice. Dam..... things always seem bigger in Alaska.
Safe and Happy Boating PJ.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardner_Canal

-- Edited by Pacific Joule on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 01:35:59 PM

-- Edited by Pacific Joule on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 07:38:55 PM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	38.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	5145   Click image for larger version

Name:	34.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	5146   Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010433.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	5147   Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010461.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	5164   Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010462.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	5165  

Old 03-02-2011, 06:15 AM   #89

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065

Thanks OS and PJ

PJ, the Gardner Canal sure looks gorgeous. I've read about it, but in many BC coast trips I haven't gotten that far in yet - looks like I need to do so.
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #90
Veteran Member

RCook:
Richard, the Gardner Canal IS gorgeous!* Trust me.* I traveled the entire shoreline in 2007, and there are more waterfalls per nautical mile than I have ever seen in the known universe.* Its a place where you want to slow down and spin the wheel every once in a while, to take in the view of the entire 360 degrees,*
There are a number of anchorages in the Canal:* Triumph Bay near the entrance on the south side of the canal, in front of the waterfall;

a couple of places in Kiltuish Inlet, inside the tricky entrance; Owyacumish Bay has anchoring depths, but may be a little too open in a blow; Chief Mathews Bay before entering the Kitlope Valley; check your anchoring depths at Price Cove.* It does have a nice view of the Kitlope Valley; there is a little nook on the north side near the Delta that looked like a 3 way tie down, with the anchor in the nook and 2 lines to shore, but I avoided it; and the good old standby with free room and board, courtesy of Alcan, at the floats in Kemano Bay.*

Kitsaway Anchorage, west of the entrance is a good starting/ending anchorage.* Take a week.* You can get fuel and good water and free moorage at Hartley Bay, and fuel, water, groceries, moorage at MK Bay Marina in Kitimat, if you go that way.*
Dont forget to check out all the hot springs and tubs in this area.* Youll find them, but Pacific Joule would hunt me down and drill holes in my boat, if I posted their locations here.
Be careful near the Kitlope River Delta.* I think those mud flats shift around a lot and depths may not be EXACTLY as charted!
OS

-- Edited by Old_Salt on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 10:23:22 AM
Old 03-02-2011, 09:27 AM   #91
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Here's an imperfect anchorage in Rocky Pass in front of a river mouth. The beach was fairly close behind the photographer to the north. The rainbow pic faces ESE and the 2nd pic faces SW. The Willy is anchored in 2 to 3 fathoms w a 14lb Danforth. I think the bottom was hard as all my other anchors wouldn't set. We wanted to anchor in Big John Bay (a really perfect anchorage) but is was wayyyy too full of crab trap floats. The Rocky Pass channel is the distant water in the 2nd picture on the far right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	all to 12-15-09 522.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	5157   Click image for larger version

Name:	all to 12-15-09 519.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	5158  
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Pacific Joule:
I had a chance to travel the entire coastline of Douglas Channel and the Gardner Canal in 2007 from Hartley Bay (I overnighted at Kitsaway, Eagle Bay, and Miskatla Inlet as well as Kiskosh), and along with the Burke and Dean Channel complex out of New Bella Bella/Shearwater, and Rivers Inlet/Draney Inlet/Smith Inlet out of Duncanby Landing/Dawsons Landing, it makes for some really interesting side trips from the main Inside Passage route.
My highlight photo for that run isnt of the scenery, though,

It is of the PERFECT PUMP (right down to the milliliter!!!) at Kitimat.*

Eat your heart out, Seinfeld!
OS
Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Woodsong:
Thanks for the close-ups of Lake Lanier.* The photos you posted match anything posted in this thread.* I could understand if you had apologized for that guys feet cluttering up your photos!
Thanks for traveling along with me on some of Stalwyns summer journeys.* I always appreciate your comments and knowing you find time to come along for the ride.
OS
Old 03-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #94
Veteran Member

<h3 style="margin:12pt 0cm 3pt;">Nomadwilly:</h3><h3 style="margin:12pt 0cm 3pt;">You said, "Just SW of Shearwater there's a most beautiful maize of islands, channels and passageways like the west side of Hunter Is. Every time I run the IP I say I'm going to cruise and take my time doing it someday but I never do it. Always in a hurry to get south and beat the weather in the fall or hurry up and get to Alaska."</h3><h3 style="margin:12pt 0cm 3pt;">I believe you would enjoy that, Eric.* There is a week's worth of nice anchorages in that run, and the fishing, crabbing are o.k.</h3><h3 style="margin:12pt 0cm 3pt;">CHS current charts for the run from the Weather Reporting Stations at Dryad Point (north of Shearwater) and Addenbroke Island (the last report before Egg Island, just north of Cape Caution) are 3939, 3936, 3935 for the IP, and add 3937 for the run west of Hunter Island.* You only need to be exposed to Queen's Sound for a 2-3 nm run from Cultus Sound, around Superstition Point to Spider Channel.* </h3><h3 style="margin:12pt 0cm 3pt;">Several anchorages in the McNaughton Group can provide a layover out of the winds at Superstition Point, as do a couple of north facing anchorages on the south side of Cultus Sound.* Campbell Island Inlet requires a high tide entry and exit, but is VERY nice.</h3><h3 style="margin:12pt 0cm 3pt;">On the south side of Superstition Point, you can find a spot or two off Spider Anchorage, and in Bremner Bay, on the west side of Kildit Sound, and a super spot or two in Lewall Inlet in Stirling Island, at the bend or at the head.* If you exit back to Fitz Hugh Sound and the IP at Hakai Passage, you could o/n at Goldstream Harbour, south of Kelpie Point.* </h3>*
Try it!* Youll like it!
OS
Old 03-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #95

Carl, The price of premium gas at Kitimat is $1.20, and for diesel it is $1.13 an liter. Both subject to change by this summer. Safe and Happy Boating PJ.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #96
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Anyone I'm at.
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Young Mr. Stone, SIR!

I was out for 75 days on that trip, from Secret Cove to Prince Rupert, and up the inlets to Alice Arm, Kitimat, and Bella Coola.* Kitimat provided the cheapest diesel fuel on the entire 3000 nm trip.* Go figure!

OS
Old 03-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #98

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse

Quote:
Old_Salt wrote:

I was out for 75 days on that trip, from Secret Cove to Prince Rupert, and up the inlets to Alice Arm, Kitimat, and Bella Coola. *

OS
Sounds like a wonderful trip!!!
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #99

*<a></a>Old Salt, You nailed it with your recipe for exploring the Gardner Canal. The Kitlope River Delta can be a tricky place to anchor but well worth the effort. Here are some pics. Of the estuary and Kitlope lake , all accessible with a small boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	p1020856.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	5177   Click image for larger version

Name:	p1020849.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	5178   Click image for larger version

Name:	recovered_dec_08_2008_172.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	5179   Click image for larger version

Name:	recovered_dec_08_2008_176.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	5180   Click image for larger version

Name:	recovered_dec_08_2008_270.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	5181  

Old 03-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #100
Veteran Member

PJ:

I just had a great idea!

I'm gonna' quit goin' out in my boat every summer, and just wait for you to post these great pics of yours!* More!* More!***

OS